My Beautiful Mommy

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

A book written for children by a plastic surgeon, to help explain the changes mommy is going through when she heads to the plastic surgeon.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

Is there a coupon in the book for little missies first make-over for entry into the child-beauty contests.... a la Jean Benet Ramsey...?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

Is there a coupon in the book for little missies first make-over for entry into the child-beauty contests.... a la Jean Benet Ramsey...?

heck no. There doesn't need to be. If mommy is going for surgery because her face isn't good enough, then the kids will know, when they grow up with mommy's original face, that it's not good enough either. Why give out a coupon when you're guaranteed the child will be in too?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

A book written for children by a plastic surgeon, to help explain the changes mommy is going through when she heads to the plastic surgeon.

And the irony of the matter is that some women(and men, I'm sure) get addicted to plastic surgery and end up looking like something less than human. I saw somewhere that one woman had over 50 trips to the surgeon! Besides making her look pretty awful, I imagine that she spent a LOT of money.

senorita

Nominee Member
Oct 29, 2007
Ontario
If I could, I'd add a few inches to my height....but I guess thats why they invented high heels. :p

It's pretty sad though. How some people have such a twisted way of seeing themselves. Amazing what a low self esteem will lead to. Sigh. It's sad seeing beautiful and healthy 12 year old girls saying they hate the way they look. I find it's one of the toughest issues to work with- which is not good seeing as thats my line of work at the moment.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Apart from the objections that have already been raised, I sometimes wonder where this kind of inanity will lead.

If there's some kind of perfect ideal that we're supposed to be aiming for, how long before it's difficult to find a woman who is actually unique? Isn't that part of what makes us all beautiful?

Although, I do think there are times when corrective surgery must be a blessing - for those unfortunate people who are born with a physical trait that is so extreme that it causes them all kinds of social and emotional difficulties, I think these people have every good reason to minimize that problem for themselves - it's one thing to stand out because you're beautiful - quite another to be immediately noticed due to some physical anomaly that could be easily corrected.

For those who have been born with perfectly fine features and persist in trying to perfect what is already perfect, I feel bad for them.

BUT... what about women who go under the knife to restore what time and it's evil twin (gravity) has ravaged? Is that the same thing? I don't think so, and if I could I believe I'd have a few items refurbished .. not necessarily 'better than before'... but at least a close facsimile of their previous state of being...wouldn't take much, and even if I was the only one who noticed, I'd be pretty ok with that. :p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've had at least 4 corrective plastic surgeries, 5 if you count the skin graft, as a child, plus 2 minor corrective surgeries since I've become an adult. That would total up to a whopping 7 operations that 'technically' count as plastic surgeries. All were technically elective. But I tend to not class them in with the nose job/boob job/liposuction. All were issues that I'd happily have repaired if they occurred in my kids, and issues that wouldn't have required a book to explain to my kids. "Mommy's going to have a tumor removed today". End of story.

I think the same goes for a lot of physical wear and tear. It's easy to explain that to kids. Heck, their dad may be going in for a nose job soon, that'll be a snap to explain, since it has nothing to do with daddy wanting to be more 'beautiful', simply wanting to have his crooked nose fixed so he can breathe through it.

Repairing the ravages of time and gravity, well, I think that tends to fall somewhere in between. But, having gone through so many surgeries, i have a hard time imagining how bad it would have to be before I'd be willing to do anaesthetic again.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Such books ARE unbelievable. I can't imagine that plastic surgeries have become such a common thing already. However, when I think about it... I really-truly hope that by the time I am fifty, plastic surgeries are going to be available to practically anyone. When I think about growing older, about dying, I come to the conclusion that I am not at all afraid of death. It's something that has to be done in this life, the great finale to a long trip, and I'll welcome it when my time comes. But I am terribly afraid of growing old. You know, all those effects of time and gravity that Zan mentioned. I shudder at the thought of wrinkles, and that saggy skin, and thinning hair. It's a kind of a fobia with me. I wish I could always be young. Not necessarily beautiful, just young. So in a couple of decades I'll be looking for a good plastic surgeon, I guess...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Such books ARE unbelievable. I can't imagine that plastic surgeries have become such a common thing already. However, when I think about it... I really-truly hope that by the time I am fifty, plastic surgeries are going to be available to practically anyone. When I think about growing older, about dying, I come to the conclusion that I am not at all afraid of death. It's something that has to be done in this life, the great finale to a long trip, and I'll welcome it when my time comes. But I am terribly afraid of growing old. You know, all those effects of time and gravity that Zan mentioned. I shudder at the thought of wrinkles, and that saggy skin, and thinning hair. It's a kind of a fobia with me. I wish I could always be young. Not necessarily beautiful, just young. So in a couple of decades I'll be looking for a good plastic surgeon, I guess...

I wouldn't worry too much about that, Vereya. I'll bet that women would wish that they would look as good as you do when that times comes.:smile:

Personally, I think as long as a person feels young, they can "be" young. A person that gets all of the extras done may end up feeling just as "old" as they did before they got the "improvements", regardless of how young they "look".

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I live in plastic surgery land. I find it strange that people are expected to always look young. I'm not yet 30, so maybe it will hit me in a while, but I don't like the idea that 40 year olds should want to look 20 while 60 year olds want to look 40, etc.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I think people consider plastic surgery as a way to solve problems out. Because nowadays good-looking is so important.
Yes, it's VERY important.... more important than brains!:roll: Of course, if someone is disfigured... I'm all for plastic surgery.
Did you know that the Britons spend more on plastic surgery than on tea?? Imagine that!!

"How Much money is spent each year on Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Procedures and Non-Invasive Treatments Loke Botox Injections, Restylane Injections, Radiesse Injections, Chemical peels and Microdermabrasion?"

Over 12 Billion Dollars in the US alone!

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
<P>   Thanks Karrie for just putting mums up in my mind again. Sunday is Mother's Day. Love them all and never ever forget that yours is the best.Cheers.</P>

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Totally off topic,how do I contact a member from years ago? her name was Kelly fairchild and she was doing her best to stiffen the laws against child abuse. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.