Flyboys, Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Read Flyboys by James Bradley It is well worth the effort. I always considered myself something of a scholar on the second world war but I was ignorant of so many things about the war in the Pacific I couldn't believe it . The book is full of hard facts but with Bradley's unique style of writing, it is very easy to read. The book is a sequel to "Flags of Our Fathers" by the same author which I have also ordered.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I might have to purchase that, Flags of Our Fathers was an excellent book.

Have you seen film version of Flags of Our Fathers?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I might have to purchase that, Flags of Our Fathers was an excellent book.

Have you seen film version of Flags of Our Fathers?

God! I didn't know there was a film. I guess I lead a sheltered life ;-) Surely Blockbusters will have it. I will find it...Thanks

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
God! I didn't know there was a film. I guess I lead a sheltered life ;-) Surely Blockbusters will have it. I will find it...Thanks

It is quite good and faithful to the book. It is directed by Clint Eastwood and was nominated for a couple oscars I believe.

You might also want to watch "Letters from Iwo Jima", which is not based on one of his books but is an original screenplay similar to Flags but from the perspective of the Japanese during the battle.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It is quite good and faithful to the book. It is directed by Clint Eastwood and was nominated for a couple oscars I believe.

You might also want to watch "Letters from Iwo Jima", which is not based on one of his books but is an original screenplay similar to Flags but from the perspective of the Japanese during the battle.

I have them both ordered......Thanks

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The two Clint Eastwood movies were great. I have them both as well.

I've read both books and think they are a couple of the two best reads ever. I prefer the Flyboys book as it is jam packed with readable information. Bradley has such a great style.

Juan... you are aware that Bradley is the son of one of the Iwo Jima flagraisers right?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The two Clint Eastwood movies were great. I have them both as well.

I've read both books and think they are a couple of the two best reads ever. I prefer the Flyboys book as it is jam packed with readable information. Bradley has such a great style.

Juan... you are aware that Bradley is the son of one of the Iwo Jima flagraisers right?

Yes. That info is given fairly early in the book....Might even be on the flyleaf or in the author's forward.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I just finished watching "Letters from Iwo Jima". The movie was all about the Japanese side of a desperate battle.. The Japanese military was a mere shadow of it's former self and the Japanese defenders of Iwo Jima had no hope of any help from any other part of their military. I think Clint Eastwood did a good job of directing this movie. Particularly good when we consider that is is a Japanese language movie with English sub-titles.

PS...I've just started reading Flags of my Fathers..

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Finished "Flags of our Fathers"

It was a good read. Americans paid a terrible price to capture Iwo Jima, likewise, the Japanese paid a terrible price to defend it. It was one of those awful battles with high casualties on both sides but I don't know if either side would have fought the battle any differently. Given a choice, I might have wanted to use the B-29s more on the tunnels but I really don't have any idea.