Don Mclean American Pie

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It is a great song. A little schmaltzy but very big during its time. It did seem to signal the death of a certain accrued innocence from the 60's. I always liked its companion piece Vincent better.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Don Mclean American Pie

Jersay said:
Said1 said:
So you like this song Jersay?

I can't listen to it without thinking of my father, one of his favs.

American Pie is a great song.

It is. It reminds me of all those pompadore wearing, chev driving, beer drinking guys you don't see anymore.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Don Mclean American P

It's a good song (even though it's all about how american music is better than british music). Listen to the lyrics, it's very anti-british and pro-american.

P.S. madonna ruined it big time, her version sucks.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Don Mclean American P

gc said:
It's a good song (even though it's all about how american music is better than british music). Listen to the lyrics, it's very anti-british and pro-american.

I've heard the song many times but never paid much attention to any of the lyrics, other than the chorus. I just read the full lyrics at least 4 times, and I have absolutely no idea what this tune is about. I don't rightly believe that it is about anything. Well, maybe about a trip on a really crazy hallucinogenic?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Re: RE: Don Mclean American P

Simpleton said:
gc said:

I've heard the song many times but never paid much attention to any of the lyrics, other than the chorus. I just read the full lyrics at least 4 times, and I have absolutely no idea what this tune is about. I don't rightly believe that it is about anything. Well, maybe about a trip on a really crazy hallucinogenic?

here is an interesting Link

I don't believe half the stuff in that link, just some of it.
for example:

"But february made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step"

Buddy Holly (and Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper) died in february. That's what he means when he says "the day the music died". It is the death of these american musicians.

"Now for ten years we’ve been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin’ stone,"

Making fun of the rolling stones??

"And while lennon (lenin?) read a book of marx,
The quartet practiced in the park,
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died."

Reference to the beatles?

"The birds flew off with a fallout shelter,
Eight miles high and falling fast."

The Byrds had an album called eight miles high I believe. Read the link, it has a good section on this.

"So come on: jack be nimble, jack be quick!
Jack flash sat on a candlestick
Cause fire is the devil’s only friend."

I think this is the most obvious part. Jack flash is probably a reference to the rolling stones song, and he is calling mick jagger the devil (probably because of the rolling stones song sympathy for the devil)

"Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No angel born in hell
Could break that satan’s spell."

Another reference to the devil mick jagger??

Oh and the name of the song "american pie", I guess he thinks rock and roll is "american".

Well that's some of what I think the song means, I don't know the rest though.