"Canada A Peoples History"

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
A joint project of the CBC TV network and the Raido-Canada service, this ambitious documentary series traced the History of Canada literally from the beginning--15,000 BC, to be exact. The subsquent episodes were nothing if not ambitious, covering the progress of the Dominion right up to 1850 AD. The seventeenth and final episode, covering the years 1976 to 1990, was open-ended enough to bear the title "In An Uncertain World". Three years in the making, the series utilized interviews, rare photographs, precious paintings and etchings, and vividly dramatic re-enactments. Telecast in English and French versions, Canada: A People's History ran from October 22, 2000 to November 18, 2001, yielding such ancillary projects as a two-volume book, a website, and a bestselling CD. ~ All Movie Guide

http://history.cbc.ca/histicons/

The series is also available for sale on DVD:

http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/shopping/product.aspx?Product_ID=ETCPH00011&Variant_ID=1755ED&lang=en-CA

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: "Canada A Peoples His

I watched many fo teh episodes and thought they did a very good job overall, i specifically found the one on both wars to be very interesting as it covered similar material but had completely new footage about the wars especially the second one, including the spanish civil war and canada's response. Kudo's the all those involved

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I was very lucky to get copies of the books at a remaindered sale They are worth far more than the 20 dollars paid for them-beautifully illustrated,well written,entertaining and informative[slipcased,too!]

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
An Excellent Documentary

I have watched each episode, save the seventeenth, of Canada: A People's History, and I have to say that it is the best documentary of Canadian history that I have ever seen. In fact, when I took an advanced credit course for Social Studies Eleven, the series was used as learning material.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I enjoy watching Canada A Peoples History, but hopefully everyone remembers that this is only one story, it is not the actual truth because no actual truth can be found in history.

History fluxes every generation, or that is what they say in academic circles with the history field.

Personally, I liked, I enjoyed all the info on it but like I said before it is only one side of the story.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
a very pertinant point, jersay.

we can learn more about a people (time) by studying the works of fiction, the culture, the art, then by studying the recorded history.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well with the native people of Canada, most of their history is oral. It was all done orally, except for a few dang I forget the name, petroglyphs or something.

So, I take oral history seriously, but what if possibly it has been changed in the context of the time, if something has been left out here or there, so the people can 'achieve' something or if it is left out because it has been forgotten.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
information is routinely lost. information is also routinely destroyed.

anybody writing/telling of an event first hand is biased. However, the study of the stories and culture can reveal a more rounded view of a people. People draw on what they know, what is around them, in their creations.

Also, when an invading force lays claim over another people, they will routinely take to telling and retelling of stories to cast them in a good light. However, fictional works (based on the events) can tell us "the other side".

Stories want to be told.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Good point, but everything will have a bias to it sadly and in historical circles, it is well acknowledged that truth or the sense of truth that we look for with regards to history will never completely be found for a wide variety of reasons.