Leonard Cohen

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
good one!!!

well, even though he may appear to be rather pessimistic, his poetry is definitely fine.

we were talking on another thread about music and how it effects your mind....well, i would have to say that leonard's music is incredible for poetry to music. it is timeless. there is something about that deep, throaty voice of his that just makes your skin dance!!!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I love Leonard Cohen's music. My first exposure to it was around 1968 when a friend of mine had a three week party while his parents were away. Three weeks, twenty-four hours a day, capping mescaline, listening to music, and flying high. You could stop by anytime of day or night nd the party would be in full swing. His road was under construction at the time, so one night we brought in all the construction street signs, the ones that blink (looking back, I have to wonder what happened to the poor saps who traveled the resulting unmarked, torn up road). They all blinked at different times, of course, and may I just say this had a powerful effect on those who were tripping.

Anyway, someone put on a Leonard Cohen record, and I was hooked from the start. I played that record all night, played So Long Marianne hundreds of times, for I was in an obsessive, stoned frame of mind. Nobody minded, since they were all pretty much in the same situation. Anyway, he let me have that record, and I still have it today.

Your letters say that you are beside me now
Then why do I feel alone?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
So true haggis, and well put. Leonard cohens work will always be around. Here is one of my favorites.

As the Mist Leaves No Scar
By: Leonard Cohen

As the mist leaves no scar
On the dark green hill,
So my body leaves no scar
On you, nor ever will.

When wind and hawk encounter
What remains to keep?
So you and I encounter
Then turn, then fall to sleep.

As many nights endure
Without a moon or star,
So will we endure
When one is gone and far.

So uh..let here about your garden haggis, I am pretty sure you have one. Do you believe in earth dancing sister?

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hi jillvyn - no i have never read any of his books....are they good? i

haggis - your comments were great! isn't neat how we all come around to find about this saint. mind you, i had a very sheltered life, even though i thought i was tip toeing around neat stuff, it was never as exciting as anyone elses. good story there girl.

i had listened to leonard cohen on and off for years....then when i was on my own after my first marriage dissolved, my now husband (!) got me his cd - the future - i was in love all over again. i think i wore the first cd out. anyhow, that did it for me. then i had to raid his stash and the rest is history!!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
galianomama said:
mind you, i had a very sheltered life, even though i thought i was tip toeing around neat stuff, it was never as exciting as anyone elses. good story there girl.

We all lived sheltered lives too. We played at the game, but always went home to our parents and happy homes each night. We lived in safe, stodgy old West Van where everybody knew everybody else (this tended to be a problem when hitchhiking, which was strictly forbidden, and when skipping out).

Skipping out, oh yes. Once, after three straight weeks of skipping out (not bad, eh) I was waiting for my friends at Ambleside Beach. I saw a shadow. I turned, with a big smile... only to see my father, who was quite unpleasant about the whole thing. Aiiiieeee! I was the Queen of the Forged Parental Note. Oh boy was I ever good.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Ah, skipping out. In the last semester of grade 10 my absences (59) were higher than my science mark (51) for that class. It was right after lunch you see, and I had a spare in the last class of the day and I wasn't really that interested in whether I was supposed to measure at the top or bottom of the miniscus anyway, and I'd discovered that I could make money shooting pool.

I actually burned my report card so that my parents wouldn't see it. Of course they found out on parent-teacher night, or maybe through a phone call. I got every crappy chore there was that summer.

I play Leonard Cohen at work on days when I want to piss off the camera monkeys...him and Tom Waits. Cohen and Waits are in the "you either get it or you don't" category, and the camera moneys don't get it. They whine like small children, never once considering that most days I have to listen to a mixture of opera, 50's pop, and electronica.

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
galianomama said:
Hi jillvyn - no i have never read any of his books....are they good?

His books are amazing, and are of two completely different styles. For the more mainstream at heart, The Favourite Game is the one for you. The adventurous types out there should give Beautiful Losers a try. Here's a sample from the latter mentioned book:

"What is a saint? A saint is someone who has achieved a remote human possibility. It is impossible to say what that possibility is. I think it has something to do with the energy of love. Contact with this energy results in the exercise of a kind of balance in the chaos of existence. A saint does not dissolve the chaos; if he did the world would have changed long ago. I do not think that a saint dissolves the chaos even for himself, for there is something arrogant and warlike in the notion of a man setting the universe in order. It is a kind of balance that is his glory. He rides the drifts like an escaped ski. His course is the caress of the hill. His track is a drawing of the snow in a moment of its particular arrangement with wind and rock. Something in him so loves the world that he gives himself to the laws of gravity and chance. Far from flying with the angels, he traces with the fidelity of a seismograph needle the state of the solid bloody landscape. His house is dangerous and finite, but he is at home in the world. He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Ah Leonard.

I'm still convinced I'll someday be his wife :p

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
peapod said:
Dam rev, you got good taste in music..I bet you can earth dance to 8) Tom waits....rain dog 8) right after the revolution starts here :lol:

I love Tom Waits. I think my favourite one is The Piano Has Been Drinking... not sure if that's the right title...

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
:cool: You burned your report card? That is so hilarious!

As for the skipping out, whoa, you definitely beat me hands down. We once skipped out of Hillside and attended classes at West Van High just to be funny. Amazing what teenagers think is funny, huh.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That is the correct name, Jillyvn. A fantastic song. My present favourite is Murder in the Red from Bone Machine, but that will likely change.

I did burn my report card, Haggis. The most embarrassing part is that I thought it might work. Drugs and alcohol may have involved. ;-)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Alright Kirk, maybe this will make you laugh,
Sabatoge! Espionage! unauthorized entry!
how are those for starters!
And I can think of lots more, if you don't start talking,

Alright! colonel,
the truth is I am a little green man
from Apha-centuria,
beautiful place, you otta see it 8)
I am going to lock you up for 200 years.
kinda drip drip flute music..........
that otta be about right :p :p :p :p :p

Gotta go and hear what the farmer has to say now :D

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
you know, i never had that many opportunities to skip because i had to take a school bus too and from school. it kinda cramped my style. but my kids have made up for it big time!!! all three of them have been incredible for the amount of skipping they do. not that i really care. i figure that eventually (!) they will see the light, if not, they will have to repeat the class. what fools we are when we are young - sometimes. goofy stuff, we always have a good laugh together, but i never tell them not to skip. just to figure it out!! if they can do the 'busy work' that schools place on kids without being there - well more power to them!!!

Sabine

Oct 1, 2004
Montréal
Re: RE: Leonard Cohen

Jillyvn said:
I am a huge HUGE huge Leonard fan, so I was very excited to see this thread.

Have any of you read his books?

Hello Jillyvn, I am a HUGE fan of Leaonard Cohen 8) to :D. Yes I have read some of his books. Beautiful Losers, The Favourite Game, Stranger Music, and some parts of The Spice Box of Earth and The Energy of slaves, so far. I have to read them some day.

Do you have a favorite song (and/or songS)?

and Hello everybody, :)

what about you?

I had a good laugh with your story Haggis McBagpipe :lol:

Peobod, I enjoyed reread "As the Mist Leaves No Scar". Very beautiful indeed.

You must know about Dear Heather, the album to come on October 26.

Au revoir take care,

:D [/i]

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Re: RE: Leonard Cohen

Sabine said:
Jillyvn said:
I am a huge HUGE huge Leonard fan, so I was very excited to see this thread.

Have any of you read his books?

Hello Jillyvn, I am a HUGE fan of Leaonard Cohen 8) to :D. Yes I have read some of his books. Beautiful Losers, The Favourite Game, Stranger Music, and some parts of The Spice Box of Earth and The Energy of slaves, so far. I have to read them some day.

Do you have a favorite song (and/or songS)?
You must know about Dear Heather, the album to come on October 26.

Au revoir take care,

:D [/i]

Hello Sabine, and welcome to the boards!

It's been a while since I visited the Leonard Cohen Files, and I HAD NO IDEA he was releasing a new album. I am so very excited, and I thank you for letting me know. Here's the official site: www.dearheather.com

I'm an incredible LC dork. I collect his books, fiction and poetry, and own them all with the exception of the one that combines paintings and words from a poem I can't remember the title of right now (brain fart).

My favourite songs (hard to pick one)

Dance Me to the End of Love (I'm tempted to get married if only to have this as my wedding song).
Take this Waltz
I'm Your Man

I cannot pick a favourite poem, too difficult.

My favourite books is, hands down, The Favourite Game. I take it with me whenever I travel and I've read it in almost every country I've visited. It just never gets old.