New album - The Arctic Monkeys monkey around with a new sound

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The moment millions of fans around the world have been waiting for - British "dance-rockers" The Arctic Monkeys are releasing their new album this year. The album has already been recorded. According to this article a date has not been set on the album's release but according to Wikipedia it will be released in April.

This month's edition of Time magazine has made last year's debut album by the Arctic Monkeys' the greatest album of 2006 (Gnarls Barkley's album is in second place). "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" became the fastest selling debut album in UK chart history, selling 363,735 copies in the first week.[25] This smashed the previous record of 306,631 copies held by Hear’Say with their debut Popstars, and sold more copies on its first day alone — 118,501 — than the rest of the Top 20 albums combined.[26]
--------------------------------------------
Arctic Monkeys Monkey Around with New Sound, New Album

Heather Adler

Friday, January 05, 2007

The Arctic Monkeys are:-

Alex Turner - Vocals/Guitar
Jamie Cook - Guitar
Nick O'Malley - Bass
Matt Helders - Drums

U.K. dance-rockers Arctic Monkeys are readying the follow-up to their surprise 2006 debut smash, Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not, and the British lads tell NME fans should expect the unexpected.

The four-piece post-punk revivalists made headlines when their singles rocketed to No.1 in the U.K. based solely on circulation via fan-made demo tapes and online downloads. After dodging major labels and talent scouts, the Sheffield lads signed with indie label Domino Records and saw their popularity flourish, breaking the first-week record sales of a debut album in the U.K. when their CD was properly released. Now, they’re taking all the new experience (and wealth) success has afforded them and rolling it into a new record.

“We started off getting this practice room where we tried to write,” singer Alex Turner tells NME. “There were lots of bits left over and we just tried to sort it all out, get organized a bit. The songs are very different from last time. For the first album we locked ourselves away in the middle of nowhere, whereas this time we've been out in the Smoke, going out and stuff. I think that's maybe reflected in the songs a little bit.”

Turner says the band has made many of the new songs more “full-on” and they’ve been experimenting with new song structures.

“We've tried to get proper rhythms — it seems like in rock there's a lot of boring rhythms,” he explains. “We've tried to experiment — that's a bit of a dangerous word, but we've tried to push on with that. We'd be in soundchecks and it would be, '****ing hell, what's that?' so we'd record it on a phone. We've ended up with breaks almost. I've always been into beats, we were into that before we were into The Strokes.”

A release date has not yet been set for the new album.

http://www.dose.ca/music/story.html?id=f22c40fb-e317-4542-a147-a45b45d4e075&k=47952
American magazine, Time, has made the Arctic Monkeys' debut album "Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not" the greatest album of 2006. Here's what it said:

WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT by Arctic Monkeys

'They ripped off the best bits of Franz Ferdinand and the Strokes-speed, swagger and hooks upon hooks-but instead of hipster navel gazing, Arctic Monkeys' singer Alex Turner looked at the world with a working-class smirk and turned a number of memorable phrases. ("There's only music/ So that there's new ringtones.") The first rock album in ages that feels dangerously smart.'

time.com

Last edited: