Summer Reading

roots

Jul 4, 2005
what is everyone reading? i just finished 'Killing yourself to Live" -Chuck Klosterman.. i need a new book to start! :D

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I'm just starting the hobbit... and reading a few fluff books, easyreads, to give my brain a bit of a rest from school. Has anyone ever read Madeline L'Engle's Many waters ? Great Read no matter what your age

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I just finished reading the wild parrots of telegraph hill 8) 8) vey vey cool, I read it in a day, could not put it down, a love story with wings 8) now I gots to get back to the book bigh sent me. :p :wink:

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Sam Harris: The End of Faith - not what you'd call 'summer reading', but I'm reading it, and it's the summer. It's about the danger we face from irrational, blind faith, and mankind's bizarre willingness to discard reason and live according to untestable Iron Age myths. One for Vanni and ol' dawg, in particular, but recommended to anyone interested in the encroachment of organised religion into world politics. 8)

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
8O Oh, I get it. Well, I'm about to start "Witch Hunt; A History of Persecution" by Nigel Cawthorne, about the bestial torture and murder of tens of thousands of people between 1450 and 1750. :lol:

8O I've just realised, I don't seem to do 'light'. I've got a new translation of Don Quixote here. I reckon that would make a good summer read - I'm saving it until I go to Spain in October. 8)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hard-Luck Henry said:
I've got a new translation of Don Quixote here. I reckon that would make a good summer read

Edith Grossman's translation, by chance? That's the one I have, it gets amazing reviews for translation. I suspect it is a good translation, except that I got halfway through the book and still hated the damn story... I've never met a classic I haven't liked, but try as I will I can't get into Don Quixote. It is not a hard read by any stretch, especially this translation, but for whatever reason it isn't clicking with me.

Nevertheless, as Quixote is one of the all-time great classics, sometimes touted as the greatest novel ever written, I know that the one in the wrong is me. Then again, sometimes a book doesn't work at one point in a person's life but does work at another point, so I'm going to hang on to it and try reading it again in a few years.

ol' dawg

Electoral Member
Jun 25, 2005
standing by a hydrant
Hard-Luck Henry said:
Sam Harris: The End of Faith - not what you'd call 'summer reading', but I'm reading it, and it's the summer. It's about the danger we face from irrational, blind faith, and mankind's bizarre willingness to discard reason and live according to untestable Iron Age myths. One for Vanni and ol' dawg, in particular, but recommended to anyone interested in the encroachment of organised religion into world politics. 8)

Havin' a good chuckle here, Henry ... I read the first couple lines of your post, and thought ... there's one I could be interested in ... then you mention my name ... thanks ... I'll check it out

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Geez, I guess I'm an intellectual lightweight! The past week I've read Telempath - Spider Robinson, Stormy Weather - Carl Hiaasen, Roses are Red - James Patterson, a collection of lesbian erotica, Therapy - Jonathan Kellerman, Frankenstein - Deen Koontz and just started Wild Justice - Phillip Margolin. I read about a book a day when I'm not working and not sleeping. :)

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Re: RE: Summer Reading

Cosmo said:
I read about a book a day when I'm not working and not sleeping. :)

Oh, I would do that too if I didn't have work during the week. I can polish off 2, sometimes 3 books in a weekend though.

Usually I have at least 2-4 books on the go at once, all different genres, so that depending on my mood, I have a book to read.\

Currently on the go:

Neither here nor there - Bill Bryson
The Alibi - Sandra Brown
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
current reads:

"Therapy"...... by Jonathan Kellerman.

Trace ........ by Patricia Cornwell

Monday Mourning......by Kathy Reichs.

and not quite all at the same time. :wink:

(anyone notice a certain theme here??? :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I can't even put here what I read....yikes!

Is there a category fluffier then fluff?

The last "heavy' book I read was over 2 yrs ago. Called "a Very strange society" about south africa and apartheid.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Twila said:
I can't even put here what I read....yikes!

Is there a category fluffier then fluff?

The last "heavy' book I read was over 2 yrs ago. Called "a Very strange society" about south africa and apartheid.

Twila ... girl after my own heart! ;) I love mental junk food. If I'm going to read something educational I'll stick to tech manuals or learn Spanish. If I'm going to relax, gimme good guy/bad guy, happy ending. I prefer to skip the hearts and flowers ... prefer the scarey books. :)

Pea is a brainiac ... reads all these thinker fiction and non-fiction books. She keeps trying to expand my intellectual horizons but I keep reassuring her I am shallow.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004

manda said:
Diamond Sun said:
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

I adore that book! but it loses something in translation. I've read it about 30 times in french, but I lost my copy in one of my moves. The soundtrack song "castle on a cloud" is just hauting

Well, my french is VERY rusty, so I can't see me ever tackling it in French, but I'm enjoying it in English, it's just taking me a significantly longer time to finish than I thought.

I saw the musical production when I was about 15 and loved it. I actually play "Castlet on a cloud" on the piano, it's my favourite one to play for the same reason you state above.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Love ' castle on a cloud'. I just finished up My B.a, and one of my minors was French. All linguistics, me Major in English lit, Minors in French and spanish, all history and Lit for my upper level courses, s now I'm resting my brain, and reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King, interspersed with The Hobbit, and various smut books that my mom send me to read when I run out of my own other books and don't want to go through my textbooks again yet. For one of my courses, i actually had to write a paper on a Harlequin romance novel 8O , too funny :lol:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
manda said:
Love ' castle on a cloud'. I just finished up My B.a, and one of my minors was French. All linguistics, me Major in English lit, Minors in French and spanish, all history and Lit for my upper level courses, s now I'm resting my brain, and reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King, interspersed with The Hobbit, and various smut books that my mom send me to read when I run out of my own other books and don't want to go through my textbooks again yet. For one of my courses, i actually had to write a paper on a Harlequin romance novel 8O , too funny :lol:

Wow, I often had aspirations of doing an English Major. I took advanced English in my first year of college, a spanish class (taugh in spanish, which is interesting when you don't know spanish) and a French Reading class, but also took advanced Calculus. :) Somehow I ended up in Engineering. I was the only engineer in my spanish class though. :)

I love that you had to write a paper on a Harlequin romance. There is an art to those books. :)