Monkeys: Our crazy year.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Monkeys: Our crazy year

By CORINNE ABRAMS and
LOUISE COMPTON

THE ARCTIC Monkeys scored a hat-trick at the NME Awards last night, scooping gongs for best new band, best British band and best track.

Speaking exclusively to Sun Online, the Sheffield foursome – who beat off competition from the likes of Franz Ferdinand, Oasis and The Kaiser Chiefs – said it has been a whirlwind year.

Drummer Matt Helders told us: “It’s mad to think we’ve won three awards.

“And it’s crazy that this time last year we were playing to about six people in a club in Leicestershire.

"Now we’re sitting here at the NME awards after being named best British band – it’s mad.

“It’s been a really good night. Babyshambles played an acoustic set which was really good and The Sugababes played a cover of our track I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor which was really good.

“I think they are wicked, they do it better than us. They've got great voices."

Amazingly, this time last year few people had heard of the Arctic Monkeys.

But now the group - frontman Alex Turner, guitarist Jamie Cook, bassist Andy Nicholson and drummer Matt are topping the charts with their fantastic album Everything You Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.

With his NME gong tucked away in his coat pocket, Matt said: “It’s been a crazy year, we’ve been touring all around the country and we only played our first London gig last week.

"Everyone says we snubbed The Brits but we didn't, we were playing a gig. That’s why we got our mate from We Are Scientists to do our message for us.

"We decided to come here tonight because we were free and we've had a really good time."

Speaking about the group’s eagerly-anticipated follow-up album, Matt revealed: “The next record’s going to be a bit different.

"You will know it is us, but it will sound a bit different.

"We've got loads of tracks written but I don't know if we'll use them. We just write songs all the time.

He added: “We’re listening to loads of different stuff at the moment. Milburn are a great band. I reckon they’ll do well.”

thesun.co.uk