Buble lashes out at Grammys for not televising his award category

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

By Victoria Ahearn
TORONTO (CP) - Grammy nominee Michael Buble says he wants nothing to do with next week's awards ceremony.
The Vancouver-based crooner is angry that his category will not be presented during the live TV broadcast. "They give away our best traditional pop award at a dinner before the Grammys, so I just think that's bull****. I think it's absolute crap," Buble, 31, said in an interview Tuesday with The Canadian Press.
"Our category is selling way too many records to be given away at a dinner before, so I'm just not going to show up."
Buble, who is up against his idol Tony Bennett, says he doesn't expect to win anyway.
"Why should I go to the Grammys?" he said. "Because I'll lose. ... They might as well have already scratched Tony Bennett's name into the damn thing. I'm not going."
Most Grammy Awards are presented during an afternoon ceremony before the televised gala.
Buble is up for best traditional pop vocal album for "Caught in the Act."
It's his second Grammy nomination. His first was in 2005 for best traditional pop album for "Home." He lost that year to Bennett.
Buble also complained about the pre-show hoopla. He said he sometimes feels "like a dirtbag" when he walks an awards show red carpet and fans don't recognize him "just because I'm not in the tabloids."
"You just get pukey with it," he said. "It's like, 'Enough. No.' "
So what will he do instead?
"I'm going to stay home and watch the (Vancouver) Canucks," said Buble, who lives in Vancouver with his girlfriend, Golden Globe-winner Emily Blunt.
The singer dominated last year's Juno Awards, winning four trophies including album of the year.