What Is Your Favourite Movie Moment?

flapperpie

Jun 28, 2007
I have many favourite films. The ironic thing is that some of our favourite cinematic moments may not necessarily belong to a favourite movie.
Patton is not my favourite movie, but I am enchanted by its opening scene. In fact, I would have to list it as being #1 on my favourite movie moment for this reason:

Very few cinematic moments can compare with the potency of that imagery; George C. Scott as General Patton, at ramrod attention before that gargantuous American flag. What propells you further into its grip is his first line in his address to the troops: "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor bastard die for his country."

For someone like myself, a "feel the love" spewing pacifist, it is a strange choice. Patton himself would probably concur with another one of his classic comments: "You know as much about war as you do about fornicating." But I am drawn to the complex and paradoxical. George C. Scott's performance was sheer perfection in portraying the paradox of Patton's character: A magalomanic and jingoist, but a poet and philosopher as well. Unpredictability juxtaposed by dependability. Military precision peppered by non-conformity.

But I suppose the defining parallelism is that he knew what it was like to be in danger - to be afraid. He recognized that the real enemy is letting that fear overtake attainment.

Maybe it's the metaphor that melds me to that image. Life is that ultimate battlefield of loss and contradiction. In war, we fight for peace. In life we often lose the courage of character in that quest to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreadful Nonsense
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
great post...thoroughly enjoyed the thing....

What was the thing he said about the war would soon be over and he would crawl on his belly to get a command...hell hitler's own people tried to kill him......
It was the young german officer who studied him that i really liked as well....
oh oh oh....you know the line when in the army column he shouts"I'm personnaly gonna hang that paper hanging son of a bitch"...do you know what that actually means....
In america someone who kites cheques, or passes phony money, or bounces cheques....is a paper hanger...The nazi party printed their own money and created a false currancy to float their econonmy....;)

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Favorite movie moment but not fav movie would definately have to be Mulholland Drive. That was the best movie for "movie moments" that equalled the worst movie. The part where they go out to "club silencio" and see that singer singing and them the music cuts off anf the singer is only lip syncing is priceless. The cowboy scene is another favorite. somehow the movie sucks ass overall, but has the best scenes.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Favorite movie moment but not fav movie would definately have to be Mulholland Drive. That was the best movie for "movie moments" that equalled the worst movie. The part where they go out to "club silencio" and see that singer singing and them the music cuts off anf the singer is only lip syncing is priceless. The cowboy scene is another favorite. somehow the movie sucks ass overall, but has the best scenes.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Favorite movie moment but not fav movie would definately have to be Mulholland Drive. That was the best movie for "movie moments" that equalled the worst movie. The part where they go out to "club silencio" and see that singer singing and them the music cuts off anf the singer is only lip syncing is priceless. The cowboy scene is another favorite. somehow the movie sucks ass overall, but has the best scenes. I don''t understand it but I love watching

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Favorite movie moment but not fav movie would definately have to be Mulholland Drive. That was the best movie for "movie moments" that equalled the worst movie. The part where they go out to "club silencio" and see that singer singing and them the music cuts off anf the singer is only lip syncing is priceless. The cowboy scene is another favorite. somehow the movie sucks ass overall, but has the best scenes. I don''t understand it but I love watching the

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Favorite movie moment but not fav movie would definately have to be Mulholland Drive. That was the best movie for "movie moments" that equalled the worst movie. The part where they go out to "club silencio" and see that singer singing and them the music cuts off anf the singer is only lip syncing is priceless. The cowboy scene is another favorite. somehow the movie sucks ass overall, but has the best scenes. I don''t understand it but I love watching the parts of

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Favorite movie moment but not fav movie would definately have to be Mulholland Drive. That was the best movie for "movie moments" that equalled the worst movie. The part where they go out to "club silencio" and see that singer singing and them the music cuts off anf the singer is only lip syncing is priceless. The cowboy scene is another favorite. somehow the movie sucks ass overall, but has the best scenes. I don''t understand it but I love watching the parts of that movie even though the end result is ****.