Dixie Chicks RULE!!!

selfactivated
#1
MY Girls are HOT!!! They hit the Grammys runnin! I LOVE this group. They spoke their mind and said "screw you" if you dont like it. Ive supported them from day one!

Video: Watch show highlights

By Nekesa Mumbi Moody
Associated Press
The Dixie Chicks completed a defiant comeback on Sunday night, winning five Grammy awards after being shunned by the country music establishment over the group's anti-Bush comments leading up to the Iraq invasion.
The Texas trio won record and song of the year for the no-regrets anthem "Not Ready to Make Nice." They also won best country album, which was especially ironic considering the group says they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.
"I'm ready to make nice!" lead singer Natalie Maines exclaimed as the group accepted the album of the year award. "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message."
More Dixie Chicks on MSN
Mary J. Blige's comeback also was richly rewarded: She received three trophies for her double-platinum album "The Breakthrough." The Red Hot Chili Peppers won three for their double-disc "Stadium Arcadium," which also won a package-design award.
The Dixie Chicks won all five awards they were nominated for, sweet vindication after the superstars' lives were threatened and sales plummeted when Maines criticized President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war in 2003. Almost overnight, one of the most successful groups of any genre was boycotted by Nashville and disappeared from country radio.
With "Taking the Long Way," the women relied on producer Rick Rubin's guidance for an album that was more rock and less country. (Rubin, who also produced "Stadium Arcadium," was honored as producer of the year.)
The standing ovations the Chicks received Sunday illustrated how much the political climate has changed regarding the Iraq war, and even Bush.
"That's interesting," Maines crowed from the podium after the country award was handed out earlier in the night. "Well, to quote the great 'Simpsons' 'Heh-Heh.'
"Just kidding," added Maines. "A lot of people just turned their TVs off right now. I'm very sorry for that."
Bandmate Emily Robison noted, "We wouldn't have done this album without everything we went through, so we have no regrets."
All the trophies collected by the Dixie Chicks, Blige and the Chili Peppers contributed to the evening's old-school feel.
The show often derided as The Grannys embraced its baby boomer status in its 49th year. Maybe the Recording Academy was trying to relive the industry's glory years 2006 saw a sharp downturn in record sales, a decline that seems to grow each year as fans flock to the Internet and even ringtones to experience their tunes.
The Grammys tried to tap that new technology with its "My Grammy Moment" contest, in which three unknown singers vied for the chance to perform on stage with Justin Timberlake. Viewers determined the winner by voting on the Internet and text messaging, but the winner's performance was forgettable.
The "Moment" also incorporated a bit of "American Idol" into the telecast. Last year the Fox talent contest crushed the Grammys on a head-to-head Wednesday night. So it was no surprise when the Grammys returned to Sunday this year.
Though the show featured a medley with bright new stars such as John Mayer, John Legend and Corinne Bailey Rae, it relied heavily on the classics: Nominee Lionel Richie sang his '80s hit "Hello" and Smokey Robinson sang the Motown classic "The Tracks of My Tears" in a tribute to R&B. Rock and Roll Hall of Famers The Police, who split in 1984, reunited to kick off the show with their rendition of "Roxanne" even though they were not nominated for anything.
Soon afterward, Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder's duet on a remake of Wonder's "For Once In My Life" beat out two of the year's biggest songs Nelly Furtado and Timbaland's "Promiscuous" and Shakira and Wyclef Jean's "Hips Don't Lie" for best pop vocal collaboration.
Even some of the more contemporary artists were relegated to singing songs that weren't their own. Christina Aguilera sang the late James Brown's "It's A Man's Man's Man's World" instead of her own nominated songs, while Carrie Underwood, the newcomer with one of last year's most successful albums, crooned "Desperado" and "San Antonio Rose" instead of her signature tune "Jesus, Take the Wheel," which was nominated for song of the year.
For a while, it seemed as if VH1 Classics had taken over the show's production.
But new artists were celebrated, a bit. Chris Brown injected some hot-footed funk with his "Run It," while Underwood was celebrated as the best new artist. And double winners included youngsters John Mayer, T.I. and Ludacris.
Blige was the overall nominations leader with eight. She won best R&B album for "The Breakthrough," her double-platinum triumph, plus best female R&B performance and R&B song for "Be Without You."
A tearful Blige said her album "has not only shown that I am a musician and an artist and a writer, it also shows I am growing into a better human being."
"Tonight we celebrate the better human being because for so many years, I've been talked about negatively," said Blige, who during her 15-year career has often discussed her past substance abuse and self-esteem problems. "But this time I've been talked about positively by so many people."
 
Sparrow
#2
I also love them especially their SPECIAL song, it really took guts. My hat is off to them. They deserved their award.
 
sanctus
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

MY Girls are HOT!!! They hit the Grammys runnin! I LOVE this group. They spoke their mind and said "screw you" if you dont like it. Ive supported them from day one!
Video: Watch show highlights
By Nekesa Mumbi Moody
Associated Press
The Dixie Chicks completed a defiant comeback on Sunday night, winning five Grammy awards after being shunned by the country music establishment over the group's anti-Bush comments leading up to the Iraq invasion.
The Texas trio won record and song of the year for the no-regrets anthem "Not Ready to Make Nice." They also won best country album, which was especially ironic considering the group says they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.
"I'm ready to make nice!" lead singer Natalie Maines exclaimed as the group accepted the album of the year award. "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message."
More Dixie Chicks on...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post

I love these women too, great group!
 
eh1eh
#4
The peolpe have spoken.
They just have too much talent to go by the wayside. Sticking to their guns certainly boosted their credibility.
You go girls.
 
selfactivated
#5
My local C&W station here banned them when it happened....I dont listen to them anymore! Our boys fight for our freedoms and its screwy to ban someone for exercising their rights.
 
darleneonfire
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

My local C&W station here banned them when it happened....I dont listen to them anymore! Our boys fight for our freedoms and its screwy to ban someone for exercising their rights.


Agreed. Whether people agree with them or not, the whole idea is they should have the right to express any opinion they wish to as Americans.
 
MikeyDB
#7
It tells you something really important about America that its media is so quick to jump on the Dixie Chicks though...

Why don't Americans think for themselves?

Why does America have to be cornered by the rest of the world to understand their government is out of their control?

Why can't Americans take responsibility for anything.....

What a joke.....
 
CDNBear
#8
I'm not a huge fan, self knows the name of the song I like, but I forget it at the moment...

But I have just one question...

If I wrote a song about killing my hypothetical wife named Pearl, how long would it take before the fema-nazi's, had me hangin' from the nearest tree??? Hell how long would it take the soccer mom's from Rexdale to have me swing from my testi's from the CN Tower???
 
RomSpaceKnight
#9
Your probably not living in fear for your life or that of your children from Pearl. It happens, yes, but more the exception to the domestic violence rule. George Thorogoods "If You Don't Start Drinking I'm Gonna Leave" may more accurately sum up a mans point of view when it comes to marital discord. My dad taught me very early that boys don't hit girls. The lowest form of life on the planet is a woman (or child) beater. I even avoid the t-shirts so named. definitely a tongue in cheek song too.
 
L Gilbert
#10
I can't usually catch lyrics to tunes, but I like good fiddle-playing so I like the Chicks. (Besides, the Emily one looks a bit like my wifey, so I'm biased ).
 
selfactivated
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I'm not a huge fan, self knows the name of the song I like, but I forget it at the moment...

But I have just one question...

If I wrote a song about killing my hypothetical wife named Pearl, how long would it take before the fema-nazi's, had me hangin' from the nearest tree??? Hell how long would it take the soccer mom's from Rexdale to have me swing from my testi's from the CN Tower???


Goodbye Earl Lyrics


Mary Anne and Wanda were the best of friends
All through their high school days
Both members of the 4H Club
Both active in the FFA
After graduation Mary Anne went out lookin' for a bright new world
Wanda looked all around this town and all she found was Earl
Well it wasn't two weeks after she got married that Wanda started gettin abused
She put on dark glasses and long sleeved blouses and make-up to cover her
bruise
Well she finally got the nerve to FILE for divorce
She let the law take it from there
But Earl walked right through that restraining order
And put her in intensive care
Right away Mary Anne flew in from Atlanta
On a red eye midnight flight
She held Wanda's hand and they worked out a plan
And it didn't take 'em long to decide, That Earl had to die
na na nana naaaaa na
Goodbye Earl
Those black-eyed peas
They tasted all right to me Earl
You're feelin' weak?
Why don't you lay down and sleep Earl?
Ain't it dark
Wrapped up in that tarp Earl?
The cops came by to bring Earl in
They searched the house high and low
Then they tipped their hats and said, "thank you ladies
if you hear from him let us know"
Well the weeks went by and
Spring turned to Summer
And Summer faded into Fall
And it turns out he was a missing person who nobody missed at all
So the girls bought some land at a roadside stand out on Highway 109
They sell Tennessee ham and strawberry jam
and they don't lose any sleep at night
'cause Earl had to die
Goodbye Earl
We need a break
Let's go out to the lake Earl
We'll pack a lunch And stuff you in the trunk Earl
Well is that all right Good
Let's go for a ride Earl hey



Nobody Bitched
Last edited by selfactivated; Feb 13th, 2007 at 08:11 PM..
 
selfactivated
#12
Not Ready To Make Nice Lyrics



Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting

I’m through with doubt
There’s nothing left for me to figure out
I’ve paid a price
And I’ll keep paying

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I know you said
Can’t you just get over it
It turned my whole world around
And I kind of like it

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don’t mind sayin’
It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they’d write me a letter
Sayin’ that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting


THAT earned my UNDYING respect!!!
 
westmanguy
#13
There is 1 reason they won these awards. It was not on there talent or merrit.

Hollywood is secular-progressive, liberal, and atheist. Generally. There win was POLITICAL. Because of there comments about George W. Bush. Country fans will never go back to them. So now they are going to have to reformat there genre to pop, because country will not make them no $$.

I like the song, but I don't think they deserved as much awards as they got. So to me, and others, its obvious its political.

I also though the Grammys was about MUSIC, not politics. Look who was a presenter: Lefty-Al Gore.

Oscars are the same too. George Clooney-very far left, won for "Good Night and Good Luck". Brokeback Mountain (Which I HAVE seen), won when it wasn't that great, but it was a political win. And the "Unconvienient Truth" will win at the Oscars this year.

This is why I am fed up with the award shows. Its no longer about the quality of the content, but about the people's political views.

Very sad..
 
selfactivated
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

There is 1 reason they won these awards. It was not on there talent or merrit.

Hollywood is secular-progressive, liberal, and atheist. Generally. There win was POLITICAL. Because of there comments about George W. Bush. Country fans will never go back to them. So now they are going to have to reformat there genre to pop, because country will not make them no $$.

I like the song, but I don't think they deserved as much awards as they got. So to me, and others, its obvious its political.

I also though the Grammys was about MUSIC, not politics. Look who was a presenter: Lefty-Al Gore.

Oscars are the same too. George Clooney-very far left, won for "Good Night and Good Luck". Brokeback Mountain (Which I HAVE seen), won when it wasn't that great, but it was a political win. And the "Unconvienient Truth" will win at the Oscars this year.

This is why I am fed up with the award shows. Its no longer about the quality of the content, but about the people's political views.

Very sad..

Pffffffft!!!
 
eh1eh
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

There is 1 reason they won these awards. It was not on there talent or merrit.

Hollywood is secular-progressive, liberal, and atheist. Generally. There win was POLITICAL. Because of there comments about George W. Bush. Country fans will never go back to them. So now they are going to have to reformat there genre to pop, because country will not make them no $$.

I like the song, but I don't think they deserved as much awards as they got. So to me, and others, its obvious its political.

I also though the Grammys was about MUSIC, not politics. Look who was a presenter: Lefty-Al Gore.

Oscars are the same too. George Clooney-very far left, won for "Good Night and Good Luck". Brokeback Mountain (Which I HAVE seen), won when it wasn't that great, but it was a political win. And the "Unconvienient Truth" will win at the Oscars this year.

This is why I am fed up with the award shows. Its no longer about the quality of the content, but about the people's political views.

Very sad..

Did you host a CD burning party? Did you ever read 'Fairenheit 451' ?
 
L Gilbert
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

There is 1 reason they won these awards. It was not on there talent or merrit.

And you are an expert on talent?

Quote:

Hollywood is secular-progressive, liberal, and atheist. Generally. There win was POLITICAL. Because of there comments about George W. Bush. Country fans will never go back to them. So now they are going to have to reformat there genre to pop, because country will not make them no $$.

I like the song, but I don't think they deserved as much awards as they got. So to me, and others, its obvious its political.

I also though the Grammys was about MUSIC, not politics. Look who was a presenter: Lefty-Al Gore.

Oscars are the same too. George Clooney-very far left, won for "Good Night and Good Luck". Brokeback Mountain (Which I HAVE seen), won when it wasn't that great, but it was a political win. And the "Unconvienient Truth" will win at the Oscars this year.

This is why I am fed up with the award shows. Its no longer about the quality of the content, but about the people's political views.

Very sad..

Yeah, I dislike the award crap, too.
 
selfactivated
#17
After two days of being up Im Taking The Long Way and goin to bed! My girls DESERVE recognition after the shyty way this country treated them for speaking out what we ALL were thinking! Bush is a shameful MESS!!!
 
eh1eh
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

After two days of being up Im Taking The Long Way and goin to bed! My girls DESERVE recognition after the shyty way this country treated them for speaking out what we ALL were thinking! Bush is a shameful MESS!!!

Sleep well.
 
westmanguy
#19
#1 The Dixie Chick's comments were SENSELESS. Their attack comments on Bush had no merrit behind them.

They said they were ashamed to be from the same state as Bush. (Texas). They don't say why they dislike Bush, they just went and said they didn't like him.

They got what they deserved for the comments. I ADMIT the song was good, I LIKED it. It DESERVED a award. Not multiple awards though.

Award shows are POLITICAL. And you know it. The purpose of the Grammys is the MUSIC. Personality, political views, ideology, etc. should have no barring on winning.

Even IF they did say something valid about Bush (which they did not), and they were treated terribly, they should have had their awards judged on the MUSIC not them and their beliefs.

So.. hmm, I wonder why the award shows don't do well anymore...
 
eh1eh
#20
I think the fact they won awards in light of their comments speaks volumes politicaly and talent wise. The fact all their concerts did not sell well is also a politicaly reaction, so I guess all is fair.
 
selfactivated
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

I think the fact they won awards in light of their comments speaks volumes politicaly and talent wise. The fact all their concerts did not sell well is also a politicaly reaction, so I guess all is fair.


I agree eh1eh They percerveered dispite the pro bush idiots of the time and now are being revered as free thinkers ans damn good artists!
 
westmanguy
#22
The Grammy's judge and recognize MUSIC & TALENT. Someone who makes comment that the San Fransico value crowd agrees with, shouldn't win for their comments but their MUSIC.

Politics shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Not, when recognizing the purpose of the Grammys...to recognize MUSICAL achievements.

They deserved 1 award... but not the amount they got.
 
selfactivated
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

The Grammy's judge and recognize MUSIC & TALENT. Someone who makes comment that the San Fransico value crowd agrees with, shouldn't win for their comments but their MUSIC.

Politics shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Not, when recognizing the purpose of the Grammys...to recognize MUSICAL achievements.

They deserved 1 award... but not the amount they got.


Well good thing I live in a counytry were Im ALLOWED my opinion public and private GO CHICKS!!!!!!!
 
eh1eh
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

The Grammy's judge and recognize MUSIC & TALENT. Someone who makes comment that the San Fransico value crowd agrees with, shouldn't win for their comments but their MUSIC.

Politics shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Not, when recognizing the purpose of the Grammys...to recognize MUSICAL achievements.

They deserved 1 award... but not the amount they got.

Maybe politics shouldn't have anything to do with it but it does. The girl were berated for their politics why can't they be rewarded for it too? Is it becauase it is not your politics?
 
westmanguy
#25
Politics can be a reason for anything.

But the Grammys judge MUSIC.. they still judge that right.. or is it now just picking people who have San Fransico values?

People can choose to make actions due to politics on whatever.

But unless the Grammys reformat themselves to recognize people they like and want to be recognized, it should stay true to recognizing music, and music only, and being bi-partisan.

If a person has good MUSIC and TALENT, politcs, religion, etc. should not come into the equation.
 

Similar Threads

8
Dixie Chicks..................yah!!!!!!!
by Nuggler | Jan 21st, 2008
19
Chicks' night out at Grammys
by Avro | Feb 12th, 2007
78
Who are some hot Canadian chicks?
by Tom Green Fan | Mar 27th, 2006
no new posts