Canadian Bands

Fate

Dec 15, 2004
Montreal
Hey all. Second thread here.

I got lots of favourites when it comes to Canadian music and I know I'm also a biggie fan of The Barenaked Ladies, The Trag. Hip and even some of the French stuff is good. Do you have a favourite Canadian band? Please post the band you love most that is CANADIAN.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
A lot of people don't even know what Canadian music is these days. To be truthful, I think Brian Adams and Alanis Morissette destroyed our reputation! For that, we are truly sorry! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I listen to all types of music, just not rap and hip hop (as I call it) rubbish.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Matthew Good (best band in the world! lol)

I don't mind the older stuff from Our Lady Peace.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Canadian Bands

sj007 said:
{[(off topic)]} andem wants us labeling our off topic posts

You've got the wrong idea sj007. An example would be:

I like Matthew Good, too Twili

Offtopic: SJ007: Interesting avatar.

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia

Andem said:
A lot of people don't even know what Canadian music is these days. To be truthful, I think Brian Adams and Alanis Morissette destroyed our reputation! For that, we are truly sorry! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I listen to all types of music, just not rap and hip hop (as I call it) rubbish.

Hmm.. here in Europe, Canadian music is not THAT popular, even though I'm sure we know a lot of Canadian Music even if we don't know that it is Canadian music... weird, eh?
[Off-Topic]: I'd appreciate another word for know to make it clear as we have 'kennen' (be acquainted with) and 'wissen' (have knowledge of).
What I wanted to say is:
"Ich schätze, wir kennen kanadische Musik, auch wenn wir nicht wissen, daß es kanadische Musik ist." *lol*

I for myself like "Paul Gross and David Keeley" who are not popular at all here in Germany. Often, people know Paul Gross when you mention 'Due South' but they don't know he's also a singer.
You can't imagine how difficult it was to get their album "Two Houses" and I'm still looking for how to get their 2nd one. I couldn't find it here so far, not even on German amazon.

The Northern Pikes sang the theme song of Due South, that's why I know about that band, but this theme song is the only one of them that I know - it's impossible to find anything by them.

I guess I should go to Canada and get some of your stuff *hehe*

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Perfectly understandable to me that our music isn't all that popular overseas.Counries tend to put their locaL artists on their stations.Rammstein is the only German band I know of.

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia

missile said:
Perfectly understandable to me that our music isn't all that popular overseas.Counries tend to put their locaL artists on their stations.Rammstein is the only German band I know of.

No, actually Germany (and most European countries) are very interested in the music of other countries, but unfortunately only American bands become very popular here usually while it's much harder for bands and singers of other countries.

Unlike other countries, Germany doesn't have a "Must" of songs that need to be played in German whereas in France, around 50% (or whatever) of the songs played on the radio have to be in French language. Most songs played in Germany are English.

German singers and bands though only have international success when they do not sing in German (Rammstein is an exception and I really wonder why such a crappy band is so popular overseas *uhh*).

Missile I'm pretty sure you've at least heard of
Nena, Modern Talking or The Scorpions, haven't you? ;-)

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I love The Arrogant Worms for Canadian Bands. They are always entertaining to see live!

Other singers I adore, who are smaller and not well known are Bruce Guthro, Martina Sorbara, Danny Michel. All folky type singers with great songs, and great talent.

(off topic: I have to now change my avatar since I'm no longer the only eyeball)

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Sure ,I know the Scorpions[good stuff!]. Nena/ 99 Luftballoons? The gal with the hairy pits? As to why I might like Rammstein-they remind me of DEVO.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Billy Talent andGorgeous Sam..eh.. Sam Roberts are Canadian. I don't know about Alexisonfire though