Dr Who fans' anger as 2,500 try and call Doctor's phone number shown during show

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
10 million people - almost one-sixth of Britain's population - tuned into BBC1 yesterday evening to watch the final episode of the current series of Dr Who.

The Doctor and his friends were battling to save the Universe of the evil Davros and the Daleks, who tried to wipe out every species in the Universe except themselves, leaving them the only beings in the Universe.

Also, 2500 Dr Who fans have been left angry after they tried to phone the Doctor, whose mobile phone number appeared in last night's epsode.

The new Series of Dr Who should have returned next year, but instead won't be onscreens until 2010 as David Tennant, who plays the Doctor, will be playing Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company. Tennant will appear in four one-off episodes but will NOT appear in the new series - which means the Doctor will have to go through one of his metamorphoses into a new form.

Robert Carlyle, James McAvoy and David Morrissey are the favourites to be the next Doctor.

The show is the world's longest-running sci-fi, having been on British screens since 1963.

Dr Who fans' anger as 2,500 try and call Doctor's mobile number shown during show

By Laura Roberts
06th July 2008
Daily Mail

Davros and the Daleks tried to destroy every life form in the Universe, except themselves, in last night's episode

As the Time Lord he moves between dimensions with ease - but that didn't stop Dr Who fans from trying to track him down.

During Saturday night's grand finale to the latest series, millions of fans were surprised to see his personal mobile telephone number appear on screen.

On screen, the number 07700 900461 was shown as mankind tried to make contact with the TARDIS to the Doctor to scupper the invasion plans of Dalek leader Davros.

The Doctor's private mobile number appeared on screen during the final episode of the current series last night, which was watched by 10 million people

But while his sidekicks Martha Jones, Sarah Jane Smith and the Torchwood team managed to get through, fans thinking they had a chance to speak to their hero, played by David Tennant, were left disappointed.

More than 2,500 people tried the digits - before TV industry watchdog Ofcom revealed that it was a simply a special number reserved for television dramas.

One fan complained to the BBC's website: 'Grrr - I phoned the Doctor's phone number but there was just an annoying network message.

'What's the point in showing a phone number if you're not gonna use it?!'

A spokesman for the BBC, who film the series in Cardiff, said: 'Sorry - the number, and almost any number you'll ever see in a TV drama or hear in a radio drama, is fake.

'It's part of a range of numbers reserved by Ofcom .

'In fact if you ever see 07700 followed by a 9 you can be pretty certain it's a fake number for drama purposes only.'

The finale was watched by 9.8 million viewers at its peak and made up 47 per cent of the total audience share.

But the show experienced a backlash from some fans yesterday who felt tricked by David Tennant's regeneration - after frenzied anticipation that a new Dr Who would be introduced to the series.

Some fans accused scriptwriter Russell T Davies of creating a contrived story-line in order to continue Mr Tennant's run as Dr Who.

One fan wrote on BBC message boards: 'In fact the fake regeneration was a trick, a magic power to solve all the problems, AND a back-door way to let the Doctor stay with Rose and travel in our universe at the same time - so I found it very annoying.

'It's making the doctor's regeneration into a throwaway device, like the magic sonic screwdriver - not a good way to treat the regeneration.

'And the explanation was rubbish - 'Oh, I just decided I didn't need to regenerate, so why should I?' with a bit of technobabble thrown in. Definitely not good.'

Another fan said: 'After the 4th overblown conclusion in a row, I'm certain ready for a change, and a bit less reliance on 'never mind the plot, just feel the emotion and look at the big bangs'.'

The same argument raged on Dr Who fansites.

One wrote: 'As much as I have loved (and still do) David's version of the Doctor, I feel it really is time for a change. The script is so predictable for the Doctor now, we really need a breath of fresh air, and that is hard to say coming from one of his most devoted fans.'

It has not yet been confirmed whether Tennant will complete a full fifth series of Dr Who.

He will star in a Doctor Who Christmas special this year and another three specials next year but is not confirmed for the next series in 2010.

The fifth series has been postponed so that the Casanova star can play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Bookmakers William Hill have tipped the three favourites to succeed Tennant as actors David Morrissey, Robert Carlyle, and James McAvoy.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: