CTV: One Dead Indian

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
One dead Indian, is a movie regarding the tragedy at Ipperwash, a lands claim agreement that went bad in Ontario resulting in the death of Dudley George in 1995. The movie is on CTV if anyone wants to watch. And comment on it, I hope to watch it, it seems extremely interesting.

Ipperwash:

Anthony O'Brien "Dudley" George (March 17, 1957 - September 7, 1995) was a Canadian First Nations protestor who was shot and killed near Ipperwash Provincial Park in Ontario in 1995. He was protesting the Canadian government's seizure of the Stoney Point land. Dudley George was the only Aboriginal person killed by the police during an aboriginal land claims dispute in Canada in the twentieth century.

Dudley was the eighth of ten children to Geneviève ("Jenny") and Reg ("Nug") George. He was called Dudley because he loved to watch Dudley Do-Right, the television cartoon about a Mountie.

In 1936, the Province of Ontario created Ipperwash Provincial Park, and the following year, workers discovered a First Nations burial ground on the site. Despite band council requests to have the site fenced off and federal promises to do so, the park was completed on top of the grave land.

In 1942, during World War II, the Government of Canada wanted reserve land from the Stoney Point Band and offered to buy it for $15 per acre, and a promise to return the land after the war ended. The Natives rejected the offer, and in response, the federal government appropriated the Stoney Point Reserve under the War Measures Act.

On Labour Day Monday, September 4th, 1995, a group of Natives started a protest in Ipperwash Provincial Park to draw attention to the decades-old land claims. The park had closed at 6:00 p.m., and by 7:30, Native protestors had cut back a fence and moved vehicles into the Park. About thirty-five unarmed protestors occupied the park. The occupation came as no surprise to local police, as the Natives had been threatening to occupy the park since the previous May.

The police decided not to intervene that evening, hoping that the group would be more cooperative in the morning. That evening, Acting Superintendent John Carson of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) prepared a plan -- Project Maple -- for dealing with the Ipperwash occupation. The plan stressed "a peaceful resolution", and called for a team of thirteen negotiators to be on call around the clock.

Progressive Conservative Member of Provincial Parliament Marcel Beaubien was in contact with the police the following day, and Beaubien was believed to have contacted Premier Mike Harris. On Tuesday, September 5, several government officials were involved in a meeting in Toronto to discuss the Ipperwash protest. The meeting notes conclude that "The province will take steps to remove the occupiers ASAP."

By Wednesday, plans for negotiations and peaceful resolution were abandoned. On Wednesday evening, police riot squads stormed the park in an attempt to apprehend the protestors. Various police officers fired on vehicles and buildings. Among the police was Acting Sergeant Ken "Tex" Deane, who carried a Heckler and Koch submachine gun.

Near the park entrance, Deane fired three shots at Dudley George, who was carrying a stick. Deane missed with the first shot but hit Dudley's leg and chest with the second and third. Dudley called out to a nearby Native, Robert Isaac, who helped carry Dudley back into the park. Dudley was eventually loaded into a 1977 Chevrolet Impala, and driven to a hospital in Strathroy by Dudley's brother Pierre. Dudley's sister Carolyn ("Cully") and Dudley's friend J.T., also rode in the car.

Dudley had been shot with a hollow-tipped "mushroom" bullet, which caused major internal injuries. He was declared dead at 12:20 a.m. on September 7, 1995.

Acting Sergeant Ken Deane was convicted of criminal negligence causing death. Deane's defense was that he had believed that Dudley George was carrying a rifle. The judge rejected Deane's claim, but sentenced Deane to two years of community service.

Despite Deane's conviction, larger questions about the role of the office of Progressive Conservative Premier Mike Harris remained. Some argued that Harris urged strong police action in Ipperwash because a similar incident – the Oka crisis in Quebec – had caused the public to view the Quebec government as weak, and that this view contributed to the government's defeat in the next election. Some also believe that as Harris' government had been newly elected, they were both attempting to signal a departure from the policies of the previous Ontario New Democratic Party (NDP) government of Bob Rae and were also inexperienced in dealing with crises.

The George family repeatedly called on the Ontario and federal governments to launch an inquiry into the events at Ipperwash. An investigation was finally launched after the Ontario Conservatives lost power to the Ontario Liberal Party in the 2003 provincial election.

During the inquiry, a 17-minute tape recording surfaced that cast new light on the events at Ipperwash. The tape records a conversation between OPP Inspector Ron Fox and Inspector John Carson, the OPP commander overseeing the standoff at Ipperwash, prior to Dudley George's death. In it, they discuss the Premier's view that the government has "tried to pacify and pander to these people far too long" and to use "swift affirmative action" to remove them from the park.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_George"

Tragedy, by conservative government, led by red-necks especially Harris.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah.

In this particular case, the Indians were perfectly in the right.

Mike Harris and his government behaved like complete arseholes throughout the incident, and its aftermath. I didn't see the movie, but this has disgusted me for a long time.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yep, racism on the part of the OPP and the Ontario government by Mike Harris was particularly bad in this case.

And this was the first time in the 20th century that a native person had been killed in a dispute. There had been a ton of disputes beforehand in the 20th century, but you needed some 'idiots' to go in guns blazing.

And to think, George was still alive bleeding to death as the OPP had the nerve to stop his vehicle at a blockade.

The investigation into it has shed light onto the scandal.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
So the movie is going to be on at 8 pm on Wednesday on CTV. I don't know if that is eastern or Pacific, probably eastern. Hopefully I wil be able to watch it before I have to go.

Interesting movie.

bumbo

Jan 5, 2006
Sarnia, ON
As a former Army Cadet at CFB Ipperwash during the initial stages of the take over I find it quite disturbing to only hear the biased side of the story from the side of the natives. I agree it was tragic that someone lost thier life, but to believe that the natives were unarmed would be a major oversight especially when, while occupying our Rifle Range at Ipperwash they decided around 3-4 times a day that they would jump in thier pickups and drive accross our football field firing thier rifles in the air in the hopes of scaring off the military prescence there. It worked, my group staying there was the last one to be able to enjoy the experience of CFB Ipperwash. I agree that perhaps the police were a little overzelous and were most likely expecting a larger crowd, but I don't believe they were completely in the wrong either. I personally feel that this report may acctually be truthful:
http://sisis.nativeweb.org/ipperwash/tapr0997.html
I am merely a former cadet who, given the chance, would stand up on behalf of the government to testify to what I did see while staying at Ipperwash because this has gone on long enough and the public deserves the truth and Officer Deane deserves his job and his dignity back.

-Rick Glassford
Former L/Cpl
59th Essex and Kent Scottish
Highlander Legion Cadet Corps.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I am with the Canadian Army my friend, however, I have also taken many courses with regards to Native rights and what politicians do to ensure that Native people don't have the same privledges that they deserve.

So in the 1990s, Native nationalism hit a peak and being tired of negotiations and courts that got them no where they took over areas that are traditional aboriginal territory. When you are an oppressed people you fight back which ever way you can.

bumbo

Jan 5, 2006
Sarnia, ON
Agreed, my point is simply that the native peoples are making this entire argument out to be one that they were unarmed and that they were involved in a peaceful protest. I personally am an eye-witness to the contrary. I agree that as an opressed people they had every right to reaquire the land in which was rightfully thiers. I just feel as though this whole argument has been blown out of proportion in the sense that yes, they were entitled to the land, yes they were bounced around and a frusterated people. But if they were indeed armed and dangerous and unlawfully occupying space that was not yet rightfully thiers then the police had every right to do everything within thier power. The point I was trying to address is that if they are claiming that they were unarmed it is a blatent lie.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Good point. You state about them firing their rifles which does show that they were armed at a point in time.

However, on the night that this raid or whatever you would like to call it, they were unarmed and Dudley was killed.

Why was the raid at night? Now this is why, Mike Harris and other cronies of his and some upper level police officers should be charged with at least negligence because it is not just the cop who fired the shots, he was only following orders.

At night, dangers rose for both cops and the Natives, and I am sure at least someone in the OPP or the government knew something would go wrong, armed or not, and it did.