Doctor Who is accused of being "gingerist."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Doctor Who has been accused of being "gingerist" because of comments made by the new Doctor.

The new Doctor, played by Matt Smith, is seen looking at his new head of hair and saying: "Still not ginger" after regenerating from David Tennant.

The BBC has received 143 complaints, but it says that it has no "anti-ginger agenda", pointing out, quite rightly, that the Doctor's new female sidekick, Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillen, has ginger hair and so too did former sidekick Donna Noble, played by Catherine Tate.

Doctor Who does not have 'anti-ginger agenda' says BBC

By Urmee Khan, Digital and Media Correspondent
07 Jan 2010
The Telegraph

Matt Smith, the new Doctor, filming Doctor Who in the snow in Cardiff Photo: WALES NEWS SERVICE

The BBC has received 143 complaints from viewers who say the Doctor Who episide The End of Time was insulting to people with ginger hair.

Matt Smith, the new Time Lord who “regenerated” from David Tennant in the New Year's Day edition of the show, is seen looking at his new head of hair and saying: "Still not ginger".

The corporation issued a statement denying that the popular series was pursuing an “anti-ginger agenda” after parents of red-headed children complained about his first words.

“I’ve still got legs. Arms, hands, lots of fingers, eyes, hair,” said Smith, 27, after completing his regeneration from Tennant. Checking his new face, the eleventh actor to play the Doctor continued: “I’m not a doll. I’m still not ginger.”

The Doctor's new female sidekick, Amy Pond, is ginger

Parents said the episode, seen by 11 million viewers, would encourage bullying of their ginger haired children.

A statement from the corporation said: “We would like to reassure viewers that Doctor Who doesn't have an anti ginger agenda whatsoever. This was a reprise of the line in the Christmas Invasion episode in 2005, when David Tennant discovers that he's not ginger, and here he is, missing out again - disappointed he's still not ginger.”

The statement added: "In addition, the Doctor's previous companion Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) and his new one Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) are both redheads.”

telegraph.co.uk