"Devil May Care" - first James Bond book for 40 years

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The first James Bond in 40 years will be released in 2008, but written by Sebastian Faulks. The novel will mark the centenary of James Bond creator's birth. Ian Fleming, a WWII veteran, died in 1964.

And there'll surely be a James Bond movie based on the book in a few years' time...

Faulks writes new James Bond book

By Nigel Reynolds, Arts Correspondent
11/07/2007
The Telegraph

When the trustees of Ian Fleming's estate began looking for an author to write a new James Bond book many assumed hard-bitten British thriller writers such as Frederick Forsyth or John Le Carré would top the list.

Sebastian Faulks has been chosen to write a new James Bond book

Certainly no one tipped the acclaimed serious literary novelist Sebastian Faulks to be entrusted with the latest incarnation of Britain's most famous spy. But the author of the best-selling First World War novel Birdsong was yesterday disclosed as the writer of a new 007 novel to mark the centenary of Fleming's birth.

By his own admission, the 54-year-old's writing routine stands in stark contrast to the glamorous lifestyle of Bond's creator - who lived life very much in the fashion of his iconic creation.

"In his house in Jamaica, Fleming used to write a thousand words in the morning, then go snorkelling, have a cocktail, lunch on the terrace, more diving, another thousand words in late afternoon, then more Martinis and glamorous women," said Faulks.

"In my house in London I followed this routine exactly, apart from the cocktails, the lunch and the snorkelling."

The new book, entitled Devil May Care and to be published next May, is set in the Cold War. Bond is widowed and vulnerable but remains heroically gallant and libidinous.

Faulks, who finished the book in six weeks, said he was surprised to be picked for the task but was happy to follow the Bond style with exotic locations, glamorous women and larger-than-life villains. He said Devil May Care was "about 80 per cent Fleming" but would say little about his 007, other than it is set in 1967, the year after Fleming's final Bond book - a collection of short stories called Octopussy and the Living Daylights - was published posthumously.

Faulks said: "In a sense it is the return of the gunfighter for one last heroic mission.

"He has been through a lot of bad things. He is slightly more vulnerable than any previous Bond but at the same time he is both gallant and highly sexed if you like."

Corinne Turner, the managing director of Ian Fleming Publications, which commissioned the book, said the Fleming family was delighted with it.

No discussions have yet been held with Barbara Broccoli, the producer of the Bond films, Faulks said.

But Miss Turner said: "Barbara, to whom we gave a sneak preview, said if I had told her the family had found an old manuscript of Ian's in the basement, she would have believed me."

telegraph.co.uk