Father Ted and Vicar of Dibley

glossprincess

Electoral Member
Feb 5, 2006
Just wondering if anyone else is as hooked on these 2 tv shows as I am! They are soooooooo hilarious, cant get enough!

sha_zapple

Nominee Member
Jan 26, 2006
RE: Father Ted and Vicar

Father Ted used to be on CBC. Great show, I havent seen it for years though.

"nuns!" - father jack

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Father Ted is a British comedy series about 3 vicars who live in an isolated house near a cliff on the Irish coast. There's Father Ted, and living with him is Dougal (who's not very bright) and they live with another priest who's old a decrepit and (being in Ireland and being Catholic) is always drunk and out of his mind, and the only things he ever says are swear words.

The show is hilarious.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Father Ted Quotes.

Father Ted

Dougal, how did you get into the church in the first place? Was it, like, 'collect 12 crisp packets and become a priest'?

Once again Dougal, you've made me look like a complete fool in front of real people. Thanks very much

The Chinese. A great bunch of lads!

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do. Whereas priests...

...More drink!

So there he is. Risen from the dead. Like that feller.... E.T.

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These (pointing to plastic cows on table) are very small; those
(pointing at cows in field ) are far away (but Dougal still fails to understand)...

You know the phrase 'to take care of something'? Well, I realise now that you meant that in a sort of
Al Pacino way. Whereas I was thinking more along the lines of Julie Andrews.

JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!

---------------------------------------------
Father Dougal

Sorry Ted. I was concentrating too hard on looking holy.

God, Ted. D'you remember that feller who was so good at fashion they had to shoot him?

I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted, but I'd say there's about seventeen million of them out there

It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.

Those women were in the nip!

As if magic, I can create a big crowd of invisible ducks.

How come all the rocks are different sizes?

A one-word film. There can't be too many of those. Salem's Lot?

C'mere Ted, Ted, Teddy, Ted. God, I love being a priest. We're all going to heaven lads,
wheeeyyyyyy!

Do you believe in God, then Ted?

You're right Ted. I used to be happy enough with me old bike - I used to get a big buzz out of just
going down to the shops on it, you know? But after a while... it just wasn't enough. I started going
for bigger and bigger thrills... But I could give it up! Any time I wanted!
---------------------------------------
Mrs Doyle the tea lady

Pat was just wondering if he could put his massive tool in my box.

I'm so excited. Taking on three bishops all at once. I can't wait.

Oh she writes such filth, Father. It's always "Feck this" and "Feck that" - and sometimes she even
uses the "F" word!

Now come on Father, what would you say to a nice cup of tea?

Oh it's a filthy, dirty business, sex. Can you imagine, Father. Your husband standing over you with
his lad in his hand, wanting you to degrade yourself. I want you to get a good clear picture.

God I've never seen a clock at 5 a.m. before!

http://www.mgnet.karoo.net/FATHER TED/FATHERTEDqoutes.htm
------------------------------------------------------------
You left the cyanide capsules next to the Valium, you old fool. That's just asking for trouble!
Father Fitzpatrick

FLOOR! COR-TAINS! GOBSHITE!
Father Jack

It's nice to have a nun around. Gives the place a bit of glamour.
Father Ted

So then. You're a nun?
Father Ted

And now on BBC1: Jurassic Park. The Director's Cut. With extra dinosaurs.
Father Ted

Jack: (after sobering up [[which is rare]]) YOU! YOU! YOU! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
Ted: That's a spoon, Father

Dougal: God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
Ted: No, Dougal, that's us. That's Catholicism.
Dougal: Oh right.

Ted: What was it [Jack] used to say about the needy? He had a term for them.
Dougal: A shower of bastards.

Won't you have some cake, Father? It's got cocaine in it. Oh no, hang on, it's not cocaine, is it. What do I mean now? - the little things... Raisins!
Mrs Doyle

http://hem.passagen.se/linus.thand/stuff/quotes.html?k#father

A big difference between British and American comedy is that American comedy is "cleaner." You hardly ever hear anyone swear or being rude in Friends or Frasier as you do in British comedies, and the actors in American comedies are always clean-cut with pearly white teeth and are quite rich. Half the stuff on British comedies would never get shown on US TV.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I love the Father Ted shows - Havent seen the other one yet. But Father Ted is on DVD now so Im going to get it.. I am such a sucker for the Irish accents too...

glossprincess

Electoral Member
Feb 5, 2006
I agree with you 100% Backleaf! Americans can be so ahead of the rest of the world in so many different ways and soo behind in others! Our sense of humour is similar to the British so we LOVE your shows and some of ours are like that too.

Lots of tourists get a big shock at some of the language used here. Like I was watching an interview with some celebrity on 'Sunrise', our morning news program and the presenter goes, 'you play quite a bitchy character, dont you?' and the actress looked shocked!! She couldnt believe he'd said that on live, national tv!

But back to Father Ted, I remember most of those quotes and theyre all hilarious!