War of the Worlds

mallen

Jul 5, 2005
Toronto
www.pearljam.com
And this has nothing to do with all the Tom Cruise hating lately.

Special Effects...Fun.

Story, weak, weak, weak.

I can't recall the exact details of the original story but this movie had me wanting to leave by midway point.

Spoiler, not much of one.

At one point, in the midst of chaotic crowd, there's only two people with guns...seemed so out of place.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
mallen said:
At one point, in the midst of chaotic crowd, there's only two people with guns...seemed so out of place.

:lol: In America??? That is out of place!

I'm curious though what is all the Tom Cruise hate hoopla about anyways?

mallen

Jul 5, 2005
Toronto
www.pearljam.com
Jo Canadian said:
mallen said:

:lol: In America??? That is out of place!

I'm curious though what is all the Tom Cruise hate hoopla about anyways?

I thought it was so out of place. :)

I believe it has something to do with his current declaration of love for Katie Holmes and the way he's been conducting interviews, nowhere near the same Tom Cruise everybody loves.

from cnn, one of a few controversial comments he's made recently.

Cruise told interviewer Matt Lauer: "Scientology is something that you don't understand. It's like you could be a Christian and be a Scientologist.

"It is a religion. Because it's dealing with the spirit. You as a spiritual being." When Lauer mentioned Cruise's earlier criticism of Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise told the "Today" show co-host he didn't know what he was talking about.

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise said.

The interview became more heated when Lauer, who said he knew people who had been helped by the attention-deficit disorder drug Ritalin, asked Cruise about the effects of the drug.

"Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib," Cruise responded. "You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done."

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Ahhhhh, Scientology. That explains alot. I had a brief encounter with that...sect?

One day while starving for work and looking for a job in Halifax, there was in the job section that I applied to that ended up being a recruitment gimmik for scientology. I took their silly IQ test. I sat through the entire "introductory" video I was required to watch.

Needless to say that anyone who falls for that claptrap should get checked to see if there is any brain tissue missing. -Really man, Scientology is a cult. No more no less. What a bunch of bullcrap.

And anyways, they Reeeeeeally need to make a new intro video, it's so tacky I don't understand how anyone cannot see how cheezy it is. Maybe that's why they do the IQ test then. After you do it you'll probably be told that your IQ is around the 10% range which makes you more or less uniqe from the masses, then they throw you in front of a Cheap video which is ment to brainwash you.

Goddammit Nothing's Ever easy.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I just rented this one. Pretty crappy and crappy effects. I guess it was a straight to video movie. I don't know why they made it since the Tom Cruise version is in theatres now and by watching trailers at the apple website it looks much better than this "B" version that is in video stores now. Hell the original was way better than this one.

skittles

Jul 15, 2005
I didnt really like War of the Worlds. . .The special effects were pretty cool. I liked the book much better.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I haven't read the book (it's on my list now though), but I was sadly disappointed by this movie.

It started out with such promise. Good action, good character development, great acting by little Dakota Fanning, fabulous special effects, and then somewhere between the introduction of Tim Robbins's creepy character and the huge let down of an ending, the movie just fell apart. The ending itself made the movie completely pointless, and left me wondering whether the $8 entrance fee could be refunded, and whether my $5 popcorn would be coming back to haunt me.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I acyually splurged and went to the theatre and saw this. It was ok but the ending was pretty lame.

I was surprised the cost to the movie is 7.99 plus gst so not bad. (Last time I went 4 years ago it was like 13 + tax) I wonder when they lowered admission? But yet still $10.79 +gst for a coke and popcorn. Insane.

Anyways since I discovered the Odeon lowered their prices I went and saw the Fantastic 4 minutes after War of Worlds ended and I thought F4 was pretty good. Better than "War of the Worlds" I was surprised. Of course there will be a few sequels.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: War of the Worlds

no1important said:
But yet still $10.79 +gst for a coke and popcorn. Insane.

You said it. Prices are ridiculous. I guess that's where the extra revenue comes in.

The worst I've seen was the theatre in West Edmonton Mall. The food prices there were...Unethical is the best word I can think of. Would YOU pay $7.50 for one Hot Dog???

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Re: RE: War of the Worlds

no1important said:
I was surprised the cost to the movie is 7.99 plus gst so not bad. (Last time I went 4 years ago it was like 13 + tax) I wonder when they lowered admission? But yet still $10.79 +gst for a coke and popcorn. Insane.

I know that here they did it because they've just made all their prices all the same. Kids, adults, seniors, students, tuesdays, matiness, all $7.95. It's been years since I got to go to a movie for $8, so it's a treat. I hope they stick with it!! (I think their plan was to try to spread out attendance instead of having everyone coming on Tuesday nights, and to matinees)

Oh, and as for the $8 hot dog at West Edmonton Mall, you know, they have to pay for that Dragon SOMEHOW!! :D