Play It Loud

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What songs do you play loud enough enough to frighten the neighbours? Why? No saying that it's because you like the song either...extreme volume requires an emotional attachment beyond the song itself.

I've got Ten Years After I'm Goin' Home turned up loud enough that the speakers keep falling off the filing cabinet. They send up little puffs of cigarette ash when they hit the garbage can. It's pretty cool.

The reason for this is, of course, that I almost crashed a car to this song. It was a race and it came down to whoever went off the end of the road and rocketed through the construction won. I won. Now everytime I hear the song, it has to be loud enough to drown out the noise that a 351 Cleveland with open headers makes when it's running full out.

Your turn.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Gouge Away by the Pixies. This was THE song for a long time. When I got my first car I played it over and over again. When I formed my fist band I taught them how to play this song. Anyone can sing it. It's just a good song.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
There's an old Steppenwolf song that does the same thing to me that the Hoobastank song does,called "Tenderness".Guess I'm just an old softie on the inside

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Another song is Do You Realise? by The Flaming Lips. I was driving up to pacific rim when I heard the line in the song,"do you realise, that everyone you know, someday, will die" and I thought, my God, thats true! It's also a realy great song. But I remember that drive with my friends through the mountains to the coast. It was the first time I saw the Pacific Ocean in all it's glory. I swam in it even though everyone else there was wearing a wet suit (because of how cold it is). But I'm from Ottawa, I can handle the cold.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Gonzo has got it.

I always crank Luther Wright and the Wrongs' Guitar Pickin' Martyrs up really loud. The first time I heard it was when they were still touring on the strength of their bluegrass remake of the Wall.

A friend needed his truck fixed in short order and I'd gotten myself elected for the job. I worked on the truck until the wee hours, then we drove the truck owners home. While we were doing that the alternator on the little blue car went again.

In the morning I woke up and finished fixing the friend's truck. Then I went and got an alternator for the little blue car, had a mid-range battle with Canadian Tire over something or other, and then went home to take a nap.

We'd left the windows and blinds open though, and the house was a sweltering heat-farm as a result. I'd only gotten a couple hours sleep the night before though, so I kind of laid there with my eyes closed and sweated.

In payment for the truck-work we'd gotten a couple of tickets to see Luther at the West End Cultural Centre. I dragged my ass out of bed and went down to see them. I thought I was going to die. Then they played Guitar Pickin' Martyrs. I was suddenly human again...lack of sleep and brutal vehicular coincidence forgotten.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Rev will groan (he hates them), but BTO and Takin' Care of Business.

Probably because I can identify so well with the line "I love to work at nothin' all day!" ;)

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I would say most musicians hate the one song that makes them big, because everyone wants to hear that one and not the other stuff they've written.
However, Not Fragile is the BTO song for me. It was that song that got me listening to 70's music. I was about 8. After Not Fragile, I went through the Guess Who, Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles of course; all these records my Mom had. That made me want to learn guitar.
BTW Rev, your never too old to like new music. The Pixies are now considered classic. Makes me feel old.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
There are so many. My tastes tend to differ from most of what I've seen here. Never liked BTO, especially Taking Care of Business.

When I want a song cranked way up it's because the music is powerful, and when it's loud it envelopes you and you almost become a part of it.

A few favourites for high volume:
Burning Bridges by The Mike Curb Congregation
The Way Old Friends Do by Abba
Song for Liberty (from Nabucco) by Verdi
Closing Time by Leonard Cohen
Sweet Surrender by Nana Mouskouri (written by John Denver)

A group my wife recently told me about is Il Divo. Now THAT is music. I'll listen to their music cranked really loud for the reason stated above. These guys are incredible, I get goose bumps. Check their website, www.ildivo.com. They'll be on Leno on the 12th.