Looking Back - Paul McCartney

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Out of all the former Beatles, Paul McCartney by far had the most successful solo career, maintaining a constant presence in the British and American charts during the '70s and '80s. In America alone, he had nine number one singles and seven number one albums during the first 12 years of his solo career. Although he sold records, McCartney never attained much critical respect, especially when compared to his former partner John Lennon. Then again, he pursued a different path than Lennon, deciding early on that he wanted to be in a rock band. Within a year after the Beatles' breakup, McCartney had formed Wings with his wife Linda, and the group remained active for the next ten years, racking up a string of hit albums, singles, and tours in the meantime. By the late '70s, many critics were taking potshots at McCartney's effortlessly melodic songcraft, but that didn't stop the public from buying his records. His sales didn't slow considerably until the late '80s, and he retaliated with his first full-scale tour since the '70s, which was a considerable success. During the '90s, McCartney recorded less frequently, concentrating on projects like his first classical recording, a techno album, and the Beatles' Anthology. Like Lennon and George Harrison, Paul McCartney began exploring creative avenues outside the Beatles during the late '60s, but where his bandmates released their own experimental records, McCartney confined himself to writing and production for other artists, with the exception of his 1966 soundtrack to The Family Way. Following his marriage to Linda Eastman on March 12, 1969, McCartney began working at his home studio on his first solo album. He released the record, McCartney, in April 1970, two weeks before the Beatles' Let It Be was scheduled to hit the stores. Prior to the album's release, he announced that the Beatles were breaking up, which was against the wishes of the other members. As a result, the tensions between him and the other three members, particularly Harrison and Lennon, increased and he earned the ill will of many critics. Nevertheless, McCartney became a hit, spending three weeks at the top of the American charts. Early in 1971, he returned with "Another Day," which became his first hit single as a solo artist. It was followed several months later by Ram, another home-made collection, this time featuring the contributions of his wife Linda.
By the end of 1971, the McCartneys had formed Wings, which was intended to be a full-fledged recording and touring band. Former Moody Blues guitarist Denny Laine and drummer Denny Seiwell became the group's other members, and Wings released their first album, Wild Life, in December 1971. Wild Life was greeted with poor reviews and was a relative flop. McCartney and Wings, which now featured former Grease Band guitarist Henry McCullough, spent 1972 as a working band, releasing three singles -- the protest "Give Ireland Back to the Irish," the reggae-fied "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and the rocking "Hi Hi Hi" -- in England. Red Rose Speedway followed in the spring of 1973, and while it received weak reviews, it became his second American number one album. Later in 1973, Wings embarked on their first British tour, at the conclusion of which McCullough and Seiwell left the band. Prior to their departure, the McCartney's theme to the James Bond movie Live and Let Die became a Top Ten hit in the U.S. and U.K.. That summer, the remaining Wings proceeded to record a new album in Nigeria. Released late in 1973, Band on the Run, was simultaneously McCartney's best-reviewed album and his most successful, spending four weeks at the top of the U.S. charts and eventually going triple platinum.
Following the success of Band on the Run, McCartney formed a new version of Wings with guitarist Jimmy McCulloch and drummer Geoff Britton. The new lineup was showcased on the 1974 British single "Junior's Farm" and the 1975 hit album Venus and Mars. At the Speed of Sound followed in 1976, and it was the first Wings record to feature songwriting contributions by the other bandmembers. Nevertheless, the album became a monster success on the basis of two McCartney songs, "Silly Love Songs" and "Let 'Em In." Wings supported the album with their first international tour which broke many attendance records and was captured on the live triple-album Wings Over America (1976). After the tour was completed, Wings rested a bit during 1977, as McCartney released an instrumental version of Ram under the name Thrillington and produced Denny Laine's solo album, Holly Days. Later that year, Wings released "Mull of Kintyre," which became the biggest-selling British single of all time, selling over two million copies. Wings followed "Mull of Kintyre" with London Town in 1978, which became another platinum record. After its release, McCulloch left the band to join the re-formed Small Faces and Wings released Back to the Egg in 1979. Though the record went platinum, it failed to produce any big hits. Early in 1980, McCartney was arrested for marijuana possession at the beginning of a Japanese tour; he was imprisoned for ten days and then released, without any charges being pressed.
Wings embarked on a British tour in the spring of 1980 before McCartney recorded McCartney II, which was a one-man band effort like his solo debut. The following year, Denny Laine left Wings because McCartney didn't want to tour in the wake of John Lennon's assassination; in doing so, he effectively broke up Wings. McCartney entered the studio later that year with Beatles producer George Martin to make Tug of War. Released in the spring of 1982, Tug of War received the best reviews of any McCartney record since Band on the Run and spawned the number one single "Ebony and Ivory," a duet with Stevie Wonder that became McCartney's biggest American hit. In 1983, McCartney sang on "The Girl Is Mine," the first single from Michael Jackson's blockbuster album Thriller. In return, Jackson dueted with McCartney on "Say Say Say," the first single from Paul's 1983 album Pipes of Peace and the last number one single of his career. The relationship between Jackson and McCartney soured considerably when Jackson bought the publishing rights to the Beatles songs from underneath McCartney in 1985.
McCartney directed his first feature film in 1984 with Give My Regards to Broad Street. While the soundtrack, which featured new songs and re-recorded Beatles tunes, was a hit, generating the hit single "No More Lonely Nights," the film was a flop, earning terrible reviews. The following year he had his last American Top Ten with the theme to the Chevy Chase/Dan Aykroyd comedy Spies Like Us. Press to Play (1986) received some strong reviews but the album was a flop. In 1988, he recorded a collection of rock & roll oldies called Choba B CCCP for release in the USSR; it was given official release in the US and UK in 1991. For 1989's Flowers in the Dirt, McCartney co-wrote several songs with Elvis Costello; the pair also wrote songs for Costello's Spike, including the hit "Veronica." Flowers in the Dirt received the strongest reviews of any McCartney release since Tug of War and was supported by an extensive international tour, which was captured on the live double-album Tripping the Live Fantastic (1990). For the tour, McCartney hired guitarist Robbie McIntosh and bassist Hamish Stuart, who would form the core of his band through the remainder of the '90s.
Early in 1991, McCartney released another live album in the form of Unplugged, which was taken from his appearance on MTV's acoustic concert program of the same name; it was the first Unplugged album to be released. Later that year, he unveiled Liverpool Oratorio, his first classical work. Another pop album, Off the Ground, followed in 1993, but the album failed to generate any big hits, despite McCartney's successful supporting tour. Following the completion of the "New World" tour, he released another live album, Paul Is Live, in December of 1993. In 1994, he released an ambient techno album under the pseudonym the Fireman. McCartney premiered his second classical piece, "The Leaf," early in 1995, and then began hosting a Westwood One radio series called Oobu Joobu. But his primary activity in 1995, as well as 1996, was the Beatles' Anthology, which encompassed a lengthy video documentary of the band and the multi-volume release of Beatles outtakes and rarities. After Anthology was completed, he released Flaming Pie in the summer of 1997. A low-key, largely acoustic affair that had the some of the same charm of his debut, Flaming Pie was given the strongest reviews McCartney had received in years and was a modest commercial success, debuting at number two on the U.S. and U.K. charts; it was his highest American chart placing since he left the Beatles. Flaming Pie certainly benefited from the success of Anthology, as did McCartney himself -- only a few months before the release of the album in 1997, he received a Knightship.
On April 17, 1998, Linda McCartney died after a three-year struggle with breast cancer. A grieving Paul kept a low profile in the months to follow, but finally returned in the fall of 1999 with Run Devil Run, a collection primarily including cover songs. The electronica-based Liverpool Sound Collage followed a year later, and the pop album Driving Rain -- a successor, of sorts, to Flaming Pie -- coming a year after that. The live album Back in the U.S. appeared in America in 2002 with the slightly different, international edition Back in the World following soon after. McCartney's next studio project included sessions with super-producer Nigel Godrich, the results of which appeared on the mellow Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard, released in late 2005. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide
Written by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Just found this thread! Good post. Paul often gets the shaft as an artist. Lennon, since his death, seems to make people forget that John did not write The Beatles songs by himself. Paul was every bit as talented as John, which is what made the group so strong. I love Paul's melodies. He seems to have a natural flair for writing pretty songs. Have you listened to his last album? I think it was out last year or maybe the year before.He still has a flair for melody and strong songs.

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
I always took my rock with a little more edge than the Beatles usually put on it. But then, there were songs, and I always liked ‘Blackbird.’ Somehow I thought of it as a Lenin song. I didn’t know until recently that Blackbird was primarily a McCartney song and was written as a civil rights allegory. Good song, that.

Apparently all their songs were copyrighted as ‘Lenin-McCartney’ when they were members of the Beatles.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
I always took my rock with a little more edge than the Beatles usually put on it. But then, there were songs, and I always liked ‘Blackbird.’ Somehow I thought of it as a Lenin song. I didn’t know until recently that Blackbird was primarily a McCartney song and was written as a civil rights allegory. Good song, that.

Apparently all their songs were copyrighted as ‘Lenin-McCartney’ when they were members of the Beatles.

First off it's LENNON, not LENIN:) and they were co-writers of most of the songs. there was a persistant rumour that each man wrote songs seperatly, but each admitted, after the break-up, that 95% of the songs issued as Lennon-McCartney songs had each of them involved in its creation.

Reactions: canadarocks

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
Pretty amazing guy, and pretty amazing band. How many years ago did they break up anyway? And all their music is still sold and played....amazing...

Well, of all the rock acts, only The Beatles has transcended the genre. they are, for better or worse, the modern day version of Beethoven. They will remain, centuries from now, in their melodies.

Last edited:

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
Csanopal:
First off it's LENNON, not LENIN and they were co-writers of most of the songs. there was a persistant rumour that each man wrote songs seperatly, but each admitted, after the break-up, that 95% of the songs issued as Lennon-McCartney songs had each of them involved in its creation.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oops;

Well I guess that rock always was more an oral than a written media. I also didn’t know until recently that the band was the beat rather than the bug. Or, maybe I am just more in tune the Lenin than Lennon.

Yes, of course, musicians together almost always collaborate. It’s hard not to. There’s nothing to admit. Almost everything’s a collaboration. Most musicians know who the creative idea came from though, and according to McCartney, Blackbird was his.

Thanks for correcting my spelling misunderstanding. Did you know about the civil right’s idea and is that important or interesting?

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
Csanopal:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oops;

Well I guess that rock always was more an oral than a written media. I also didn’t know until recently that the band was the beat rather than the bug. Or, maybe I am just more in tune the Lenin than Lennon.

Yes, of course, musicians together almost always collaborate. It’s hard not to. There’s nothing to admit. Almost everything’s a collaboration. Most musicians know who the creative idea came from though, and according to McCartney, Blackbird was his.

Thanks for correcting my spelling misunderstanding. Did you know about the civil right’s idea and is that important or interesting?

I read he was inspired by the civil rights movement and Dr King in particular. Thing about Paul was he seems to get the short-shaft in the image.So much written about what a genius John was( and I've no doubt he was by the way), but always they make it seem like the other three were lucky John was with them. McCartney is as brilliant a songwriter as John was, in my opinion. Else, Lennon would've never worked with him all those years.

Last edited:

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
Darlene:

Yes, that was my main point. I always thought it was John’s song, and it took me over 30 years to figure it out. I note that with some regret since I like to be acknowledged for what I do. I also lived through the civil rights movement and all the music too. I just don’t know how I failed to notice that the song was an allegory. Such things were important to me too—then and now.

Last November and December I was building ideas and reading tons of links. What I concluded is that Paul deserves far more recognition for his creative work than he received. Apparently the original lyrics went ‘Black girl living in Arkansas’ and were changed to ‘Blackbird singing in the dead of night.’ Paul said by way of explanation that he usually cloaks his things. Perhaps he gives his listeners, such as me, too much credit and receives too little in return.

I read more than I ever hought I’d read about Paul last December on the net. I wanted to see what I’d get if I put the images in ‘Blackbird’ together with the images in ‘Morning has broken’ and then let both settle in my mind for awhile. I also discovered something else I never knew. I always thought ‘Morning has Broken’ was a Cat Stevens (as he was known then) song. As it turns out the lyrics were written by Eleanor Farjeon, who is best known as an author of children’s stories. She put the lyrics to a traditional Gallic melody, and the song was first published in a hymnal--and it still appears in hymnals.

Of course, probably few of us would know the song if Cat Stevens hadn’t sung it. I think he used the same Gallic melody. However, judging from the guitar chords for the song on some web sites, I’d guess that the chords used on his recording were his own voicings. Credit where credit is due—better late than never. Now if only each and every one of us would get a little more credit, and our supposed leaders a lot less, than perhaps the world might see some of those promises we all believed in way back then. Still working on it.

Last edited:

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
i love the beatles, and wings. im not sure really how the beatles are fixed for people my age. allot of kids like them though, and none of us were alive when they were together

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
i love the beatles, and wings. im not sure really how the beatles are fixed for people my age. allot of kids like them though, and none of us were alive when they were together

I was around 10-11 years old when the Beatles broke up. their music was part of my childhood, and later as a teenager I became(and still am) a huge Beatles fan. It always impresses me when someone so young claims to also be a fan of this group. I mean, Maple, you must've been born at least 15 or so years AFTER they broke up.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
‘Morning has Broken’ was a Cat Stevens (as he was known then) song. As it turns out the lyrics were written by Eleanor Farjeon, who is best known as an author of children’s stories. She put the lyrics to a traditional Gallic melody, and the song was first published in a hymnal--and it still appears in hymnals. n it.

Actually, the song is based on a Gallic Hymn attributed to St. Patrick, here are the original words to the melody:

Christ Be Beside Me

Christ be beside me, Christ be before me,
Christ be behind me, King of my heart.
Christ be within me, Christ be below me,
Christ be above me, never to part.

Christ on my right hand, Christ on my left hand,
Christ all around me, shield in the strife.
Christ in my sleeping, Christ in my sitting,
Christ in my rising, light of my heart.

Christ be in all hearts thinking about me,
Christ be on all tongues telling of me.
Christ be the vision in eyes that see me,
In ears that hear me Christ ever be.

from St. Patrick's Breastplate, 8th cent.

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006

I had heard of the Breastplate of Saint Patrick before and I may have even read some version of the lyrics. They seem familiar, but then so do most things that survive for many years. I never knew that in some sense Saint Patrick gave ‘Morning has Broken’ to us.

I suppose a distinction could be made that traditional Gallic refers to pre-Christian times in Ireland, but I am unable to make such distinctions. To me, I believe that most things that survive the test of time hold value. I don’t strongly differentiate between such things as the Tale of Fionn and the Prayers of Saint Patrick. Songs, stories and poetry carried the wisdom, the wealth of their cultures then and still do today.

I have the notion that the present is a small illumination of what ever path we are on. As we look forward to our futures, the present rapidly recedes before us. If we try and look very hard, just before the present vanishes over the horizon of our future we might catch a glimpse. We might understand that our futures are made mostly from our pasts.

There are reasons for looking back and for knitting the threads of our past into our present. The future is more a friendly place if we know that in some way we’ve been there before, and we also need to know there are things that should never be done in the present.

Perhaps every generation needs a few remarkable individuals who are able to express the past as our present and future. We can’t express it ourselves, but we know the difference between truth and fashion when we hear it. Perhaps the Beatles together were such individuals. We need to know those individuals. We need to look back because between such individuals, all is fashion. We should know that the gold we strive to acquire has little use but to purchase fashion, and fashion is not connected to our future.

A thought for the future:
A walk

My eyes already touch the sunny hill,
going far ahead of the road I have begun.
So we are grasped by what we cannot grasp;
it has its inner light, even from a distance----

and changes us, even if we do not reach it,
into something else, which, hardly sensing it, we already are;
a gesture waves us on, answering our own wave...
but what we feel is the wind in our faces.

-Ranier Maria Rilke

Last edited:

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
hey, do you guys think they broke up cos of yoko ono?

Most certainly NOT. The press at the time blamed her, but if you think about it it just would be silly to think one woman could break up a group of men who had known each other almost their whole lives. I suspect it was just time for them to move on as artists. After all, what else could they have possibly done in their collective career?