Why I dont go to the movies as much

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I used to love to go to the movies. But now there are advertisements projected onto the screen, then 10 minutes of comercials followed only then by previews, and finaly the movie. You get a magazine to watch but now the lights are so low while the ads are being projected that you cant even read the magazine. Am I alone in this annoyance?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Why I dont go to the

I pretty much quit going to the movies when we got a VCR. I can't even remember how long ago that was, but it was before I moved to Winnipeg. Now we've got the DVD player and a large TV all hooked up to the stereo.

We still go once in a while if there's something that needs the really big screen, but with each new piece of technology we go less and less.

The biggest factor is really comfort. At home we can watch a movie uninterrupted, I can smoke or have a beer. There's nobody sitting behind us yapping, no cell phones ringing, nobody crawling over you so they can take a leak. Generally speaking the dogs behave better than most people in a movie theatre.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I kind of like the few ads I've seen at the theatre. They tend to be pretty well done. It'd be better if they ran cartoons like they did when I was a wee lad, but what the heck? I like big shiny things as much as the average ape.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Reverend Blair

The last time I went to see a movie was in 1981 or so. I stood in line for 3 hours to get in and see Quest For Fire.

The only reason I stayed in line was because I was with friends, or I would of sauntered off long before that.
I hate line-ups more than I hate bagging my own groceries.

I was never a big movie buff anyways. Music was my trip.

The first time I ever thought I was ripped off by going to a show was when I was about 16 or so.
I saw a sign that said "Von Ryan Sex Press"

I got inside only to find out it had nothing to do with sex.

It was called "Von Ryan's Express" starring Frank Sinatra.

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I remember when Quest for Fire came out. I took one of the Colleens, even though she wanted to see some other movie. She whined though the whole thing.

I sure am glad I grew out of that "She has nice boobies" thing. I also feel incredibly sorry for the poor bastard who ended up attached to that particular Colleen.

It occurs to me that my dislike of movie theatres may be a subconscious thing having to do with teenaged girls named Colleen, come to think of it. Of course so does my appreciation of drive-ins, so I guess it all evens out.

Pycrete

Jan 4, 2005
Ontario, Canada
yikes... Quest for fire now that brings back memories. Could never relate to those guys though.... just too ugly i guess. Good Neanderthal books were written by Robert J. Sawyer... ok, well... ok Neanderthal books.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
"Pycrete" that is a unusual name, is that in as churchills secret weapon....sawdust and ice...I read a story on pycrete when I was doing genealogy....interesting idea.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If you enjoy old movies,and want to save money,I suggest you can do what I did: 50 classic Horror Films on DVD and 50 Classic Action Films on DVD[Zellers-approx.45 bucks each]..Walmart has them,too,but my pride won't allow me to shop at that anti-union outfit!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I went to a movie here at Capital 6 in the afternoon and there were no commercials! Just some previews and then the move. It was the Live Aquatic (funny movie actually).

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I went to a movie here at Capital 6 in the afternoon and there were no commercials! Just some previews and then the move. It was the Live Aquatic (funny movie actually).

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
I'd agree that some movies you have got to see on the big screen. Besides, here we "only" get to see previews, which I don't mind, and I have never had bad neighbours, so to say, in a theatre. No noise making, talking, cell phone ringing, none of that. Really.

That said, nothing beats watching a movie from my own couch in my PJs with a glass of wine. :wink:

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
I'd agree that some movies you have got to see on the big screen. Besides, here we "only" get to see previews, which I don't mind, and I have never had bad neighbours, so to say, in a theatre. No noise making, talking, cell phone ringing, none of that. Really.

That said, nothing beats watching a movie from my own couch in my PJs with a glass of wine. :wink:

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I dont go as its too expensive. 13.50 each to get in then overpriced popcorn and pop so i dont go as I can buy the DVD for that price and watch it at my leisure and you get all the extras. I have a 6.1 home stereo so the theatre has lost my business for ever.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I dont go as its too expensive. 13.50 each to get in then overpriced popcorn and pop so i dont go as I can buy the DVD for that price and watch it at my leisure and you get all the extras. I have a 6.1 home stereo so the theatre has lost my business for ever.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Gonzo, "It was the Live Aquatic (funny movie actually)" Galaniomama and I saw that movie a few weeks ago, we also thought it was funny to, alot of people don't seem to feel the same way tho, I thought bill murray was great.