7. Stockholm Syndrome
8. Storm In A Teacup
9. Last Bus
10. Brewster
11. What You Could've Won
12. Roll Out The Barrel

------------------------------------------------------------

Milburn - Well Well Well, They're Not The Monkeys

Milburn: From Sheffield, the same city as the mighty Arctic Monkeys.

Joe Carnall- vocals, bass guitar
Louis Carnall- vocals/rhythm guitar
Tom Rowley- guitar (rhythm and lead)
Joe Green- drums

Milburn's debut album, Well Well Well, is set for release this autumn, following the singles Lipstick Lickin', Send In The Boys and Cheshire Cat Smile.

Having a place like Sheffield on your musical CV is a green light for the press to dredge up comparisons and make wild predictions for the future. "This band will be the next (insert obvious name of ice cold simians here) by the end of the year", for instance.

Milburn, it seems will be more than happy to remain themselves. The quartet are cramped round the table in a King's Cross pub, beers in hand and conversation flowing almost as freely.

Present and correct are singer/bassist Joe Cornall, a young pretender to Danny Goffey perhaps, who has achieved four top-grade 'A' levels but turned down Cambridge University for his shot at a pop career. Opposite him is brother Louis, a rhythm guitarist who enjoyed a short stint as an electrician, and then in the middle sits guitarist Tom Rowley, recently shed of his banking responsibilities. Finally on the end is Joe Green ('Greeny'), the down to earth bassist whose previous includes loss adjusting and working on insurance claims.

Together the band's aggregate age is comfortably shy of one hundred, they've just signed to Mercury records and the album's finished, in the bag for an early Autumn release. Time for a holiday then!

"Well we've been off for the world cup - purposely!" says Tom, "so we've been practising but watching all the games as well. We're getting ready for a load of live dates and festivals too." At the time of speaking the band were preparing for their T in the Park appearance, The Fratellis and The Automatic thereabouts on the bill. Already an affinity with the Scots is clear, as without hesitation the band agree on Edinburgh as their favourite gig from the last tour. "You just don't expect people to know you there", says Tom, "but they went totally mental for us, and knew all the words to the songs. Actually the whole of the last tour in general people were fucking brilliant. We loved it in Edinburgh though when Louis jumped off stage, the crowd parted and he fell flat on his face!"

Their festival roster is full for the remainder of the summer, as Joe explains. "We're off to Japan for the Fuji Rocks festival, and we're doing Leeds - can't wait for that - and then I imagine we'll be touring round the album when that comes out." Due last September, the as yet untitled debut is something the band are happy with. "We're not sick of the songs yet!" says the singer, "although we've been playing them loads we just want to get them packaged and out to people." "The B-sides are still my favourite" offers Greeny, and the band nod sagely in agreement. "The crowd are proper barmy when we play some of them."

So what do they write about? Louis considers. "Well them two (he points to Tom and his brother) write most of the songs. We do bits and bobs but then it gets to band practice and we all chip in until we get bored or until it's good. Normally our songs are short though!" "We write about anything and everything" says brother Joe, "some are observational, but then for me truly observational is the sort of stuff Mike Skinner would write. But what are you supposed to write about? We just find that writing direct is the best way for us to go. With Coldplay's first album or Oasis, you don't always know what the songs are about, but there's a direct communication there."

"It's only 20 minutes to get into. Not like London, where in 20 minutes it seems like you don't get anywhere..."
- Joe compares Sheffield with the capital

The band are closely linked to the Arctic Monkeys, and not just geographically. It becomes clear they are keen to stay away from this subject for now however, understandably preferring to talk about themselves rather than their mates. A simple "yes" is all that's required from Tom when asked if they know them well, followed by complete silence. Later their manager confirms the closeness of their relationship - almost of sibling intensity.

Instead the band are more forthcoming on Sheffield's attractions. "It's just a big village", says Joe Cornall, "and it's only 20 minutes to get into. Not like London, where in 20 minutes it seems like you don't get anywhere. People are a lot more honest in Sheffield as well, more willing to help you. Down here everyone's too busy." His mild issues with London extend to the music business. "People who you meet here just put you off, and we find that up north the fans are miles better, fans that'll come and see you for the music rather than anything else."

The band formed at school and are all childhood friends, so they take heart from the successes of bands like Ash. "We do", says the affable Greeny, "and also inspiration from bands like Supergrass, even The Coral, who've been around for three, four albums now. Muse, too, they've been going for twelve years. They're a hard working, established band who deserve everything they get. Everyone that sees them knows they're good live".

"My mum was pregnant with me when she went and saw Queen live, so we reckon that made it for me."
- Greeny on his musical roots

Such judgements are made with authority rather than arrogance, for it's clear the band know their music, and value what they do. Not for a minute do they sound like Muse though! Joe offers "northern romanticism" as a description of their sound and songs. Greeny adds more. "We take the Jam as one of our influences - every modern band should - but they're one of many. The Specials, they're another." And then, rather less predictably, "I actually like Bobby Brown, I think he's a lyrical genius!"

At which point he starts singing R Kelly's She's Got That Vibe - cut from similar cloth, admittedly - with a gusto that suggests it could be a bridge too far on the beer front, or, more likely, that his record collection already has an impressive depth. "My mum was pregnant with me when she went and saw Queen live, so we reckon that made it for me. I think Prince is such a legend as well, and not just for being a musical talent but I really admire him for when he changed his name! The Red Hot Chili Peppers too, we like them collectively - it's not really reflected in our music but more because of their musical talent, they're some of the best musicians in the world."

And with that, on to the next interview and accompanying pint, the band's confidence later proved at T in the Park not to be misplaced. Their sound may be similar to one or two of their Northern contemporaries doing the rounds at the moment, but the sharpness of their songwriting and delivery, coupled with a lyrical aptitude, seems to have put them in a good position. Now for that debut album...

www.musicomh.com