Theatre-goers faint during bloody Shakespeare play.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fans watching a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre, a thatched reconstruction of an Elizabethan open-air theatre on the south bank of the Thames, have been fainting in shock at the harrowing scenes in one of Shakespeare's bloodiest plays.

Lots of the audience at the Globe stand up whilst watching the performance.

Not for the fainthearted
By Stephanie Condron
(Filed: 03/06/2006)

The Globe Theatre.

Theatre-goers have been told that there is a high risk of fainting at the Globe Theatre's production of one of Shakespeare's bloodiest plays.

First-aid assistants and ushers with wheelchairs have been on hand during performances of Titus Andronicus to help members of the audience who are overcome.

Laura Rees (minus hands) as Lavinia in the Bard's most harrowing play

One scene in particular, in which Titus's daughter Lavinia enters bloodied and ravished, has proved too harrowing for some.

The play opened at the end of last month and is due to run until October. The Globe, a thatched reconstruction of an Elizabethan open-air theatre on the south bank of the Thames, is not revealing exactly how many people have fainted during the first performances. But it issued a statement saying: "We have had a higher level of fainters this year than we normally would experience.

"Titus Andronicus is one of Shakespeare's more gruesome and bloody plays and audiences should be aware of its graphic nature before seeing it."

Shakespeare is believed to have written the play in the early 1590s - several years before the original Globe was built - and, as reactions at the theatre show, it is still proving surprisingly powerful.

The production was described by The Daily Telegraph as "the wildest, most darkly thrilling night in town". It explores how revenge can backfire and is something of a bloodbath from start to finish.

Titus Andronicus returns triumphant to Rome after battle, having taken Tamora, the Queen of Goths, and her three sons prisoner. When he kills one of her sons the bloody cycle of revenge begins.

It is the sight of Laura Rees, who plays Lavinia, in bloody robes, twitching and convulsing, that is proving too much for some. She has been ravished by Tamora's two sons and has had her tongue cut out and her hands chopped off.

Rees said she saw a young woman faint in front of her on Wednesday night. Within minutes, a middle-aged man nearby had also dropped and a woman in her sixties in the middle gallery, sitting above them, passed out.

Ms Rees without the stage blood

Rees, 27, said: "Normally I do not notice if people faint, as I tend to be quite engrossed in the theatre. But I did notice that first lady. She was slap-bang in the middle at the front. I heard people stumbling around then I could see the ushers dealing with it.

"It is a gruesome idea and a graphic image. A girl covered in blood because she has had her tongue cut out and hands chopped off is a lot to deal with."

Rees, who trained at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, said: "Everyone knows it is stage blood but it is still shocking."

Fainting is thought to be a particular problem at the Globe, where there is a large, uncovered standing area (as was normal in theatres in Elizabethan England). Some theatre-goers who become tired are sometimes overcome on sunny days and evenings. But that does not explain the spate of fainting during performances in the recent cool spell.

It may not all be attributable to the blood: some theatre-goers are thought to pass out from holding their breath for too long.

telegraph.co.uk

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How Shakespeare's masterly use of suspense can still shock
By Charles Spencer
(Filed: 03/06/2006)

The ghost of Shakespeare is probably enjoying a quiet chuckle.

More than four centuries after he wrote his goriest tragedy, it still makes people faint - further proof that anything modern dramatists can do, Shakespeare almost always did first, and better.

A decade or so ago a new generation of young playwrights, led by Sarah Kane and Mark Ravenhill, caused a stir with so-called in-your-face theatre.

Almost every new play you went to see, especially at the Royal Court, included a graphic bout of eye-gouging, anal rape or cannibalism.

Although I remember many people walking out of such shows in disgust , I can't remember many fainting. The secret of Shakespeare's success is that he understood that it is suspense that makes matters really unbearable.

The most shocking scene in Titus Andronicus is when the suffering old warrior has his hand chopped off before our very eyes. It is shocking because we have to wait for several minutes, listening to endless puns on the word hand, before the cruellest cut falls.

As Oscar Wilde once said: "The suspense is terrible - I hope it lasts." In Macbeth, too, the massacre of Macduff's family is especially nerve-shredding because Shakespeare gives the audience a chance to get to know the victims and realise what will happen to them, long before the killers arrive.

One dramatist has improved on Shakespeare - if that is the mot juste. The blinding of Gloucester in King Lear is bad enough ("out, vile jelly") but, in Edward Bond's adaptation of the play, he invented a revoltingly ingenious eyeball-removing machine.

The St John Ambulance Service was on permanent standby when the play was staged at the Barbican Pit theatre, and up to half a dozen fainting victims were taken out of each performance on stretchers.

Film may offer realistic special effects, but the theatre, with necessarily cruder techniques, can still create a visceral effect. There is something about the horrors happening to flesh-and-blood actors that makes theatrical violence particularly effective.

Director Lucy Bailey judges the shock-horror to cruel perfection in Titus Andronicus at the Globe.

Film director Bryan Forbes was less successful with his notorious production of Macbeth at the Old Vic in 1980.

When Peter O'Toole took to the stage after killing Banquo, drenched in stage blood, the audience laughed with incredulous delight.

It was one of the most famous flops in theatrical history. It requires real art to make people faint with shock.

telegraph.co.uk