Looking Back-Anne Murray

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Murray, Anne
Photo by James O'Mara & Ryan (courtesy EMI Music Canada). Murray, Anne (married name Langstroth), pop singer (b at Springhill, NS 20 June 1945). Canada's most successful pop performer of the 1970s, Murray was noticed first for her recording "Snowbird" (1970) after exposure on the CBC-TV show Singalong Jubilee from Halifax. With her personable alto, wholesome presence and stylistic versatility, she enjoyed great record success ("Danny's Song," "You Needed Me," "I Just Fall in Love Again," etc) and expanded her concert and TV itinerary to include pop and country music audiences throughout North America. Among her over 30 albums, she has recorded a children's record (There's a Hippo in My Tub), a duet album with American country star Glen Campbell and several albums of Christmas songs; her collection of 1950s torch songs, Croonin' (1993), was her 29th studio recording and took her total album sales past 24 million units worldwide. A 3-disc box set anthology, Now & Forever, was released in 1995. Murray made a high-profile comeback in 1996. She hosted the 25th annual JUNO Awards in March, signed with Bryan ADAMS' management company, and released a critically acclaimed self-titled album in August 1996 that featured a contemporary R&B-flavoured sound along with guests Jann Arden and Aaron Neville. She has received many Juno Awards, several Grammy Awards, and was made Companion of the Order of Canada in 1985 and inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1993.
Author JEFF BATEMAN

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Canada's best ambassador! I love her music and have been a fan since she began way back in 1969 or so.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Canada's best ambassador! I love her music and have been a fan since she began way back in 1969 or so.

What turned me off was when they played every second song on the radio was hers. My dad one day said jokingly that they no longer need to put prisoners in solitary confinement but pipe in Ann Murray music all the time.

I think it didn't help her.

AndyF

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
What turned me off was when they played every second song on the radio was hers. My dad one day said jokingly that they no longer need to put prisoners in solitary confinement but pipe in Ann Murray music all the time.

AndyF

not for me either. more the old peoples kind of sap. her music is so...boring.:)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Murray, Anne
Photo by James O'Mara & Ryan (courtesy EMI Music Canada). Murray, Anne (married name Langstroth), pop singer (b at Springhill, NS 20 June 1945). Canada's most successful pop performer of the 1970s, Murray was noticed first for her recording "Snowbird" (1970) after exposure on the CBC-TV show Singalong Jubilee from Halifax. With her personable alto, wholesome presence and stylistic versatility, she enjoyed great record success ("Danny's Song," "You Needed Me," "I Just Fall in Love Again," etc) and expanded her concert and TV itinerary to include pop and country music audiences throughout North America. Among her over 30 albums, she has recorded a children's record (There's a Hippo in My Tub), a duet album with American country star Glen Campbell and several albums of Christmas songs; her collection of 1950s torch songs, Croonin' (1993), was her 29th studio recording and took her total album sales past 24 million units worldwide. A 3-disc box set anthology, Now & Forever, was released in 1995. Murray made a high-profile comeback in 1996. She hosted the 25th annual JUNO Awards in March, signed with Bryan ADAMS' management company, and released a critically acclaimed self-titled album in August 1996 that featured a contemporary R&B-flavoured sound along with guests Jann Arden and Aaron Neville. She has received many Juno Awards, several Grammy Awards, and was made Companion of the Order of Canada in 1985 and inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1993.
Author JEFF BATEMAN
She has a beautiful voice.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Daydream Believer Lyrics

document.write('Send Anne Murray polyphonic ringtone to your cell phone

');Send Anne Murray polyphonic ringtone to your cell phone

Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring
But it rings and we rise, wipe the sleep out of our eyes
The shavin' razor's cold and it stings

CHORUS
Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

I once thought of you as a white knight on a steed
Now you know how happy we can be
Oh, and our good times **started then
With a dollar one to spend**
But how much baby do we really need?

CHORUS

Brief instrumental interlude

CHORUS X 2 with FADE in middle of the second

That brought back a good memory :) Thank you

Goddess I LOVE Drummers! *giggle*

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Daydream Believer Lyrics

CHORUS

CHORUS

Cute, but it's actually a Monkees song Anne covered:)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

AndyF
I'll go along with that. Actually, to this day if I hear her voice I switch stations. Also thatv"Don't worry, Be Happy" jackass gets offed. As well as that "Gine Me a Reason to stay here and I'll turn rght back around" Chapman broad.

Never seem to get tired of hearing Lightfoot, though. :)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Daydream Believer Lyrics

CHORUS

CHORUS

I prefer The Monkees' version by far. It was written by John Stewart.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Gil:

Don't really think she's a bad singer. But in those days I think Canada needed a hero, so she became the national heart throb, even if it had to be drumbed into you.

But my feelings go for any other singer, even my second favorite George Jones. If a station plays too many of him, I change stations too otherwise I start "hanker'n for the suds"..:cheers:

Never get too much of the standard classicals: Mozart,Rachmaninoff,etc, but maybe even old Sergie's stuff can depress you if you listen too long.

Andy

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Do your fellow priests share the same taste of music as you?

Not all! Though a friend of mine in another parish is an avid Beatles fan and we get together with a few cups of wine and play "Rubber Soul" as loud as we can:)

One gentlemen, also in this same city, likes Jimi Hendrix a great deal!

Still another, God forbid, likes opera...ugh!

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
to be honest I do't think Anne Murray would have gotten anywhere is it wasn't for the Canadian content rules way back when....

That was the main reason you heard so much of her...Radio stations were forced to play a percentage of Canadian music, there were few Canadian artists so voila!! she go played...along with Gordon Lightfoot, Buffy St. Marie, BTO and April wine..none to good but at that time..all we got...

We b much better at Music now!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Not all! Though a friend of mine in another parish is an avid Beatles fan and we get together with a few cups of wine and play "Rubber Soul" as loud as we can:)

One gentlemen, also in this same city, likes Jimi Hendrix a great deal!

Still another, God forbid, likes opera...ugh!

I read an interview in the Toronto Star with the new Arch Bishop of Toronto, apparently he is a big classical music fan, I always picture priests being classical fans for some reason.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I read an interview in the Toronto Star with the new Arch Bishop of Toronto, apparently he is a big classical music fan, I always picture priests being classical fans for some reason.

I've met the Archbishop. He is a big classical music fan indeed. I like classical music as well. I actually have eclteric tastes when it comes to music. However, I was a kid in the 60's and a teenager in the 70's, so often my idea of good music is that I was raised with.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
to be honest I do't think Anne Murray would have gotten anywhere is it wasn't for the Canadian content rules way back when....

That was the main reason you heard so much of her...Radio stations were forced to play a percentage of Canadian music, there were few Canadian artists so voila!! she go played...along with Gordon Lightfoot, Buffy St. Marie, BTO and April wine..none to good but at that time..all we got...

We b much better at Music now!!

She would've made some sort of splash I think, she seems to stand out above the rest of the era, except for perhaps the Guess Who.

It was a good decision to have CC rules, gave exposure to lots of talented the people and paved the way for the musicans of today. One of the better Trudeau Liberal government decisions:)