Price of books so much higher in CAN

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I have been doing a book project for 2 nursing homes, and every book, hardback or paperback is priced a good bit higher in Canada.

For example, I just picked up a random paperback, and it was $7.99 in the US and $10.99 in Canada. What in the world causes these books so much higher in Canada? In the old days, the US tried to encourage people to read and to share books. We have a special lower
postal rate for mailing books.

Why are the books so much higher in Canada? Why books in particular?

Uncle

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It was the difference in the dollar added to greed minus the fact that Canadians are like sheep. Now, the dollar's about par so the difference is more greed and Canadians who'll still pay the price.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
of course....the fact that most of these books are published in the states and must be shipped to Canada, clear customs...brokerage fees, duty..... has nothing to do with the higher price.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
And higher wages on this side of the border too. It all adds up eventually. Products aren't priced by throwing a dart at a board.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Though a 20% difference can make a huge difference to the price of textbooks. That's at least $100 a semester in my case.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I just had some of my latest book printed in the US but by the time i got them, with shipping and exchange, the price per copy was more than double the original.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I just had some of my latest book printed in the US but by the time i got them, with shipping and exchange, the price per copy was more than double the original.

That's why I don't read books.... if I want to, I'll read something worthwhile online.

It's like buying a really long and boring movie. You take days to read a big book and then when you're done, it sits there on the shelf collecting dust..... much like most of the movies I have collected.

Once in a while you may pick them back up to refresh yourself, but why not just goto the library and save yourself a couple of bucks?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I have been doing a book project for 2 nursing homes, and every book, hardback or paperback is priced a good bit higher in Canada.

For example, I just picked up a random paperback, and it was $7.99 in the US and $10.99 in Canada. What in the world causes these books so much higher in Canada? In the old days, the US tried to encourage people to read and to share books. We have a special lower
postal rate for mailing books.

Why are the books so much higher in Canada? Why books in particular?

Uncle
Something you have to consider is: Books are ordered early. They are paid for at the same time (or close to the same time). They are paid for in CAD. When you wrote this post, the dollar was higher in Canada but not when books of the time had been ordered and a price had been agreed to. I didn't notice where you are from. I do know though that the store I work for often sells all pocket books (exception being Harlequin Romance novels) at 30% off which puts them about on par or less then the USA books. If you are in B.C. you can probably come to the store and talk to the book dept. and get 20% off all the books you buy. Teachers do as long as they are school books and not just books they feel like reading. For the most part, our books are cheaper then Chapters. Costco sells books cheaper but they don't have the selection we have.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No - I'm not referring to Walmart. I don't even know if they sell books. The store I work in is mainly in BC and there are a few in Alberta - none in Calgary. I work for Save On More Foods.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't know where my post went!!! I did answer this a min. ago. Oh well! Again - the store I work for is mainly in BC and there are some in Alberta but none in Calgary. New store just opened up somewhere in Edmonton. I work for Save On Foods.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Save on More Foods completely slipped my mind. 30% sounds like a good deal if it is for all pocket books. And the Save on More store I know has a real bookstore in it and not just one or two aisle like those in Walmart, Superstore or London Drugs. Time to visit Save on More Foods again :smile:
They are not always on for that price. Watch for the flyer - usually near the last couple of pages. I still see some going through at 30% off right now though.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Are you refering to Walmart? If not, what store is that? I love to buy the pocket books at 30% off.

The best place to buy pocket books are:

Walmart 30% off
Real Canadian Superstore 25% off
London Drugs 20% off

Feel free to add...

I wouldn't spend a dime in WalMart....