Chicks' night out at Grammys

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
LOS ANGELES -- The Dixie Chicks' triumphant comeback was the big story last night at the Grammy Awards, as they won all five categories in which they were nominated.
The Texas trio swept the big three awards at the Staples Centre -- song and record of the year (for Not Ready To Make Nice) and album of the year (for Taking The Long Way).
"I'm ready to make nice!" singer/songwriter Natalie Maines said after the band won their fifth award to end the night, album of the year.
The Chicks' single Not Ready To Make Nice was their first since alienating a large chunk of their country-music fanbase in 2003 with their outspoken criticisms of U.S. President George W. Bush.
"I, for the first time in my life, am speechless," Maines said after the band collected the song-of-the-year trophy.
The Dixie Chicks also won for best country album, and best country performance by a duo or group with vocal.
"I think people are using freedom of speech tonight with all these awards," said Maines, whose anti-Bush comments began the severe country-music radio and fan backlashes against the group.
Given those trials and tribulations, documented in a highly praised documentary, Maines was amused her group fared so well last night.
"That's interesting," she said. "Well, to quote the great Simpsons, 'Heh, heh.' "
"We have no regrets," added Maines' bandmate Emily Robison.
After the show kicked off with a performance by newly reunited '80s rockers the Police, who played a super-charged rendition of their uberhit Roxanne to immense applause, R&B star Mary J. Blige won only three of the eight awards she was up for.
The second biggest winner of the night was veteran L.A. funk-rock band the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Nominated six times (second only to Blige), they won two Grammys for the song Dani California (rock song and rock performance by a duo or group) and two for their CD Stadium Arcadium (rock album, and boxed or special limited-edition package).
Blige won for R&B album for The Breakthrough, and R&B song and female R&B vocal performance for Be Without You.
"Tonight we celebrate the better human being, because for so many years I had been talked about negatively," said Blige, who has often discussed her past substance abuse and less-than-glowing image.
"But this time I have been talked about positively by so many people."
Double winners included Justin Timberlake, Gnarls Barkley, Atlanta rapper T.I., Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett, John Legend, John Mayer, Carrie Underwood and the late sax player Michael Brecker, who passed away on Jan. 13.
Bennett's victories meant defeat for two Canadians -- Michael Buble and Nelly Furtado, the latter of whom had to settle for being a presenter for best pop vocal album during the telecast.
When asked backstage if Buble, whom Bennett said he had been hanging out with all day, had any hard feelings, the legendary crooner said jokingly: "You'd have to ask him. That's his problem."
The lone Canadian winner of the evening was Cape Breton singer-songwriter Gordie Sampson, who picked up the Grammy best country song for Jesus, Take The Wheel, which he co-wrote for Underwood.
"Thank you very much, this is quite an honour," Sampson, who spends half the year in Nashville as a songwriter-for-hire, said during the pre-telecast.
All but 11 of the 108 awards were given out during the pre-telecast ceremony next door to the Staples Centre, at the L.A. Convention Centre.

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2007/02/12/pf-3596224.html

Good for them!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
i dont get them. 'i took my love and i took it down' wtf???

I get this...

Forgive, sounds good.
Forget, I'm not sure I could.
They say time heals everything,
But I'm still waiting

I'm through, with doubt,
There's nothing left for me to figure out,
I've paid a price, and i'll keep paying

I'm not ready to make nice,
I'm not ready to back down,
I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
To go round and round and round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is
You think I should

I know you said
Why can't you just get over it,
It turned my whole world around
and i kind of like it

I made by bed, and I sleep like a baby,
With no regrets and I don't mind saying,
It's a sad sad story
That a mother will teach her daughter
that she ought to hate a perfect stranger.
And how in the world
Can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Saying that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
Cause I'm mad as hell
You think I should

I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
Cause I'm mad as hell
You think I should

Forgive, sounds good.
Forget, I'm not sure I could.
They say time heals everything,
But I'm still waiting

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You mean the rest of the world including Iraq.

The Chicks were damned for doing exactly what the troops are suppose to be fighting for.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It amazes me how many people don't know the meaning of that song.

I think it's awesome that they were able to come back, not only strong, but still speaking their minds.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It amazes me how many people don't know the meaning of that song.

I think it's awesome that they were able to come back, not only strong, but still speaking their minds.

They didn't sell out in the U.S. but sold out in Canada in 7 minutes.

I guess we value free speech more than them.:smile:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They didn't sell out in the U.S. but sold out in Canada in 7 minutes.

I guess we value free speech more than them.:smile:

I think Canadians just have bad tastes in music. Hell, we claim Celine Dion, Nickelback, Rita McNeil & Anne Murray as our own.