Paul McCartney reveals monarchist leanings in schoolboy essay found 50 years on

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A newly unearthed essay written by Paul McCartney as a schoolboy which reveals his love for the monarchy has been revealed.

It was found by author Kevin Roach at the Central Library in Liverpool.

McCartney wrote the essay in 1953 when he was 10-years-old. It was also the year that Elizabeth II was crowned.

In the essay, McCartney pays tribute to "our lovely young queen" and declares that Britain's "present day royalty rules with affection rather than force".

McCartney was knighted by the Queen in 1997.

Paul McCartney reveals monarchist leanings in schoolboy essay found 50 years on

By Daily Mail Reporter
27th September 2009
Daily Mail

Joker: Paul McCartney in 1952, the year the Queen came to the Throne, pranking about by reading a comic during a class photo. McCartney wrote the prize-winning piece in 1953, the year of the Queen's coronation.

An essay written by a 10-year-old Paul McCartney that pays tribute to our 'lovely young queen' has been unearthed after more than half a century hidden in a library record office.

The handwritten piece about the Queen's coronation was found by author Kevin Roach at the Central Library in Liverpool.

Writing in 1953, the young McCartney declares that Britain's 'present day royalty rules with affection rather than force'.

In 1997, he felt that 'affection' when he was knighted by the same queen.

Mr Roach, who is researching a book about the McCartney family, described the essay as 'unique'.

He said he wasn't concerned about its value, but likened the essay to John Lennon's christening bracelet, which was the last piece of Beatles memorabilia to be sold in a private auction. It fetched £27,000.

Glorious: The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 at Westminster Abbey

Sir Paul, whose hits included Paperback Writer, was marked down for his grammar in the project, using the word 'But' at the start of a sentence.

But instead of joining the examiner in criticism, Mr Roach believes the decorative 'B' hints towards the musician's future.

'The interesting thing is that it is the same 'B' as on the early Beatles drum-kit logo in 1961 and 1962,' he said.

Discovery: The essay was found in the Central Library, Liverpool

'His handwriting is well advanced - you would say it was written by someone who was older than 10-years-old, more like 14 or 15.'

The 10-year-old, who would become one of the most famous singer songwriters of all time, entered a city council essay competition in 1953 while he was a pupil at Joseph Williams junior school in Belle Vale, Liverpool.

The Beatles in 1966

The schoolboy compares the happy scenes expected outside Buckingham Palace to the coronation of Norman invader William the Conqueror at Westminster Abbey nine centuries earlier, when a massacre of Anglo-Saxons took place.

Honoured: McCartney was knighted in 1997 by the same queen he wrote about in 1953

Sir Paul won the under-11s age group category and was presented with a prize at the Central Library by the Lord Mayor on 27 May 1953.

Mr Roach said he came across the bound collection of essays while working on a book about the history of the McCartney family.

'I did know from reading the council minutes that this competition took place, and it was then a case of looking for the actual winning entries,' he said.

He discovered the volume among a collection marked 'coronation events'. There were no clues pointing towards the rock star's essay, which is thought to be his earliest surviving creative work.

Mr Roach said many historians believe McCartney bought a book on modern art with his book token prize and that the book inspired him to become a musician.

By chance, the volume of essays were stored next to a collection of issues of Mersey Beat - the music magazine that helped launch the Beatles to become the biggest band of their generation.

Mr Roach's book 'McCartney: In The Town Where They Was Born' is released in mid October.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Margret Thatcher (the biggest Corporate w hore of all time) was the one who came up with adding nitrogen to ice cream to make it fluffier and half as much in a box.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Sir Paul, whose hits included Paperback Writer, was marked down for his grammar in the project, using the word 'But' at the start of a sentence.

But instead of joining the examiner in criticism, Mr Roach believes the decorative 'B' hints towards the musician's future.

LOL - British tabloid journalistic skills at their best.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Her Majesty:
(Lennon/McCartney)

"Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
But she doesn't have a lot to say
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
But she changes from day to day

I want to tell her that I love her a lot