Fess up on secret music favorites

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Everyone has the musical-taste skeletons in the closet. Favorites they wouldn't admit to in church confession. Here's the place to get it all out. Songs and/or artists.

I enjoy... *gulp*...Willy Nelson. Man that was hard to type. I don't like all of his stuff but some of it is pure genius.

I even like some of the 70's disco stuff. Not all, just the funky stuff :wink: .

Come on, let it out.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I can admit it, I like Willie Nelson, no shame in that!

In fact, I love most old country. I blame it on my father and his 45 collection. That an how loud he used to play them when he had a good jag on. :lol:

As for confessions. Hmmmm. I'll admit to "Best of My Love" by the Emotions.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Fess up on secret music favorites

Said1 said:

In fact, I love most old country. I blame it on my father and his 45 collection. That an how loud he used to play them when he had a good jag on. :lol:

I grew up with a fiddler for a father. He played with some fairly big names in country way way back. The stuff is now deeply imbedded in my bloodstream.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Kreskin said:
Said1 said:

I grew up with a fiddler for a father. He played with some fairly big names in country way way back. The stuff is now deeply imbedded in my bloodstream.

That's it, testify brother.

Did you receive lessons?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Said1 said:
Kreskin said:
Said1 said:

That's it, testify brother.

Did you receive lessons?

Said, he played Cape Breton fiddle like no one. And no one played texas swing like him. There was a quality to his playing and imagination that was difficult to hear anywhere. I couldn't believe no one in our family would carry on the magic of his fiddle tunes. In 1995 I asked him to teach me. I had some music background myself so would be a reasonably fast learner. We started, and things were going well, but about 6 months later he had a massive stroke.

Those days are over and he is gone now, but at any given moment I can pick a tune and hear his fiddle inside me as if he was right there. Every last detailed note, slur, phrase. Unfortunately I will not be able to share that with the rest of the world.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Wow, incredible story. I love Texas Swing myself, Bob Wills, Milton Brown. I also love Junior Brown and Asleep at the Wheel, not quite the same, but still Texas boys.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel, that's stuff we played.

Speaking of Willy Nelson, the first time we heard 'City of New Orleans' was as we were having a beer getting ready to play at a pub (early 80's). We just sat there listening, and when it finished my dad said "wow, what a song". To this day that song amazes me. I discover something new about it every time I hear it.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
about---20 years ago--- i went through self destructive phase in my life-- during which time i would only listen--- obsessively to the music of one band----joy division----

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Secret Music Favourites

Anything by Enrique Iglesias, to be honest.

Whenever I hear his voice I get sucked into some sort of dream-state. :oops:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
whoooo Boy, fession time
ready fer this? loll

Elvis
Patsy Kline
Brenda Lee

...I'm sure there's more, but those are a couple off the top

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
joy division---post-punk band from britain
1980s
nothing to be ashamed at
musically--- nothing to it
not one of them
could play their instruments properly

dark dreary
nihilistic lyrics
their distraught poet- vocalist-- ian curtis
sounded somewhat like jim morrison-ranting
he was-- a depersonalized angry young man
who eventually committed suicide
the band then morphed into
new order-- a self conscious sell out

if you ever come across any of their albums--
ie joy division
in second hand vinyl shops etc---- DO NOT PURCHASE THEM

also--- a favorite of mine from around that dark era--
canadas own skinny puppy

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
Re: Secret Music Favourites

FiveParadox said:
Anything by Enrique Iglesias, to be honest.

Whenever I hear his voice I get sucked into some sort of dream-state. :oops:

are you ok.....

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I love the Carlton Show Band, Julio Eglesias-Five that's your bad boy's father. I grew up listening to Trucker Songs like Teddy Bear, and The Grass Grows Back, Daddies Girl etc. Sniff some really sad tales those truckers tell. Willie of course-All the Girls I've loved before. Jimmy Buffet-censored. Merle senior. Kenny Rogers-Green Green Grass of Home. Carol Baker-I've never been this far before (sure you haven't).

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Kreskin said:
Said, what were some of tunes in the 45 collection?
Both my parents had an extensive album collection, in their 45 box, they had everything from Captain Beefheart to Feron young. My mother liked Acid Rock, Folk and Reggae, my father like everything from Elvis to Johnny Horton. They were both big Charlie Rich fans too.