mike and renee batten

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Neat. My Dad used to play a lot of that on the fiddle. I can't remember the names but those sound very close.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Small World

Indeed Juan; me maw (god rest er sole) was a classically trained violinist who would crack ya one if you referred to the instrument as a "fiddle".

But, the very odd time, encouraged by fine wines (Old Sailor, Cdn Club) and good company, she would let her hair down and give out with the "Down East" or "Ol Time". There was n'er standin room in our parlour when she did.

Wish I'd had a video camera back then.

Ah well........:-(

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
There is something about cultural music that strikes a deep chord within. You can listen to the great stuff, but it is like looking upon a picture that is perfect in every way. Cultural music is like looking at the lines of experience on someone's face. Different for each one but they speak of the same experience in the passage of time.

I love to see the laugh lines in a woman's face. It makes me think that this is someone who knows of good times. Like a jig starting up after a couple of pints of the black stuff.

While some would feel it in Carnegie Hall, I get the feeling from a kitchen all stools and cups.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yes indeed Unf.

I have been extremely fortunate to have been raised in a musical family, to have learned (sort of) a couple of instruments over the course of me life, and to have been able to play music with good friends for many years.

Me hands ain't as quick as they were, but me toes still can keep time with the music........;-)

Yep, gotta love those laugh lines
.:cheers: N'Ugg.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Mike and Renee are great. I've searched them on Youtube and found a number of wonderful videos. She can crank it out on that squeezebox.