Bands I've seen this week....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Monday night saw my husband and I at a concert for the Silver Sun Pickups. It was pretty damn good for a relatively small bar concert. But, the lead singers vocals were lost in a poorly balanced sound system, and with them, his unique sound is so much of what makes the band, I was disappointed. They opened with 'well thought out twinkies', and the whole building just erupted. Very cool. I'd happily go see them again.

Last night saw us at a bar with Captain Tractor playing. Friends of friends, they are such a fun band. We've been fans of them since I was in high school, and just recently our social network has grown to envelope friends of theirs, so getting to go dance our butts off to their music last night was just that little bit extra special.

I've been so spoiled lately!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Am I right in guessing that these bands are CW artists.

Nope.

here's the main page for silver sun pickups. You can click in, find the music tab, and run an MP3 sample of their song 'well thought out twinkies' if you'd like to hear them.

As for Captain Tractor... folk? I don't know what the right description for them would be really. Here's one of their videos. I could probably dig up more, but, it's a good example of their overall feel.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol. Nope, no line dancing to either of those bands. At the silver sun pickups concert, it was like standing in a sea of bobble heads.... all anyone did is nod their heads to the beat. Very odd for me. I'm used to dancing.

And then Captain Tractor is fast with an Irish flare to it, so everyone just goes nuts, doing their own thing, the total opposite of the silver sun pickups crowd.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Karrie, I've heard the song "well thought out twinkies" had no idea of the name or the band THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Monday night saw my husband and I at a concert for the Silver Sun Pickups. It was pretty damn good for a relatively small bar concert. But, the lead singers vocals were lost in a poorly balanced sound system, and with them, his unique sound is so much of what makes the band, I was disappointed. They opened with 'well thought out twinkies', and the whole building just erupted. Very cool. I'd happily go see them again.

Last night saw us at a bar with Captain Tractor playing. Friends of friends, they are such a fun band. We've been fans of them since I was in high school, and just recently our social network has grown to envelope friends of theirs, so getting to go dance our butts off to their music last night was just that little bit extra special.

I've been so spoiled lately!

I really like their song "Lazy Eye". The version I have on my computer is 7m27s, and is a lot different than the version they play on the radio.:smile::cool:

scoobydude

Oct 3, 2007
The Silversun Pickups are great! i've never seen them live but i've seen them perform on the Letterman show. i definitely wanna catch a concert in the future

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Silversun Pickups are great! i've never seen them live but i've seen them perform on the Letterman show. i definitely wanna catch a concert in the future

they were awesome. truly awesome. I have a hard time with concerts and the like (arthritic condition) but the pain of standing there for hours on end was worth it.

inthewind

Oct 12, 2007
i am going to see Florence K on december 17th in ottawa and am soo excited. I love her last album "bossa blue" and i know she is going to be fabulous in person. she's opening for Colin James, also a fav of mine. its going to be soo good!
anyone heard of her before?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Never heard of any of the above......except, of course, Colin James......and he is great!

Went to see Jethro Tull in Providence, RI on Friday night.......I'm such a dinosaur probably none of you have heard of that band! Ian Anderson is the lead man......some of his lyrics make up my signature line.

A terrific flautist! :)

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
You and me Colpy. Your not alone.

Jethro Tull and Colin James are the only names in this thread that I recognize.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This week I saw The St Alvia Cartel, Matt Costa, and Bedouin Soundclash perform. And then some of Sum41 came out for the last song... which was a little odd... random drunken members of other bands, lol.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
This here feller plays well and kicks it down at my local sometimes. He shows up with these random friends and they now and again put on a clinic in blues guitar and harp.

http://www.mikebranton.com/

Here is a sample to check out if yer interested.

file://home.cogeco.ca/~oxe/Find_Yourself_A_New_Fool.mp3

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Have you listened to much of Matt Costa's stuff Unf? Kind of folksy acoustic stuff, mainly just him, his guitar, and a drummer. I don't know if it would be quite your taste, but he might be worth checking out. :smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Have you listened to much of Matt Costa's stuff Unf? Kind of folksy acoustic stuff, mainly just him, his guitar, and a drummer. I don't know if it would be quite your taste, but he might be worth checking out. :smile:

Never heard of him. I tend to like a little of everything. Some in smaller doses than others, but generally I'm open minded with music. I'll google some You Tube stuff on him and have a gander. Cheers