Movies

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If anyone here hasn't yet seen Oceans 13, I would suggest it's a waste of time. The movie had Brad Pitt and George Clooney and Elliot Gould, and others, but it just never got going. I enjoyed the first one but by the time this movie was about half finished I no longer cared what happened

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I hate it when they milk a plot like that. It's only about money and often they make enough riding on the success of the first one that it justifies making a 3rd. Stupid, just let it go.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are right there. While I was in the video store I noticed that they had the latest incarnation of
"Die Hard". This will be I think, the fifth one..........and mercifully, they were all out.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Something you might want to look for is Zatôichi, The Blind Swordsman, very cool and does a magnificent job of incorporating cgi into the action. Foreign flick out a few years ago.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks Unf

I will get that one.

Have you noticed how many movies are re-makes of older, popular movies. A few years ago there was a half decent action movie called "The Italian Job". I see it's been re-made. Every year during the Christmas season, somebody remakes Dicken's "Skrooge". Somebody should declare that Alastair Sim's black and white version is the benchmark, and if you can't do better, stay home...... Just kidding......I think....:roll::smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thanks Unf

I will get that one.

Have you noticed how many movies are re-makes of older, popular movies. A few years ago there was a half decent action movie called "The Italian Job". I see it's been re-made. Every year during the Christmas season, somebody remakes Dicken's "Skrooge". Somebody should declare that Alastair Sim's black and white version is the benchmark, and if you can't do better, stay home...... Just kidding......I think....:roll::smile:
It's impossible that anyone could improve on the original Skrooge, when Rich Little made his skrooge thing I considered traveling to Burback to kick him in the nuts.:lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thanks Unf

I will get that one.

It's impossible that anyone could improve on the original Skrooge, when Rich Little made his skrooge thing I considered traveling to Burbank to kick him in the nuts.:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Watched two movies the other night: Oceans 13, and Sicko.

As I've said, I thought Oceans 13 was a waste of time.......No wonder it was never shown in the theatres.

I thought Sicko was interesting. I've read enough about the American health care system and talked to enough of my relatives about the American health care system to know that it is far from perfect. It's too bad really. The country that should have the best system, has one of the worst for a lot of their people.

Last edited:

drumsofdeath

Feb 19, 2008
i finally just watched oceans 13 as well, i agree with it being a complete waste of time, they can only reuse a plot so many times and try to add new crazy elements so many times, also the split screen drives me mental and seems so contrived and seems to have no real reason, but thats just me, i hate split screen stuff to start with. the only thing i like about it was the music at certain points, they did a great job on the soundtrack.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Thanks Unf

I will get that one.

You shouldn't be kidding about Alister Simms in "Scrooge"..........we have it on DVD, and it is the only one we watch.......

3:10 to Yuma is good. Christian Bale and Russel Crowe.

Martian Boy with John Cusack I liked.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is sort of the warm up attempt at Snatch. But both movies, who have many of the same actors, both are worth watching.

As to Sicko, there is a series by the guy that made Super Size Me, that has people spend 30 days well out of their comfort zone and in the shoes of another. One had himself and his wife, living for thirty days in a new city working minimum wage jobs. It was tough and though they actually made it through the month, they did have a hospital bill that resulted due to an injury at work, that made them broke by the end of the month.

This was a glaring hole in the medical system in the US and Canada to an extent.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I watched '3:10 to Yuma, excellent movie, and, if you can, buy the original movie, now on
DVD, starring Glen Ford and Van Heflin, not just a dumb ass old western, it's a very good
old western, and enjoyable. The actors are just as good as the recent ones, and the
story is the same.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
3:10 to Yuma was a really good movie talloola. I don't often like Western genre, but, that was a great one.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Watched "Jaws" again on the weekend for about the 12th time since it came out in 1975. Hard to believe it was that long ago. That movie was fast, entertaining, and reasonably accurate and has likely made the producers a pretty fair profit.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Watched "Jaws" again on the weekend for about the 12th time since it came out in 1975. Hard to believe it was that long ago. That movie was fast, entertaining, and reasonably accurate and has likely made the producers a pretty fair profit.

Quint (Robert Shaw) rocked that movie. Gnarly old fisherman, full of spit and fury pitted against the menacing unknown that was the shark embodied evil. In my opinion that really made Roy Scheiders career. The helpless protagonist pulls salvation from the jaws of damnation by over coming his own fears and tapping into the primal instinct.

What a shame that by the fourth movie it had gone to the bottom like so many shipwrecks.

Remember all the Tshirts that came out after that? Lips, Gums, Braces and so on. heh heh

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quint (Robert Shaw) rocked that movie. Gnarly old fisherman, full of spit and fury pitted against the menacing unknown that was the shark embodied evil. In my opinion that really made Roy Scheiders career. The helpless protagonist pulls salvation from the jaws of damnation by over coming his own fears and tapping into the primal instinct.

What a shame that by the fourth movie it had gone to the bottom like so many shipwrecks.

Remember all the Tshirts that came out after that? Lips, Gums, Braces and so on. heh heh

Oh God that is a blast from the past. There was one group around that same time who made a movie called "Tentacles", and they even managed to get Henry Fonda to be in it. The whole premise was this giant octopus that snatched people off boats, and babies out of baby carriages. I don't know if it ever hit the theatres. I saw it on the tube. It was pretty bad. I ended up rooting for the octopus.........:smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Unf. Would you say Jaws was the first big "Summer Blockbuster"?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Unf. Would you say Jaws was the first big "Summer Blockbuster"?

Well I don't know really, but it did have a huge effect on people and sharks in general. There were I remember a massive amount of sharks killed due to fears invoked by the movie and fishermen cashing in on those fears.

The movie itself was very successful though I'm not sure what it realldid at the box office.
I suspect that it made enough to result in an attempt to cash in 3 more times on the story. So that in and of itself should dictate that this was one of the summer time block busters if not the big show of the year.