The Early Roman Republic ~Livy

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Just finished this one. A must read for anybody who. A, Loves Roman History. B, wants to study the history of republics. C, reads Machiavelli and should then read M's Discourses. D, wants a good education in the Classics

Livy wrote his books in a novel like form which is pretty easy and interesting to read. You will find almost everything in these readings, a lot of Drama, such as Brothers against brothers, Kings and there little foolings around with the local woman, to a rape and you can't forget the wars and then the drama's of the people who faught them and what happend.

I love this book. Plus I'm still finishing Discourses by Machiavelli, but reading the early history of Rome first was a big help.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Hmmmm........

Thx. I 'll check it out. I'm always on the look out for a new read!

:read:
:book:
:read2:

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
I studied Latin for five years and Ancient Greek for two. What I liked best was most of the reading was of original passages and texts.

After 5 year of Latin I had no idea how to write 'what's for supper' but had a good handle on something like:

' The general ordered his phalanx commanders to secure the ramparts and install forward trenches to deter any forward thrust through the defenses by the forces of Bodicea'.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Calberty said:
I studied Latin for five years and Ancient Greek for two. What I liked best was most of the reading was of original passages and texts.

After 5 year of Latin I had no idea how to write 'what's for supper' but had a good handle on something like:

' The general ordered his phalanx commanders to secure the ramparts and install forward trenches to deter any forward thrust through the defenses by the forces of Bodicea'.

I can't get enough of Roman History, Greek to a lesser but still interested in there texts.

Livy's actually a very good read for a late republican