How does music effect your mind

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Sure, I give it another try, finding a good topic :p Okay we were discussing this very topic tonight at starbucks (best coffee place in the world 8) ). music seems to stimuate a part of your brain that you don't use all the time, or as someone pointed out we idenifty with the artists lyrics, we find comfort in them. What do you think? I can relate to the idenity part. Like take for example the leningard cowboys, they do a song that I can really relate to. Everyone that has been here for awhile got sick and tired of my monty python lumberjack song. Hey guess what!! check out this song by the lennigard cowboys 8)

Lady lumberjack
I'm working in the forest putting in long days
Swinging with my ax cutting down the trees
They say that I'm a goddess knocking out the boys
Well I don't know maybe it is so

Many men have I sent away
Sometimes things could be easier with someone
But I'm still waiting for Mr. Right to come

Timber says the lady in there somewhere
Deep in the northern Taiga
Singing la, la! Feeling da, da
See her swinging her ax around
She's a hard working Lumber-jack lady

I'm working in the forest putting in long days
Swinging with my ax cutting down the trees
They say that I'm a goddess knocking out the boys
Well I don't know maybe it is so

Many men have I sent away
Sometimes things could be easier with someone
But I'm still waiting for Mr. Right to come

Timber says the lady in there somewhere
Deep in the northern Taiga
Singing la, la! Feeling da, da
See her swinging her ax around
She's a hard working Lumber-jack lady

Wow I have two lumberjack songs I can call upon now :p

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: How does music effect

I haven't thought of the Leningrad Cowboys for years, Peapod. Now I'm wondering if the documentary (mocumentary?) about them will ever be on again.

The question was about how music affects our minds though. I have no real evidence, but I think that it very much permeates the way we think about things. i'm not sure if it's the culture or the music, or which defines which, but there is a definite effect.

Example: American working-class people who listen to country music tend vote Republican. American upper-class white college students who listen to rap tend to vote Democrat.

These people are voting against their personal best interests.

In my own personal case, I find there is music I listen to when I'm writing, music I'm listening to when I'm avoiding writing (the B-52's are telling me about a love shack right now for instance), and music for when I'm working.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The leningard Cowboys go America. Very funny it was to. Another one I would like to see but have not is Grand thef Parson,
based on the real life incident of gram parsons body, stolen by his manager, because he wanted to bury him under a Josha tree.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Rev you said you were going to bed. Don't you ever go to sleep.
I was just dozing off, when I thought of something. You can rent grand theft parsons at blockbuster. Now back to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: How does music effect

Reverend Blair said:
I haven't thought of the Leningrad Cowboys for years

American working-class people who listen to country music tend vote Republican. American upper-class white college students who listen to rap tend to vote Democrat.

These people are voting against their personal best interests.

Man, I loved that movie about the Leningrad Cowboys.

Damn good point you made about people voting against their personal best interest, Rev. Blue collar vote Republican everytime, and god knows why. In Canada, BCites amaze me, for they despise the conservative policies of Campbell, yet they vote ultra-conservative - Alliance - federally. Why? Only the Shadow knows.

I listen to music for a lot of reasons, one of which is to encourage a feeling, ie if I'm just about in a good mood I will enhance it with happy music, if I'm slipping into a nostalgic mood I'll enhance it with some sad stuff. Also, I'll erase a bad mood with it. On the road, there's the Ramones 'I Wanna Be Sedated', specifically designed, I think, to get me from Point A to Point B in the quickest possible time. :cool:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Music has strange effects on the mind and the body..Here is what happened to me last night 8)

As great as fishing is, it cannot hold a candle to the garden and the world in the garden. Only another gardener can know of what I speak. I am so into the world of my garden, well I better not get to carried away here. It your own personal canvas, its where you can really use your brain artistically, its also a place where you gain a quest for knowledge. I must stop! anyway to my story...
I am in my garden, I am digging holes to put tulips into. I am
lucky because my garden is surrounded by forest, just enough so that I don't see neighbours. It is also quiet. Well back to the hole, there is a robin not far away digging up worms, the squrriel was also around, I could see him where I left a bunch of peanuts for him,
I got some really tall grasses, grown because of their russle. You would be surprised at the different russles grasses can have. Anyway I have one that knows how to russle. I love it! So ok so far we have the robin eating the worm, the squrriel
eating his peanuts, and the grass that can really russle. Also between two clumps of dahlias is a huge spider web, at certain angles you can see it vibrating. So there is basicly the picture. Also there is also a light breeze so the leaves in the trees make fluttering sounds.

Ok, so when in the garden I always have my music box. Well I am wearing out lonely planet cd right now. Any way there is some music on their called shinkansen, do not listen to that piece
of music, no matter where you are you will start dancing! thank god it is short. Its very strange music mostly just a beat, but there is something
that awakens the primordial ooze when it starts playing for me. I am back on the plains with my ancestors mama! I am boogieing in my garden let me tell ya...

than it I see the big picture! the robin darting for the worm, the squrriel is watching, but he is turning a peanut, the grass is really russling, the leaves are fluttering, the spider web is still vibarating, and I am boogieing we are all moving in sync to the music all of us together, the darting robin, the nibbling squrriel, the russling grass, the waving leaves, and of course me and the spider web. Yep, we are all moving and darting and swaying, waving to the same beat of the music...along comes a friend, she don't miss a beat, jumps right in she cannot help it! the music as the same
effect on her. She is just a boogieing around me.

We go into a fevered pitch...back to prehistoric times, we completely loose it!! soon we will want to hunt! All this and not a hint of peyote any where.

Ah...well it was fun, I think everbody had a good time...Alrighty than I am
off to take my medication....The end!

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
pea, that's the wonder of a garden. either you get it or you don't. personally, i get it. i love my garden for the same type of 'music' it emits.

for 'indoor' music, i love to listen to music when i am being creative and trying to quilt, or when i am trying to go to sleep. maybe it is that passiveness that we strive for, and therefore feel we need soothing music. it is probably just the world today. 'stop the world i wanna get off'. harry manx works well for me!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I bow to you fellow gardener! You should have been there for the boogie 8) very primial my friend...on second thought maybe not, you would have taken your cloths off :lol: getting in there communicating with your ancestors of the plains....which reminds me get on over and collect some dahila tublers, I will play the music for you and we can boogie in the dirt 8) How is the rowing going? Can you have tunes? makes you row faster :)

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
rowing is amazing. once all the components are in order, like anything in life, it becomes amazingly simple. or simplified. the four people work as one, moving this boat so quickly through the water it feels as if it is flying above the water. a very transendental method of movement. instant karma i tell ya! :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Ya...but can you boogie with your ancestors 8) the rhythm is the same whizzing across the water... garden boogie is a little more intense...but if you had something good blasting in your ears whizzing across the water you might be able to contact your primordial ooze 8) One with the current :D

Angus, the old jester has returned from kanas 8) his daughter lives there, he says he hated it there, everyone was a republican. Anyway he tells me this....Roddy Doyle is going to be in Victoria at a book store, I am taking my copy of a star called henry down for him to sign. Also I will go with angus, I am curious :roll: I think roddy doyle based his character henry on angus. When he tells me his stories, there is something in that grin that tells me he is telling the truth 8O Wanna Come?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I think our brains like to see symmetry. Visually , this is why gardening is a high for you. You get to shape and mold your garden into something pleasing to you.

I think it is the same with music. The rhythms found in music are an aural pattern. Our minds sychronize music to our own bodies beat. This might be why our taste in music changes as we age. Our body beat changes, so we tend to gravitate towards music, we know, but also to our own changing metabolism. This to is just a theory.

Currently, I'm big on Hayseed Dixie . ( Rev, a copy coming at Xmas.) It combines the new and the old. Its a premise band. The story goes... A stranger was travelling through the Appalachians, when his muscle car crashed and he was killed. Under the backe seat of the car the complete of AC/DC records were found by the band under the back seat. They only had a 78 player to listen to them. As a tribute to the stranger the band set about learnign the music.Rock meets Blue Grass.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
uh? 8O ....that was a beautiful post 8) I can see why you have the "zen" in your name :) Now could anybody not check out that band with that history 8)

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I love listening to music, all kinds. I am an awful lot like Haggis, if I'm blue I'll listen to something upbeat, if I'm in a good mood I'll listen to dancing tunes, etc.

I'll have to watch what I listen to next time an election comes up.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hayseed Dixie

hey zenfisher - tell us more about this band. are they young, old, give us details. yes, i think you are quite right when you talk about the older you get the rhythms we incorporate. i know i feel that way about music now much more when i was younger. although, this is the equinox we are coming into. could there be a similarity between the two? man/music/seasons/changes. sounds like an interesting theory.

earthdance - that just about sums it up for me. a three day festival of love and dance, dance, dance. last weekend of course. but still - i can dream, and save my pennies for next years concert.

here's the site: http://www.earthdance.org/sf/

i love the logo at the beginning: 'give peace a dance'. ya gotta love it!!!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:lol: :lol: Earth dancing mama 8) Get this...you know the foxglove, the flower, well if you look at the tubular blooms, you see freckles or what looks like freckles. Actually the little freckles look like a little brick walkway, and its suppose to as this is done just for the bee, a path for him to follow to the necter and get some pollen on his back. But the crafty foxglove makes a brightly colored walk for him to follow. Here comes the bee, they do not fly that well or land for that matter, they titter back and forth when coming in for a landing :) but sure enough every time they follow that path 8) watch all this with yo yo ma playing, and you have yourself a great nature opera :lol:

Growth and decay with music 8) the life of the garden, if one seeks depth in beauty, you might one day arrive at "shibui" japanese for "of itself alone".....oh ya..whizzing across water, or sitting in a profound quiet garden...listening to the band "Deep Forest" will dissolve and melt away normal consciousness. Who needs drugs 8) well maybe a occasional hoot, but this to of the earth enhances the experience 8)

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
pea that was beautiful! it is amazing how nature co-exists with us and provides such music all around! hey - we should have our own earthdance here!!! whaddya think?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
earthdance 8) not here my friend..I know a beach..near fanny bay..we will do a trip, overnight 8) good tunes only.

I will bring a crab trap, you bring the bait...cat food!..I know a good spot..you bring the butter :) After we gorge ourselves in the ancestor way :wink: ...we will light our bond fire...lots of good wood on the beach...lots of stars in the sky.. the web and flow of the ocean...its got rhytum....our fire is real big now, you can see it for miles 8) you can drink your wine (one bottle only!) and I will have a hoot. Next we paint our faces :D now the tunes...just tribual..must have good beats..first off deep forest...the one with the pygmies chanting put to nice beat music....oh ya mama! we are rocking now dancing around our fire! We are going nuts...in the groove with the sand, the web and flow of the ocean, the stars, the black night, two dancing fools, big red fire...we are having a mild meld with the earth...we are earth dancing, please leave your cloths on 8)