Harry Potter and the hint of death in a hotel room

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Harry Potter and the hint of death

By Auslan Cramb, Scottish Correspondent

03/02/2007

As a single mother struggling to make ends meet, JK Rowling began her writing career in a small café where she lingered for hours over a single cup of coffee.

The scrawl on the Balmoral bust

The rest, as they say, is history. Around 325 million book sales later, she has underlined her extraordinary success by finishing the Harry Potter series in rather more upmarket surroundings.

She finished the seventh book while staying at the five-star Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh.

Before checking out, she marked the occasion with a tantalising inscription scribbled on the back of a Roman-style bust.

It looks as if it was written hastily in marker pen, and it says: "JK Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this room (652) on 11th Jan 2007".

She may simply have wanted to mark the end of a remarkable journey that led her to a personal fortune estimated at £520 million.

But her fans are likely to treat the note as another fiendish clue.

According to one report, the bust depicts Hadrian, the Roman emperor who built the eponymous wall to divide Roman Britain from the "barbarians" in the north.

Staff at the Balmoral hotel in Edinburgh were surprised to learn that Rowling finished writing her last Harry Potter book in the hotel and that she left a little note of it on the back of what may be a bust depicing Emperor Hadrian, the man who built Hadrian's Wall in the North of England to keep the barbarian Scots out of their Empire

The hotel says the identity of the bust is incorrect, but Potter geeks are already putting two and two together to point out that Emperor Septimius Severus restored the wall, which passes close to a village in Yorkshire called Snape.

Could the message mean that Prof Severus Snape is one of the two key characters to be killed off in the final book?

The world will have to wait until July 21 to find out, when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is published.

Cleaning staff are said to have found the inscription in the £300-a-night bedroom at the hotel.

The author's message has turned the ornament into a valuable item and it was immediately removed from the room with the management concerned it will become a pilgrimage site for Potter fans.

Miss Rowling's main home is in Edinburgh, but she has admitted she finds it easier to write elsewhere, and has been spotted working in cafés all over the capital.

A spokesman for the author said: "We can confirm JK Rowling did write some of the book at the Balmoral last month and she did complete the book at that hotel."

telegraph.co.uk

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm not a fan but I am an admirer. Quite a feat! To rise from anonymity and become one of the richest and best known authors in the world. Well done! And, as with everything, Rowling has inspired untold numbers of imitators. She's an industry. She, despite her detractors, has given the world one of its most powerful literacy boosts ever. I don't think Rowling and Dickens could have sat long at the same table but I do think each would have given the other a respectful nod.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm not a fan but I am an admirer. Quite a feat! To rise from anonymity and become one of the richest and best known authors in the world. Well done! And, as with everything, Rowling has inspired untold numbers of imitators. She's an industry. She, despite her detractors, has given the world one of its most powerful literacy boosts ever. I don't think Rowling and Dickens could have sat long at the same table but I do think each would have given the other a respectful nod.

Well said. Regardless of what we might think of the Harry Potter books and movies, J.K. Rowling has given the world a whole new mythology that that a good part of the world has rushed to embrace. My grandson was not much of a reader until Harry Potter came along but he waits impatiently for each new book. Getting kids to read 500 page books is a breakthrough as far as I'm concerned.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Self-activated, yes, indeed! May the imagination never lose its kingdom!
Juan, I too am impressed by the sight of young folk committed to such tomes. When I was a kid thank goodness the schools embraced poetry. I was always too busy outside after school to give much time to longer books. And yet, being free in the natural world and spending long, long hours within it was as large an imagination raiser as anything I might find in Rowling.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
tamarin

When I was my grandson's age, (12 at the start of the Harry Potter craze) I lived up north and during the summer, I used to go into the woods with my rifle and my dog for the whole day. I seems such a long time ago, and letting today's twelve year olds loose with a rifle is not something I would be in a hurry to do.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Times change, Juan, but wasn't Nature a great teacher? I look at the fields and rocklines separating them that I used to play in as a child. And it's all gone. There's a young forest there now. Nothing remains to say this was once wide open and the world was blue-wonderful and endless. Makes me feel ancient.