What book are you reading now

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
We do this every so often....

Right now I am reading the curious incident of the dog in the night time.
Its a inventive little book from the back cover:

Christopher John Francis boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched and he detests the color yellow.
This improbable story of christopher's quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighbourhood dog makes for one the most captivating, unusual, novel.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I always have about three books on the go. "Life Of Pi" which is a winner of the Man Booker Prize by Yann Martel , "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" which is laugh out loud funny and a little disturbing by Al Franken, and, just to see what the hype is about, "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Like Gonzo, I generally have more than one book on the go; I pick them up/put them down according to mood. Right now they are:
"If Not Now, When", by Primo Levi (A story about Russian and Polish Jews fighting back during the holacaust)
"In the footsteps of Alexander the Great", by Michael Wood (self explanatory)
"Beowulf", by some long dead Anglo-Saxons.

Also like Gonzo, I read "the DaVinci Code" 'just to see what the hype was about'. Let's just say I'm still none the wiser, having wasted several precious hours of my life, hours which I can never get back, Brown, you complete and utter f*cking moron!!!! ...aahhh, breath out, and relax ...

Girl82

Feb 23, 2005
Vancouver Island
Haha, I usually have a few books on the go too, but I find if I do that I usually don't finish a few of them. So now I'm trying to focus on just one at a time, plus I'm too busy with school to read more than one! Text books may count as a few books ;)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: What book are you rea

Ah, text books. My favourite is from 1942. It's called "Maintenance and Repair of Modern Farm Equipment and Small Engines."

It's come in oddly useful over the years.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Just finished Noir by K.W.Jeter. Imagine a future where thoise who download music,etc off the Web are hunted down,slain and part of their brain is collected and given back to the copywright holder,and a little something called a Full Prince Charles[had to be read to be believed!]

Girl82

Feb 23, 2005
Vancouver Island
Re: RE: What book are you rea

Reverend Blair said:
Ah, text books. My favourite is from 1942. It's called "Maintenance and Repair of Modern Farm Equipment and Small Engines."

It's come in oddly useful over the years.

Knowledge of engines and such comes in very handy!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Especially the stuff that was modern in 1942. When you read the book you begin to wonder how any farmer from that era managed to hang on to any of their fingers and toes.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Cube Route - Peirs Anthony

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is being made into a movie. Can you believe that? God, I hope it's good.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Also like Gonzo, I read "the DaVinci Code" 'just to see what the hype was about'. Let's just say I'm still none the wiser, having wasted several precious hours of my life, hours which I can never get back, Brown, you complete and utter f*cking moron!!!! ...aahhh, breath out, and relax ...

hey henry - my husband is reading the davinci code and says it's not a great read. i haven't read it yet, but he isn't impressed. he had no idea it was a big hit, etc., i had bought it for him at christmas.

i think he would probably agree with you though! 8O

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well my favorite book is still thomas wolfe "of time and the river" in fact I have all his books, I read them over and over again :p and ehm...I love Moby Dick...

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hahahahahha...well should have seen him yesterday...he and ma were over visiting and I put on that bullet train from the lonely planet CD... 8O 8O man we started dancing around the room.....my dads underwear was showing above his jeans(I cannot believe he still wears them 8O ) and he was dancing around and looked like one of them rapsa gangsta 8O 8O 8O ...hes got some good moves tho :p

PS...I will convey your message to him....

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
galianomama said:

hey henry - my husband is reading the davinci code and says it's not a great read. i haven't read it yet, but he isn't impressed. he had no idea it was a big hit, etc., i had bought it for him at christmas.

i think he would probably agree with you though! 8O

In my view Brown didn't so much "write" the book as "google" it - he seems to have cobbled together a page or so of other people's potentially interesting ideas, and then concocted a watery thin plot to bulk them out into a whole book. But don't let me put you off.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
my dads underwear was showing above his jeans(I cannot believe he still wears them

ummm pea, i think that's a little too much info for this forum. i know none of you wear underwear, but do you have to tell the world? :twisted:

mind you, i am sure if we surveyed the westcoast population, about 90% go gonzo all year round. 8O