Avril Sued by US Songwriters

triedit

inimitable
TORONTO -- Canadian punk princess Avril Lavigne is being sued by U.S. songwriters who claim that her smash hit "Girlfriend'' sounds suspiciously like a single they released in the 1970s.

Lavigne's manager, Terry McBride, says the pop starlet is one of several people named in a lawsuit filed July 2 that alleges striking similarities to the Rubinoos song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend.''

McBride, also CEO of Nettwerk Music Group, dismissed the suit Wednesday as baseless, calling it a "case of legal blackmail.''

"Avril's a great songwriter and she's proving it over and over and over again,'' McBride said from Vancouver, noting that Lavigne heard the Rubinoos song for the first time after learning of the suit.

"Avril's very, very sensible. She knows music well. If the chords had been similar, the melodies had been similar, lyrics had been similar, the metre, she would have gone, `OK, I can see their point.' But nothing's similar.''

Songwriters Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer filed suit in California's Northern Federal District Court and also name Lavigne's publishing company, Avril Lavigne Publishing, and Lavigne's songwriting partner Dr. Luke as defendants.

The Rubinoos song came out in 1979 and features the poppy chorus: "Hey, hey, you, you, I wanna be your boyfriend,'' much like Lavigne's more up-tempo hit, which goes, "Hey, hey, you, you, I don't like your girlfriend.''

McBride said he hired a musicologist to study both tracks when he received a draft of the allegations about six weeks ago.

"This one came back so solidly on our side it's just ridiculous,'' he said.

Still, McBride, admitted that he is considering settling the suit out of court if the costs of defending the case prove too high. He noted that a similar claim against Sarah McLachlan roughly 10 years ago cost the label roughly $500,000 to defeat in court. When Nettwerk tried to recoup the costs from the plaintiffs, they declared bankruptcy, he said.

"It's a very simple case of legal blackmail. It's an unfortunate part of this business,'' McBride said.

"We will try and settle for costs that will be less than defending so we'd be further ahead. Emotionally, it sucks. But at the end of the day you have to take that out of it.''

Attempts to reach the plaintiffs Wednesday were not immediately successful.

The legal blow is just the latest in a series of jabs that question Lavigne's songwriting claims.

Winnipeg songstress Chantal Kreviazuk last month suggested to Performing Songwriter magazine that Lavigne stole one of her songs for the disc "The Best Damn Thing.''

Kreviazuk told the publication she had given Lavigne a song called "Contagious'' two years ago and was surprised to see a track with the same name on Lavigne's current disc with a credit to Lavigne and songwriter Evan Taubenfeld.

McBride said Kreviazuk has never even heard the Lavigne track and retracted her statement.

"I know, personally, she regrets saying what she said,'' said McBride, adding the songs are nothing alike. "The interviewer obviously got Chantal on a bad day.''

The hitmakers behind "Sk8er Boi'' and "I'm With You'' have also slagged Lavigne's writing credits.

Songwriter Lauren Christie of the production team the Matrix told Rolling Stone that Lavigne did little but "change a word here or there.'' Lavigne has insisted the pair crafted the melodies and lyrics together.

McBride said the barrage of criticism is just part of being at the top of the charts.

"Everyone comes after the stars. If Avril was not successful, they wouldn't really care,'' he said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...avigne_lawsuit_070704/20070704?hub=TopStories

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Punk Princess? what's the world coming too. Those are like polar opposites. It's an oxy moron. Sheesh!!

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Punk Princess? what's the world coming too. Those are like polar opposites. It's an oxy moron. Sheesh!!

seriously..I hear You....
When i first got into her music she had been round forever already...I found her lyrics really cool for kids with certain problems and things they go through...thought it was genius they way she did it....
Then like i heard her refered to as punk...I went no she is not a punker..then like i found out she refers to herself as a punk.....
Too funny
Sid .look what you created !ha

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
It's all about the image right? If you have a stud through your eyebrow and a spiked strap on your wrist you can be a punk? Oh the sorry times. Course, I walk around with an outback hat and people refer to me as a cowboy... which is ironic really.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Course, I walk around with an outback hat and people refer to me as a cowboy... which is ironic really.

Really? A cowboy? well maybe you too are punk....or maybe an auzzi punk....or maybe a auzzie cowboy punk...or maybe...and I know this one is a stretch for most people to imagine...but maybe... just maybe you are you. I know I'm me..at least I think I'm me....hmmmm something to ponder

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Really? A cowboy? well maybe you too are punk....or maybe an auzzi punk....or maybe a auzzie cowboy punk...or maybe...and I know this one is a stretch for most people to imagine...but maybe... just maybe you are you. I know I'm me..at least I think I'm me....hmmmm something to ponder

Erm he does this in Germany?
thats gotta draw some sort of looks...hell in Tarawwnna it gets looks....

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
I listened

I listened to both these songs, and, I think the charges will NOT stick...the songs are different in my ears! It was hard to get through them, beu they were/are different..