Jarhead

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Just finished watching Jarhead and I was actually surprised it was any good. Was a good movie, possibly on the same level as Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now.......

Tom Green Fan

Electoral Member
Feb 28, 2006
Brisbane
tomgreen.forumer.com
It was a hopeless movie. Sure, there were a few funny parts (mainly from the dude off 8 mile) but i walked out of the cinema asking myself wat the point of the movie was, and i still don't know. There was no ending, or conclusion, it just ended :?

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
the point of the film was that
that the military is a homoerotic institution
composed of beta-that is-second rate-- males
who spend losts of time wanking off waiting to kill someone
while their girlfriends and wives are getting lots from the alpha males back home--
it seemed unfairly biased against the military--even to me

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Hmmm...i guess I was the only one who enjoyed it. I have to correct my earlier post though, it was no where near Apocalypse Now, but just as good as Full Metal Jacket.......maybe I had a few too many that night so I over rated the move. Nonetheless I enjoyed it.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Re: RE: Jarhead

cortez said:
the point of the film was that
that the military is a homoerotic institution
composed of beta-that is-second rate-- males
who spend losts of time wanking off waiting to kill someone
while their girlfriends and wives are getting lots from the alpha males back home--
it seemed unfairly biased against the military--even to me

LOL Cortez. I like Jake Gyllenhahl as an actor but I somehow found this movie didnt bring home the real atrocities and horror of war. For me, The Deerhunter, Full Metal Jacket, and Apocalypse Now were more unnerving. The other movie(documentary) that leaves a shocking visual representation of the aftermath of the Gulf War is Lessons of Darkness by Werner Herzog[/i]

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I see Cortez had returned after spending a few days licking his wounds

Jarhead. Hmmmmm. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I really liked it. There were some very real aspects of the film, but it teetered on political statement at times which I felt took away from the story and character development. Yet again, I can relate to the story and some of the characters.

Perhaps a second viewing will bring a decision.

Cortez feel free not to address my posts. That way you won't have to worry yourself about becoming infuriated to the point of having to leave again.
LOL
M

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It should have some very real aspects since it was a memoir, not just a work of fiction. That's what was most interesting to me. I'm never going to experience something like that, so it's interesting to read about how someone else lives their experience.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

tracy said:
It should have some very real aspects since it was a memoir, not just a work of fiction. That's what was most interesting to me. I'm never going to experience something like that, so it's interesting to read about how someone else lives their experience.

I would read the book if I were you, I heard it was much more graphic and realistic than the movie.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Sorry can't be with you on this one as I thought Jarheads was a pretty shallow movie and has nothing on either Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket which I think is almost an insult to both movies putting jarheads into the same sentance as those two great movies. I think Jarheads will be one of those forgottien movies.

Now I have never been able to really determine which movie is better Apolcalpse now or Full Metal Jacket, now thats a question!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

Hank C said:
tracy said:

I would read the book if I were you, I heard it was much more graphic and realistic than the movie.

I actually did read the book, which is probably why I liked the movie more than some people. The book always seems to give you more info than the movie and this particular story is no exception,but I still thought it was well done.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
It's amazing how books are rarely even translated well into a movie. I don't think I've ever watched a movie which was anything close to as good as the book. But of course a movie script is often about 1/5-1/10 the size of the orginal book.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Mystic River was a pretty good translation of a book with multiple story lines woven together. That and it had great actors in it.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
Retired_Can_Soldier said:

Jarhead. Hmmmmm. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I really liked it. There were some very real aspects of the film, but it teetered on political statement at times which I felt took away from the story and character development. Yet again, I can relate to the story and some of the characters.

Cortez feel free not to address my posts. That way you won't have to worry yourself about becoming infuriated to the point of having to leave again.
LOL
M

wow- im offline for 36 hours and you notice-- why thank you
by the look of it youve been pretty busy fighting with some other worthy lefties-- and i see youve made yourself even more ridiculous--
say have you ever taken a lassie for a ride in your seaking

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
cortezzz said:

LOL
M

by the look of it youve been pretty busy fighting with some other worthy lefties-- and i see youve made yourself even more ridiculous--

other worthy lefties :lol:

theres only two trolls on this board, and you constitute one of them

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
Hank C said:
cortezzz said:

LOL
M

other worthy lefties :lol:

theres only two trolls on this board, and you constitute one of them

why thank you hank C !!!!!!!