First Arctic Monkey is feeling the heat.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The curse of the US strikes a British band again.

The Times May 23, 2006

Bassist Andy Nicholson: the group’s website fans knew that he had no liking for the limelight (Chris Floyd/Camera Press)

First Arctic Monkey is feeling the heat
By Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent

THEIR rise was stratospheric but will Arctic Monkeys burn out? The record-breaking band’s bassist walked out of their North American tour yesterday, citing fatigue.

Andy Nicholson said he would not take part in the tour, seen as vital in establishing the Sheffield quartet as a serious force in the world’s biggest music market.

A statement from the band said that Nicholson, 19, was suffering from “fatigue following an intensive period of touring”. His place will be taken by Nick O’Malley, former bassist in another young Sheffield band, the Dodgems.

The band hopes that Nicholson will recover for their summer European dates, but there are fears within the music industry that the young bandmembers are already suffering from overexposure.

Their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not is the fastest-selling- ever in Britain, approaching one million sales only four months after its release.

Arctic Monkeys have just finished an extensive British tour but have 44 international dates to complete before they can take a break and work on new material in September.

After the coast-to-coast North American tour that begins in Canada this weekend, they will play European rock festivals before an assault on Australia and Japan in August.

They have already toured North America this year but are returning to play bigger venues with a capacity of up to 3,000 to meet the demand created by their album.

The deadpan Nicholson met Alex Turner, the Arctic Monkeys’ frontman, at Barnsley College and was unemployed when he joined the band. He is not a songwriter but the solid rhythm section he established with the drummer Matt Helders, incorporating funk and jazz elements, is at the core of the band’s distinctive sound.

Arctic Monkeys found fame when fans swapped their music over file-sharing websites. Thousands logged on to the band’s web forum to debate Nicholson’s absence.

Most agreed with GavDann, who wrote: “He just needs a bit of a time-out. The whole band could probably do with one. It’s been a hectic 12 months.” Jon Stark posted: “I’m not saying he’s the world’s greatest bass player but he’s perfect for this band’s sound. I’m praying he will come back to it cos he never hid the fact he wasn’t keen on the limelight.”

Articulated Monkey sensed a conspiracy: “The bass player is always exit stage-right? He only really interacts with the drummer (with quizzical looks), and he never leaves his spot! Is there a hierarchy going on?”

Rigorous American touring fractured Oasis, the last great British rock hope, a decade ago. The bassist Paul McGuigan refused to tour the US in 1995, citing exhaustion, while both Gallagher brothers have stormed out of the band while on the road.

America has cast a shadow over more fragile British musicians. Ian Curtis, the Joy Division singer, committed suicide on the eve of the band’s US tour, and Richey Edwards, the Manic Street Preachers’ guitarist, disappeared before a big American tour and is presumed dead.

But while six months of touring has proved too much for an Arctic Monkey, the Rolling Stones camp confirmed yesterday that Keith Richards is ready to rock again.

The guitarist, 63, arrived at his US home after making a full recovery from brain surgery after falling out of a coconut tree. A revised Stones tour itinerary will be released but the British concerts are unaffected.

STRUNG OUT

Stuart Sutcliffe Original Beatle, so inept that Paul McCartney would unplug his guitar in Hamburg. Died at 21 of brain haemorrhage

Sid Vicious Drafted into Sex Pistols for inability to play. Died of drug overdose aged 21 after charged with murder of Nancy Spungen

Paul “Guigsy” McGuigan Oasis bassist ducked out of 1995 US tour citing “nervous exhaustion”. Left for good in 1999

Andy Rourke Found note on car after conviction for drugs: “Andy, you have left The Smiths. Good luck and goodbye, Morrissey.” Rejoined

John Entwistle The Who’s “The Ox” died aged 57 on tour from cocaine-induced heart attack in Las Vegas

Adam Clayton Missed U2’s 1993 concert in Sydney through over-indulgence. Replaced by roadie

Derek Smalls Spinal Tap hero. “David and Nigel are like fire and ice. I feel my role . . . to be somewhere in the middle, like lukewarm water”

www.arcticmonkeys.com/forum/index.php

thetimesonline.co.uk