Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's the dog's Borats

British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen has released his new movie - which has a very long title - in which his character, Kazakh TV presenter Borat, is the star.

Joke's on you ... British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen as Kazakh TV presenter Borat in America. In Baron Cohen's movie, Borat picks on members of the American public, most of whom think he's a real person who is making a documentary for Kazakh TV and not an actor. In one scene (pictured above) Borat - who is sexist, homophobic and anti-Semitic - travels in a donkey cart pulled by several women with a donkey sitting in the back as a passenger.

By VICTORIA NEWTON
Showbiz Editor
October 06, 2006

IF you thought the film There’s Something About Mary was sick and shocking then I wouldn’t recommend Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan.

It is quite simply the most shocking, offensive, tasteless, politically incorrect movie I’ve ever seen.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say it is THE most appallingly crude and shocking movie ever made.

But it was so deliciously evil I laughed from start to finish. It has to be seen to be believed.

It tells the story of Kazakhstan TV reporter Borat Sagdiyev, played by Sacha Baron Cohen, who takes his bad English and diehard prejudices to America to make a documentary about life in the USA.

The comedian and his camera crew were so convincing that many real-life people in the movie failed to spot Borat was a made-up character.

That’s what makes their reactions priceless. His clueless ways lead to small-minded individuals showing off their own stupidity to the camera — and making themselves look even dimmer than Borat himself.

The film begins in Kazakhstan, where Borat shows off his home village. He proudly introduces the villagers (“This is town rapist, naughty naughty”) and introduces his sister as “No4 prostitute in all of country,” as she holds up a trophy.

Borat is accompanied by his obese producer, Azamat Bagatov, who can’t understand why they are crossing the USA in an old ice cream truck instead of doing the interviews scheduled on the East Coast. He doesn’t realise his colleague has discovered his true love while watching reruns of Baywatch on TV — Pamela Anderson.

So he sets off to California where he plans to get Pamela in the Kazakh “wedding sack” and give her a plough.

His interview with a group of feminists revolves around his belief that a woman’s brain is the size of a squirrel’s. He is terrified of homosexuals yet happily practises his homeland’s manly customs of men kissing and wrestling in the nude.

He takes hip-hop lessons from black youths, tries to buy a gun as protection from Jews and gets a CHEER from the (brainless) Americans at a rodeo by chanting: “May George Bush drink the blood of every man, woman and child in Iraq!”

One of the highlights is when he invites a black prostitute to a dinner party full of religious conservatives.

He ends up in a naked mud wrestle with another man.

It is rare to get a comedy so laced with social commentary — and therein lies the real genius. Sacha has found a way to make a statement about the world through the ignorance of others.

This movie is the dog’s Borats and deserves an Oscar.

Without doubt it’s the best film to come out of Kazakhstan since Three Goats And My Sister 2.

Last edited:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I remember when he first came out, about 3 years ago I think (Sacha that is....as Ali G) in the UK, he was interviewing an old (about 80ish) Labour MP named Tony Benn (very important, very left-wing). He asked him if there should be a pension for "those who dont want to work and sit on their batty's chillin wit their bitachez".

The response was probably the funniest EVER....with the word "bitchez" being used, old Tony went off on one "is this the way you talk bout women?, call them bitches!!!!...no wonder someone doesn't come along and shoot you!!!".

Ah Ali G and Sacha hit it big time in the "not the eleven o'clock show" on Channel 4, I prefured Avid Merion or Big Bootha.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
MISS KAZAKHSTAN ON BRIT CELEBS

Of course, Robbie couldn't go to Kazakhstan without spending some time getting up close and personal with its most beautiful woman - 21-year old Dina Nuraliyeva.

He asked Miss Kazakhstan to turn the tables and rate some of Britain's biggest names... and Peter Stringfellow:

David Beckham: 10 (out of a possible 10)
“He has a very good face and figure and he has lots of style. In Kazakhstan, we have heard of your David Beckham.

“Kazakhstan girls like the fact that he is a good, faithful husband to his wife Victoria. He must love her very much as he is always pictured with her.

“He is a wonderful family man and Kazakh girls think they would be lucky to end up with a man as caring as him.” [Tells her about Rebecca Loos] “What? That cannot be! He would never do such a thing, I know.”

Gordon Brown, Chancellor: 1
“His crumpled face makes me think he is tired and argues too much. Not very attractive at all. He must be a politician.”

David Cameron, Tory leader: 3
“Every hair is in exactly the right place and his skin is very clear. I don’t think this man is particularly stylish himself, but he has a very clever stylist.”

Robbie Williams: 9
“He has a funny face with humour written through it. It’s not a handsome face, but there’s something that attracts me to him.”

Pete Doherty: 3
“He looks like an artist of some sort. There’s something attractively feminine about his little face, although he looks to be in a terrible state. Kazakh girls do not like men who preen in front of the mirror, but this one has taken it too far the other way – he’s really let himself go.”

John Prescott, Deputy PM: 0
“He has a face like a big dumpling. You can tell he works in politics or some other job where he sits on his bottom all day.” [Tells her about Tracy Temple] “I cannot believe this. She must have found something else attractive about him. Perhaps he is very intelligent, or has a lovely personality.”

Wayne Rooney: 5
“This man has the face of a sportsman. He looks young and I think he would prefer the older woman. He is more my type than that scruffy one [Pete Doherty]. His hair’s much better.”

Peter Stringfellow: 7

“Is he a film star of some kind? He looks very charming and a pleasant old man, but he also looks like he’s trying a bit too hard.

“I can tell he earns a lot of money but he’s too showy with it. A more subtle approach would be better. Would I be interested? Maybe if I was a lot older.”

Chris Tarrant, TV presenter who's had an affair: 5
“Judging by his smile, I think he must be a rich businessman, a company boss or a politician. His face may be wrinkled but his smile is nice.

“It’s the kind of smile that attracts girls, and especially older women. I bet he keeps on smiling through the good times and the bad. Five points just for the smile.”

******************************************************************************************
KAZAKHSTAN’S TOP JOKES

Kazakhs love traditional knockabout humour and gags are popular over a bowlful or two of fermented horse milk.

Many are massively racist and would cause widespread offence in the UK.

Here are some of the most popular printable jokes that never fail to raise a laugh:

1. An Englishman goes hunting in Africa and meets an elephant with a spear in its leg. The hunter pulls out the spear, cleans the wound and bandages it up. The elephant affectionately strokes the hunter’s head with his trunk before walking off into the jungle. Many years later, the hunter is at the circus back in England, when suddenly an elephant breaks loose. It charges straight towards the hunter but then stops in front of him and starts stroking his head gently with its trunk. Then it tramples him flat. It was a different elephant.
------------------------------------------
2. A newlywed Kazakh couple go on honeymoon to Moscow, and the wife is every bit as ugly as Kazakh women are traditionally supposed to be. They get separated in Red Square and the husband runs up to a policeman to beg for help. “Please help me search for my wife, she is lost,” he pleads in broken Russian. “Can you give me a description of her?” asks the policeman. “What do you mean by ‘description’?” asks the Kazakh. “Well, if I was to describe by wife,” answers the policeman, “I would say she has long, blonde hair, beautiful blue eyes, gorgeous legs…” “Forget looking for my wife,” says the Kazakh. “Let’s look for your wife.”
-------------------------------------------3. A Kazakh man brings shame on his family by marrying a lazy Russian wife. (Russian girls may be good looking, but they’re not half as handy around the home.) His mother arrives at their home to see him outside, sweeping the path, while his wife snores noisily indoors. “What kind of a son do you call yourself?” wails the mother as she grabs for the broom. “Let me sweep this. You make me ashamed.” “No mother,” shouts the husband, grabbing back the broom. “You are old and this is my problem. Let me sweep up.” Then the Russian wife sticks her head out of the window and yells: “Will you two stop arguing about the sweeping? Your mum can do it tomorrow.”

newsoftheworld.co.uk

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Borat's U.S. road trip makes benefit for glorious Cohen

by CHARLOTTE O'SULLIVAN

24th October 2006

Certificate: 15
Rating:

Thumbs up: The Borat movie is a success with audiences (we love seeing someone annoy the Yanks)

Borat Sagdiyev is not a credit to his country. As channelled by British comic Sacha Baron Cohen, the Kazakhstan TV host is wildly misogynistic, rabidly racist and improperly toilet-trained.

His big-screen debut has already enraged the representatives of his supposed homeland (I watched this with a Kazakhstan minister seated one row behind; he didn't look best pleased).

But the real target of this boisterous faux-documentary is America and Americans. It's not just picking on the little guy.

Book-ended by visits to Borat's local village, the bulk of the film charts our hero's road trip across America - officially to educate himself in Western values but actually on a mission to make Pamela Anderson his wife.

Stopping over in New York, he terrifies commuters by letting loose chickens on the subway and attempts to kiss passing men on the street.

But it's when Borat ventures into the great American heartland that matters get really interesting.

Addressing the throng at a rodeo, he draws cheers when he praises George Bush's "war of terror" and expresses the hope that the president "drinks the blood of every man, woman and child in Iraq".

It is only when he proceeds to sing the Kazakhstan national anthem to the tune of The Star Spangled Banner that the hissing starts.

Such high-risk, satirical comedy is what Borat does best. Watching it, one is struck both by Cohen's prowess as a physical comedian, and his audacity and ingenuity in somehow shaping and dictating a situation that appears to be running out of control. It's akin to seeing Peter Sellers create Clouseau on the hoof, without a script and surrounded by an angry mob.

Cohen's last feature-length outing, Ali G Indahouse, was a disappointment, in part because it opted to insert his character inside a fiction plot.

Borat is better because it has halflearned its lesson, but only half. For every dangerous stunt at the rodeo, or street corner, or hotel convention hall, there is another that is obviously staged.

Finally alighting in Malibu, the TV presenter accosts Anderson and attempts to kidnap her. Was Pammy in on the joke?

It's safe to assume she was. In such moments the viewer is left marvelling not at Cohen's bravery, but at how well-connected he must now have become.

• Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan is showing at the London Film Festival tomorrow and Saturday. The LFF runs until 2 November. Call 020 7928 3232 or log on to www.lff.org.uk.

Here's what readers have had to say so far.

I believe Borat's audacity makes this movie the best since Inspector Clouseau!...

- Q, Canada
----------------------------------------------------------------
The last time I was this excited about waiting for something was the birth of my daughter!
Borat is the greatest male role model since Homer Simpson.
I like!

- Prem Shah, Pinner, Middlesex

dailymail.co.uk

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I'm actually looking forward to this stupid movie- the local radio keeps playing clips of some joke about a television wearing boots and walking, it's SO bad but it reminds me of this nutty Hungarian dude I knew when I was younger and I can't help but laugh no matter how wrong it kinda seems