Looking Back - Led Zeppelin

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Did they invent heavy metal? Well, while it would be unfair to blame them for something as dreadful as, say, Motley Crue, they were certainly responsible for the trappings, images, and even the excesses that came to be known as that much-revered and much-hated musical form. The difference is they generally made it sound good...and often great, taking the white boy blues originally perpetuated by Cream and the Yardbirds to its wildest extremes. Actually, Led Zeppelin rose from the ashes of the Yardbirds. Guitarist Jimmy Page had been leading a post-Jeff Beck unit called the New Yardbirds, which he disbanded in 1968 to create his dream "psychedelic blues" band. Recruiting his friend, bassist John Paul Jones (who'd played numerous sessions with artists, ranging from Donovan to Herman's Hermits and Petula Clark, along with Page throughout the '60s), Page found two talented novices in singer Robert Plant and drummer John Bonham. Who drummer Keith Moon reportedly gave the group its moniker when, after hearing their demo tapes, he predicted how the group would go over--but the Zeppelin seemed to take off immediately, eventually becoming one of the most popular bands in rock history. Their appeal never seemed to wane until after they disbanded, following Bonham's death from overindulgence in 1980.
Perhaps more than any other group before or since, Zeppelin was responsible for taking the blues-ish boast of "I'm A Man," originally a boast of black pride, and transforming it into a cry of sometimes sexist penile power. They were also notorious for stealing music from their forebears and putting their own names on it (lawsuits were eventually filed by many, ranging from Willie Dixon to the family of Ritchie Valens, who figured that "Boogie With Stu" was a direct rip-off of their relative's "Ooo, My Soul"). Nevertheless, they always made it sound--stolen or not--like no one but Led Zeppelin. As the band fell more into addictions and excess, they eventually also fell into musical formula, but unlike their progeny, they remained eclectic in their choice of musical styles for a very long time, pushing the envelope consistently early in their career. And when they were good...
Written by Bill Holdship

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I remember exactly when I first heard Led Zeppelin. I'd just entered the University of Western Ontarion late in 1968 and was invited to the common room to hear this sensational band. I was blown over. The sound system was superb and here Zeppelin was cutting loose with their tightly woven first album. Amazing power and talent. I still think they're seminal. If they ripped anybody off they turned a sow's ear into a silk purse when doing it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I remember exactly when I first heard Led Zeppelin. I'd just entered the University of Western Ontarion late in 1968 and was invited to the common room to hear this sensational band. I was blown over. The sound system was superb and here Zeppelin was cutting loose with their tightly woven first album. Amazing power and talent. I still think they're seminal. If they ripped anybody off they turned a sow's ear into a silk purse when doing it.

ABSOLUTELY!

I played their first album so much a good buddy of mine (a Neil Diamond fan) hid it under the carpet in my room............showing our age, aren't we?

Good Times, Bad Times, you know I've had my share........ :)

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I'm feeling " a whole lotta love"

I was soo into them back in the early 70's..dropped off but now have many mp3's of the mighty Led and feel for it all over!!

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007

Old age is catching up with you my dear;-) No way you heard their first album in 1968, since it wasn't released until 1969!

Led Zeppelin (January 12, 1969) - #6 UK, #10 US, RIAA: 8x Platinum, US Sales: 8 million, UK Sales: 600,000 Side 1: Good Times, Bad Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me, Dazed and Confused.
Side 2: Your Time Is Gonna Come, Black Mountain Side, Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Baby, How Many More Times.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
ABSOLUTELY!

I played their first album so much a good buddy of mine (a Neil Diamond fan) hid it under the carpet in my room............showing our age, aren't we?

Good Times, Bad Times, you know I've had my share........ :)
They were such a "guys band", you know. Most of the girls my age at the time didn't care for them when they first came out. At the time, I was a Beatles fan, and planning to marry Paul don't you know!He messed that plan up by marrying Linda.

Anyway, every guy I knew at the time, every long - haired one of them, were Zep fans. Air guitars like crazy. I think somehow they appealed to something primal in the guys.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Colpy, the mind does go first hahaha!!!

yep that driving Led Zep beat pulsed our newly found male hormones into a frenxy that Paul McCartney would have never understood :)

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Colpy, the mind does go first hahaha!!!

yep that driving Led Zep beat pulsed our newly found male hormones into a frenxy that Paul McCartney would have never understood :)

Betcha John would've understood though:)

My boyfriends of the time used to just go into spasms when Zep came on the radio, air guitars and faces contourted into what I assume they thought was a proper R&R look. Good days.