What are you reading now??

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
That time again :p What are you reading right now?? Myself...well I am reading Huxley..the island...sent to me by a lil bird over across da pond.... :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: What are you reading

Maureen Dowd's "Bushworld". It's interesting to go back and read the old columns. When the Bushites say that everybody agreed with them, they are lying.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
peapod said:
Did anyone ever read huxley's door of preception heaven and hell...Oi! I found it quite beautiful 8) :wink:

Nope, can't say as I've read it.

On the non-electronic front though I am reading "Our Final Hour" by Sir Martin Rees... giving the hooman population a 50-50 chance of making it outta the 21st century.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yes, well he wrote the book on mescline..an experiment of sorts...

I took my pill at eleven. An hour and a half later, I was sitting in my study, looking intently at a small glass vase. The vase contained only three flowers-a full-blown Belie of Portugal rose, shell pink with a hint at every petal's base of a hotter, flamier hue; a large magenta and cream-colored carnation; and, pale purple at the end of its broken stalk, the bold heraldic blossom of an iris. Fortuitous and provisional, the little nosegay broke all the rules of traditional good taste.

I continued to look at the flowers, and in their living light I seemed to detect the qualitative equivalent of breathing -but of a breathing without returns to a starting point, with no recurrent ebbs but only a repeated flow from beauty to heightened beauty, from deeper to ever deeper meaning. Words like "grace" and "transfiguration" came to my mind, and this, of course, was what, among other things, they stood for.

Perhaps some mescline might be in order :lol: :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: What are you reading

Thompson's mescaline-induced story is actually a little easier to read. It likely never would have happened without Huxley though.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I am reading Nicci French's "The Red Room" - I buy a lot of bargain books, keep adding to them, and I never make any progress. I always have stacks of books. If I don't like one, I throw in in the charity box - and don't waste anymore time.

Percy

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I just opened a book called,"THERE IS A SEASON; Memoir in a garden by Patrick Lane. It is a crappy, windy, rainy, Sunday and reading seems about as good as anything else to do. I'll send you a report next week peapod, and thanks.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
#juan said:
I just opened a book called,"THERE IS A SEASON; Memoir in a garden by Patrick Lane. It is a crappy, windy, rainy, Sunday and reading seems about as good as anything else to do. I'll send you a report next week peapod, and thanks.

I read that in the summer, #juan (thanks pea :p ) - on the whole, it's a beautiful, uplifting read, but be prepared for a bumpy ride; there are some very dark, disturbing parts, too.

Well worth the effort, though. I look forward to seeing what you think.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Same down here juan, no wind tho. I would reallyyyyyyyyy! like to see his garden, its somewhere out in sanaich I have heard. Hey juan have you been to cougar anne's garden?? next time we meet up I will give you the book. If you going to tofino or up that way, you should check out cougar anne's. Its a all day trip tho. :wink:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I just bought this today,and can't wait to read it. The City Of Falling Angels by John Berendt[author of Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil]..a long time since the last book :(