Breaking news: Gene Pitney has died during his UK tour.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
BREAKING NEWS

Gene Pitney dies on tour
By LACHLAN CARTWRIGHT
Sun Online

THE entertainment world was in mourning today following the death of legendary singer Gene Pitney.

The 65-year-old American star died in the middle of his UK tour.

He will be best remembered for the hits Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa and Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart.

A spokesman for South Wales Police said: “We’ve had a report of a death this morning. It is not believed to be suspicious.

“We had the call just before 10.10am. The body, which has not been formally identified yet, was found at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff.”

Pitney had played the city’s St David’s Hall last night.

His death came as a shock to friends, who said he had appeared in good health.

Pitney’s tour manager James Kelly said: "We don’t have a cause of death at the moment but it looks like it was a very peaceful passing."

“He was found fully-clothed, on his back, as if he had gone for a lie-down.

“It looks as if there was no pain whatsoever, which is nice.

“Last night was generally one of the happiest and most exuberant performances we’ve seen out of him.

“He was absolutely on top of his game and was really happy with the show.

“I got the news a couple of hours ago and I’m flabbergasted.”

Tour promoter Mark Howse said: “I last spoke to him on Sunday after the show at Symphony Hall in Birmingham. He was very well and was enjoying the tour.

“He was talking about the next time he was coming over to Britain as he said this was the best tour he had done for a number of years.”

He added: “It’s terrible news and I’m still shaking.

“I just can’t believe it. There was no indication anything was wrong. It’s terribly sad.

“It wasn’t like a business relationship (with Gene) - he was a friend and that is why it has hit hard with everybody.

“It was almost like he had a family going around with him. He was a really nice person.”

thesun.co.uk