Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Gallows were formed in their home town of Watford, Hertfordshire, in 2005 and released their debut album in 2006, which was released in June 2007 with added bonus tracks.

According to the author of the article, they are the best thing to come out of Watford since Liverpool and England footballer John barnes.

The group's heavy punk is reminiscent of The Sex Pistols and Frank Carter's vocals are sung in a similar accent to those that Jonny Rotten sung in.

In case you haven't heard of them, here's a comment on their debut album "Orchestra of Wolves"

The Hertfordshire punk band are reminiscent of The Sex Pistols

GALLOWS are:

Frank Carter - Vocals
Laurent Barnard - Guitar
Steph Carter - Guitar
Stuart Gili-Ross - Bass
Lee Barratt - Drums

This is surely the best thing to have come out of Watford since John Barnes. This is Gallows’ debut album and it is ****ing brilliant.

Orchestra Of Wolves is an old-school punk rock-fuelled hardcore monstrosity that is topped off quite fantastically by Frank Carter’s unholy story-telling racket. Plus, it’s all quite unmistakeably British.

It all explodes with discordance and terror with the opening track ‘Kill The Rhythm’. The rhythm in question is fantastically off-kilter, swerving and morphing JR Ewing-style. You’ll have to catch the slippery bugger before you can kill it.

Old tracks like the marvellously swinging ‘Abandon Ship’ and the bile-ridden, brooding anger diatribe ‘Will Someone Shoot That ****ing Snake’ have been re-recorded with outstanding production that gets all the levels right but doesn’t add an unwelcome sheen to this grittier-than-gritty record, maintaining the underground feel which is imperative in a debut.

GALLOWS: Hanging at the infamous Tyburn (London), in the early 1700s!!

Keyboards play significant roles in songs like ‘In The Belly Of A Shark’, which The Bronx would be proud of, and ‘Rolling With The Punches’, adding a near-comedic Addams Family element. But you know that while they’re flashing you a smile they’ll also be slipping flick-knives out of their pockets.

The key factor in this record’s brilliance is that Gallows know how to write ambitiously technical hardcore songs using highly personal subject material and turn them into sing-along friendly anthems that even your gran will be tapping her foot along to.

Take the title track with its horrendously hilarious lyrics that tell tales of love without alcohol, bringing a whole new level of reality to the fore. As Carter screams, “I want you to wake up and remember my name when you’re washing my cum off your ****ing face”, you’ll realise it’s the most painfully truthful and heartfelt love song you’ve heard this year. I promise you that.

With the disturbing air of malevolence, excellent artwork and hard-hitting but entertaining lyrics, Gallows may well have produced the finest debut album to emerge from the UK in 2006.

Track listing
  1. "Kill the Rhythm"
  2. "Come Friendly Bombs"
  3. "Abandon Ship"
  4. "In the Belly of a Shark"
  5. "Six Years"
  6. "Rolling with the Punches"
  7. "Last Fight for the Living Dead"
  8. "Just Because You Sleep Next to Me Doesn't Mean You're Safe"
  9. "Will Someone Shoot That ****ing Snake"
  10. "Stay Cold"
  11. "I Promise This Won't Hurt"
  12. "Orchestra of Wolves"
  13. "Sick Of Feeling Sick" (new song)
  14. "Black Heart Queen" (new song)
  15. "Nervous Breakdown" (Black Flag cover)/"Staring at the Rude Boys" (hidden track)(The Ruts cover)
http://www.drownedinsound.com/release/view/8199

Last edited: