After 100 years, Peter Pan the sequel hits the shops

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
After 100 years, Peter Pan the sequel hits the shops

5th October 2006

Peter Pan In Scarlet. A gala party is being held at The Orangery, in Kensington Palace, London tonight to celebrate the launch of the book in 30 countries.

The author with the new Peter Pan book: Geraldine McCaughrean was chosen from 200 authors to write the sequel

The long-awaited official sequel to JM Barrie's Peter Pan was hitting bookshelves in 30 countries around the world today.

Peter Pan in Scarlet has been written by British children's author Geraldine McCaughrean. In the new book, set 20 years after the original, Wendy is now a wife and mother, and Peter is still "lion-hearted and heartless" while "a little boy in need of friends and a game to play".

Captain Hook's spirit is stalking Neverland and newcomers include mysterious circus master The Great Ravello, and a male fairy Fireflyer.

The plot and new characters were a fiercely guarded secret, with a pre-publication embargo placed on the book.

But in August, an investigation was launched into how a copy of the book came to be leaked to a US newspaper.

McCaughrean said today: "Now I'm quivering like a greyhound, waiting to see what people think of my book when it finally hits the shops.

"Will Peter Pan and Neverland work their infallible magic? I got more than my fair share of fun out of writing Peter Pan in Scarlet, but I'm sure there's plenty left over for the children who read it."

A gala party is being held at The Orangery, in Kensington Palace, London tonight to celebrate the worldwide launch of the sequel - more than 100 years after the original - in 34 languages. Around 200 copies pre-signed by McCaughrean are being sold at the shop at Great Ormond Street Hospital.

McCaughrean was handpicked to write the sequel from nearly 200 authors around the world after Great Ormond Street launched a search for a writer in August 2004. Entrants were asked to submit a sample chapter and synopsis.

Great Ormond Street's copyright, bequeathed to it by Barrie in 1929, runs out next year. The royalties for the new book will be split between McCaughrean and the hospital.

David Barrie, JM Barrie's great-great-nephew, said today: "JM Barrie could never have guessed that Peter Pan would still be making a vital difference to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital almost 70 years after his death.

"I'm sure he would be delighted to know that, thanks to Geraldine McCaughrean's sequel, the boy who wouldn't grow up will go on helping children back to health for many years to come."

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: