Which TV Western Was The Best?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Nick Adams as The Rebel, Richard Boone as Paladin,"Have Gun,Will Travel",The Rifleman with Chuck Connors,Henry Fonda in The Deputy,Wagon Train,where Clint Eastwood first became known..all good series. Or, do you prefer the lighter ones, like Bonanza?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I remember running as fast as I could to get home from school so I could watch the Rifleman over lunch. Haven't seen it in years so it might actually be a horrible show...but to a 7 or 8 year old, Chuck was as cool as they come.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would have to say "Gunsmoke" with Mr Dillon and Chester and Kitty was the best of that lot.

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
F Troop - remember The Heckowee Indians - They got their name from getting lost - When questioned who they are they replied - Where the Heck Are We???

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Nick Adams as The Rebel, Richard Boone as Paladin,"Have Gun,Will Travel",The Rifleman with Chuck Connors,Henry Fonda in The Deputy,Wagon Train,where Clint Eastwood first became known..all good series. Or, do you prefer the lighter ones, like Bonanza?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 'Rawhide' was clint eastwood's first
tv western. It is a good series, even today, as they ran it through on
sattelite recently, and I watched all of them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
F Troop - remember The Heckowee Indians - They got their name from getting lost - When questioned who they are they replied - Where the Heck Are We???

Are they related to the lost fugawee tribe who's plaintiff cry could be heard before they became extinct: "Where the fugaawee?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There were a lot of them, but Big Country and Ice Palace were a couple of the best.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would have to say "Gunsmoke" with Mr Dillon and Chester and Kitty was the best of that lot.

I loved Gunsmoke, and watched them 'ove'r again recently on sattelite.
Loved Bonanza too. Have gun will travel, bat masterson, nick adams series too,
The guy who played chester has been in many many old westerns, and he is a
singer, with a beautiful voice. Sang with the sons of the pioneers in 'Rio Grande', which I have, and just watched again, also was in the Searchers, with
John Wayne, and he sang a few lines.
The Rifleman was one of my favourites.

I tried watching the new one called 'Deadwood', but all the swearing just didn't
fit in to the idea of westerns, got bored with it for that reason.
I'm sure there was lots of swearing in real life in the old west, but it wasn't
added to the movies and tv series, so it seems like an afterthought, and 'phony'.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I bought Season ! and 2 of Deadwood, but lost all interest in it after the Wild Bill character met his death,a very sordid attempt at modernizing the old western genre. A better buy is the Ultimate TV Westerns from Millcreek,12DVDs of episodes from Rifleman,Bonanza,Roy Rogers,Range Rider,Cisco Kid,Bat Masterson, Annie Oakley,The Deputy,Wagon Train,etc: 150 episodes from 29 series and costing under 30 dollars:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is why we were warned about TV kiddies. Way back in the day when all these unfortunates had this embedding done and they continue respond to brand names perfectly spurring an urge to visit distant shores with minimal triggering. How much crap can thier old hard drives hold anyway Mr Dillion? I don't know Festus I goin to stand back though.:lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I loved Gunsmoke, and watched them 'ove'r again recently on sattelite.
Loved Bonanza too. Have gun will travel, bat masterson, nick adams series too,
The guy who played chester has been in many many old westerns, and he is a
singer, with a beautiful voice. Sang with the sons of the pioneers in 'Rio Grande', which I have, and just watched again, also was in the Searchers, with
John Wayne, and he sang a few lines.
The Rifleman was one of my favourites.

I tried watching the new one called 'Deadwood', but all the swearing just didn't
fit in to the idea of westerns, got bored with it for that reason.
I'm sure there was lots of swearing in real life in the old west, but it wasn't
added to the movies and tv series, so it seems like an afterthought, and 'phony'.
I don't like modern day westerns. I did love to watch Gunsmoke and Bonanza. I only saw a few episodes of The Rifleman but I liked it too. There is the odd movie where some swearing is applicable but for the most part, if I start to watch a movie and it's loaded with foul language I go do something else. These days they seem to be so intent on adding in foul language that they lose track of what might have been a good movie. Actors are not the same anymore either and it's hard to choose anyone who is really good at their job.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't like modern day westerns. I did love to watch Gunsmoke and Bonanza. I only saw a few episodes of The Rifleman but I liked it too. There is the odd movie where some swearing is applicable but for the most part, if I start to watch a movie and it's loaded with foul language I go do something else. These days they seem to be so intent on adding in foul language that they lose track of what might have been a good movie. Actors are not the same anymore either and it's hard to choose anyone who is really good at their job.

Yes, I agree, I get very tired of the swearing and overkill of sex and violence,
not sure why they feel they have to resort to that low level for entertainment,
maybe because they cater to the young people, who haven't yet gotton over
the 'fad' of being impressed with overdoses of swearing, violence and sex, (in
a form that doesn't really resemble life).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

And then there was "Little House on the Prairie"- Mrs. Olsen and "Half Pint" were the stars of that show- Nellie too as detestable as she was.