Arcade Fire

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
i thought I would start a thread about the music group "Arcade Fire".

If you haven't heard of the Arcade Fire; they are an an indy band based out of Montreal. They will be releasing their 3'rd album shortly (neon bible), I have listened to a leaked version and it is amazing. The song "Intervention" is one of the best songs I have heard in a while, especially the studio version with the church organs. Arcade Fire recenty did a concert for one of the members former high schools, playing one of their new songs.. "intervention". check it out here

Arcade Fire Web Site:
<LI class=first>www.arcadefire.com<LI class=first>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Fire<LI class=first>

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Can a band that has reached the level of success that Arcide Fire has REALLY be considered an indie band anymore?

I can't say I overly enjoy them...but that's just my view...I know alot of people that love them. I also don't like metric...and people seem to go crazy over them.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The Arcade Fire has reached success, yes that is given. I would still consider them still to be indy for the reason they are write/produce their stuff on their own, there is not another group that sounds like them, they are unique in what they do.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Theres nothing that says Indie bands can't make it big. Like Durka said, it's how the music is produced. Instead of a label finding a band they can market, it's a band/musician doing their own thing, without limits placed on their creativity.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Theres nothing that says Indie bands can't make it big. Like Durka said, it's how the music is produced. Instead of a label finding a band they can market, it's a band/musician doing their own thing, without limits placed on their creativity.
I suppose that's true...but are they really independant? I mean, it takes alot of people to help you when you are at that level...they no longer are really a DIY kinda band. That's not good or bad...it's just, more, debating the term.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I suppose that's true...but are they really independant? I mean, it takes alot of people to help you when you are at that level...they no longer are really a DIY kinda band. That's not good or bad...it's just, more, debating the term.

SNFU, I agree with you to an extent. The arcade fire does have a popular following that transcends the Indy circuit. But, What makes them unique & indy is their do it alone attitude and lack of corporate manipulation. If the Arcade Fire produced songs similar to nickelback or sum 41, I would be done with them.

The Arcade Fire writes music which means something. How many bands mix chruch organs and hungarian choirs into their mucic? Arcade Fire has songs that literally give me goose bumps, I do not experience that feeling with any other modern band.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
And, definitly not saying you should not like them. I mean, music is subjective. I haven't got to into them. They don't give me those goosebumps.

See, I guess I don't get the whole indie title. It seems to have become the new "alternative" tag that got stuck on so many bands in the 90's who were hitting number one in this or that chart...it no longer meant anything. This is kinda what I see happening with bands that are labeled indie. They aren't really DIY indie anymore...they've grown beyond that, so the title doesn't really fit. I dunno...I could be very wrong...and it is just my view...my opinion, ya know.

Indeed, I think one of Arcade Fire's strong points, as alot of the canadian "indie" bands who have hit it big over the last few years, is their incorporation of different instruments, their slightly skewed take on traditional arrangements, the size of the bands, stuff like that. I'm not saying at all that Arcade Fire aren't talented. I do think they are. The sound they produce though just doesn't really grab me.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
snfu, I agree with you that the "indy", "alternative" labels are overused. The Arcade Fire is a good band, regardless of pre-ordained genre.

The music industry has more or less forced musicans to fit a specific mold now, it's amazing what get's lumped under the "alternative" banner these days.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I will agree with you there. I do think the labels can be very unfortunate sometimes. It tends to lock bands into a certain style, and if they dare deviate...whoaaa. Which is unfortunate. A band that can continually reinvent itself is a good band I think. A band that is willing to try new things is good. I do think the music industry tries to discourage that as much as possible.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
And, definitly not saying you should not like them. I mean, music is subjective. I haven't got to into them. They don't give me those goosebumps.

See, I guess I don't get the whole indie title. It seems to have become the new "alternative" tag that got stuck on so many bands in the 90's who were hitting number one in this or that chart...it no longer meant anything. This is kinda what I see happening with bands that are labeled indie. They aren't really DIY indie anymore...they've grown beyond that, so the title doesn't really fit. I dunno...I could be very wrong...and it is just my view...my opinion, ya know.

Indeed, I think one of Arcade Fire's strong points, as alot of the canadian "indie" bands who have hit it big over the last few years, is their incorporation of different instruments, their slightly skewed take on traditional arrangements, the size of the bands, stuff like that. I'm not saying at all that Arcade Fire aren't talented. I do think they are. The sound they produce though just doesn't really grab me.

snfu, I know what you mean abou the "new alternative" I despise the title my self

Do you have any favourite Candian bands?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Favourite Canadian Bands, eh. Hmmmm. I haven't been into a lot of the newer stuff from our fair nation, but the Smalls, Monster Voodoo Machine, Bob Wiseman, Sarah Harmer (and old Weeping Tile), Sloan of course, Fred Eaglesmith definitly, I miss Mystery Machine and the Odds, I'm looking forward to seeing Propaghandi next weekend, I love Rufus Wainwright, I miss the Pursuit of Happiness, Hhead used to be a great band, and of course, Gino Vanelli...:)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Favourite Canadian Bands, eh. Hmmmm. I haven't been into a lot of the newer stuff from our fair nation, but the Smalls, Monster Voodoo Machine, Bob Wiseman, Sarah Harmer (and old Weeping Tile), Sloan of course, Fred Eaglesmith definitly, I miss Mystery Machine and the Odds, I'm looking forward to seeing Propaghandi next weekend, I love Rufus Wainwright, I miss the Pursuit of Happiness, Hhead used to be a great band, and of course, Gino Vanelli...:)

You have an eclectic music choice, what's your opinion on broken social scene?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Ya know, I know very little about them...actually, more about them than their music. I haven't really listened to them. Again, from what I know, very talented folks. I dunno why I haven't pursued them more. I've heard alot about the Apostle of Hustle, and want to hear more...and, I guess the violin player from the band is involved in alot of other stuff, including being a producer for DNTO on CBC, so I hear about her alot. Hmmm...I better take a listen to them now that you've brought them up. I'm failing myself as a Canadian...:)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ya know, I know very little about them...actually, more about them than their music. I haven't really listened to them. Again, from what I know, very talented folks. I dunno why I haven't pursued them more. I've heard alot about the Apostle of Hustle, and want to hear more...and, I guess the violin player from the band is involved in alot of other stuff, including being a producer for DNTO on CBC, so I hear about her alot. Hmmm...I better take a listen to them now that you've brought them up. I'm failing myself as a Canadian...:)

Your are hardly failing, you have a pretty decent knowledge of canadian musc.