What's Everyone Reading?

Said1
I'm not reading anything right now - except for an old copy of "how to win friends and influence people' I keep in the can for divination purposes.

Vereya
I am reading Glen Cook now - The Black Company. A bit depressive, and a very male book, but quite readable.

Colpy
Wellington: Years of the Sword by Elizabeth Longford

Fascinating guy........

Zan
+1
I recently read Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Not gonna lie - the first 1/3 or so of the book was almost excruciatingly dry. If you can manage to persevere through that though, the remainder is well worth it.

It's a very thought provoking novel about a young boy who finds himself adrift on the high seas in a lifeboat with a zebra, an orangutan, a hyena, and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

I'd recommend this one, but not as a light and fluffy read. A character within the novel claimed the story would make you believe in God - not sure I'd go that far, but the ending certainly challenged some perspectives I'd had while I was reading it.

Walter
'Hard Evidence' by John Lescroart.

scratch
I belong to a few book clubs and I haven't seen much in a while worth ordering less reading. You need to have some one refer you(these days) to a good book or you will never find out about it.

regs
scratch

#juan
I read mostly fiction. I enjoy Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels, John Sandford's Prey thrillers and just about anything by Anne Perry.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by scratchView Post

I belong to a few book clubs and I haven't seen much in a while worth ordering less reading. You need to have some one refer you(these days) to a good book or you will never find out about it.

regs
scratch

I recently re-read the Stand, uncut version and the Road. Both excellent. I love books that have 'end of time' themes, focusing on survival of survivors. The Road made me cry a lot, the main characters are a boy and his son, real tear jerker.

I'm planning to read 'the Andromena Strain' one of these days and am looking for the original book version of the movie "i am legend". "Black Hawk Down' is unread on the book shelf too, anyone read that one?

Risus
Posts on Canadian Content....

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

Posts on Canadian Content....

Sounds boring.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Wellington: Years of the Sword by Elizabeth Longford

Fascinating guy........

That actually sounds interesting. I might look it up next trip to the library.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

Sounds boring.

Now now, thats not nice to some of the folks here

Hazmart
I right into Jodi Picoult right now!

scratch
Hey Haz,

Good book?

regs
scratch

Hazmart

Hey Haz,

Good book?

regs
scratch

She has many good books, I am reading Mercy right now but have read a lot of hers. I also like Janet Evanovich.

Colpy

That actually sounds interesting. I might look it up next trip to the library.

It is excellent, but Lady Pakenham (Ms. Longford) is a relative, can say little bad about Mr. Wellesley...........and it was written in the 60s. It might be hard to find.....I got it in a used book store.

More interesting as popular history was Napolean and Wellington, by Andrew Roberts . recent, so easier to find.

I read history almost exclusively.........

Cliffy
I just spent a year reading history doing research for my book on our local natives. I'm kinda burned out on reading right now. The short stuff on here is about all I can handle. When I was reading a lot, I loved Tom Robbins. Couldn't get enough of his turn of phrase.
Mostly I was into philosophy, science and metaphysics. Not too much fiction.

gopher
+1
I'm going to try to read At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft.

Lester
I just finished "the road" about a journey a man and his son take in post apocolyptic America- No civilization, the entire country looted,starvation,except for the rampant cannabalism, and a nice nuclear winter thrown in for good measure. Very distubing, but a page turner.

Said1

Atlas Shrugged for the umpteenth time. Needed some relief.

r;s

I barrley made it through that one, even though I tried numerous times. I liked 'the virtues of selfishness', though.

Said1

Said1,

Make and effort to read no more than 10 pages at a time.

It's what is known as a `hard read.`

regards
scratch

I didn't find it hard, I found it boring. I was disappointed with Rand on that one more than anything.

Risus
MacLean's Magazine. Dec 15, Newsmakers '08

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

It is excellent, but Lady Pakenham (Ms. Longford) is a relative, can say little bad about Mr. Wellesley...........and it was written in the 60s. It might be hard to find.....I got it in a used book store.

More interesting as popular history was Napolean and Wellington, by Andrew Roberts . recent, so easier to find.

I read history almost exclusively.........

There certainly isn't anything wrong about reading history. Some of it is really fascinating.

karrie
My current reading is a mishmash.

Introductory Statistics
General Psychology
Immune correlates of stress and sleep deprivation
The Mind/Body connection
Assorted other articles and texts on psychoneuroimmunology

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

My current reading is a mishmash.

Introductory Statistics
General Psychology
Immune correlates of stress and sleep deprivation
The Mind/Body connection
Assorted other articles and texts on psychoneuroimmunology

What the &%E#@# is psychoneuroimmunology ??????

karrie

What the &%E#@# is psychoneuroimmunology ??????

The study of how mental states effect the immune system and cause illness.

Risus

The study of how mental states effect the immune system and cause illness.

Its all in the head....

karrie

Its all in the head....

It starts in the head, and spreads out from there.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

I'm going to try to read At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft.

I've read some Lovecraft, quite a lot, in fact, though I didn't read the Mountains of Madness. Lovecraft is very interesting and very exciting, and it's very intrguing where did he get all those legends from. They seem to be too credible to be invented.

Vereya

It starts in the head, and spreads out from there.

Like, you can worry yourself into a fever that would last for weeks?