US dollar cost of books

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Since books still have a difference between US and Canadian has anyone tried shopping at chapters with US dollars?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
No, but I have to hand it to my daughter. She caught on to the rise to parity in the dollar and bought 9 pairs of shoes from an American company for less than they are here even with shipping.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
Joseph Wambaugh has a new pocket book out. $12.50 Cdn or $9.50 US.

I informed the clerk I would not buy books at all until the discrepency was fixed.

I usually spend around $50.00 Cdn per month in that store.

On a Cdn street

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Since books still have a difference between US and Canadian has anyone tried shopping at chapters with US dollars?

I read between 5 and 8 novels a week so that was one of the first things I mentioned to Shell when the dollar skyrocketed. It annoys me that the disparity still exists, but I guess the book sellers have purchased the books at that rate and can't really afford to sell short.

Good idea about the U.S. bucks for shopping!! I'm going to give that a shot. I'll let ya know how it works out. :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My wife is in the middle of agazine subscriptions( school fund raising). Cost of the magazines is the same u.s. or Canadian BUT, there is an $8.00 shipping charge to Canada per subscription.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Don't some booksellers (ie: Amazon Canada) keep an inventory on hand?

Perhaps they paid for the supply when the disparity was in favor of the U.S. dollar ?

Seems wrong somehow - should be their loss not the customer.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Don't some booksellers (ie: Amazon Canada) keep an inventory on hand?

Perhaps they paid for the supply when the disparity was in favor of the U.S. dollar ?

Seems wrong somehow - should be their loss not the customer.

The stuff I sell, I mark up from my cost. I need to make a certain percentage profit to stay in buisiness. The same with the book sellers. So....why should THEY take a loss? Then again, they could always stop stocking any books...you order what you want and pay for them when ordering....then wait till they are shipped in. Then the seller would be selling based on the dollar on that day. Or maybe you're willing to pay a little bit more to get it right away rather than waiting for it?