'Star Wars' actor Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2, dead at 81

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Star Wars' actor Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2, dead at 81
Jill Lawless, The Associated Press
First posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 02:36 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, August 13, 2016 04:45 PM EDT
LONDON -- Kenny Baker, the 3-foot 8-inch (1.1 metre) actor who played R2-D2 in the "Star Wars" films, has died. He was 81.
Baker's nephew and carer, Drew Myerscough, said he found Baker dead Saturday at his home in Preston, northwest England.
Myerscough told Sky News that Baker had suffered years of breathing problems, "which he had borne very bravely." He said the affection of "Star Wars" fans around the world "kept him going, without any doubt."
"He was amazed that, even after 30-odd years, the fans still basically adored him," Myerscough said.
Baker's agent, Johnny Mans, confirmed his death, and said: "He will be sadly missed."
Actor Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in three "Star Wars" movies, tweeted: "So sorry to hear about this. It was lovely working with Kenny."
Born to a music-loving family in the central England city of Birmingham on Aug 24, 1934, Baker started performing at 16 as part of a troupe called "Burton Lester's Midgets"
Baker told The Associated Press in 1985 that Burton had asked him "What can you do?' I said I could roller skate, ride a bike and whistle. I joined them and did all that, and conjuring tricks, played drums and comedy routines as well."
Baker later worked as a DJ and circus clown, and as half a comedy-musical duo called the Mini-Tones.
Fame came when he was cast as the actor inside R2-D2's cylindrical robot costume in 1977's "Star Wars."
"I worked the levers," he told the AP.
Even though R2-D2's dialogue amounted only to beeps and whistles, the lovable droid and his lanky friend C-3PO became two of the series' most beloved characters.
Baker returned for "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" and reprised the role in three prequels released between 1999 and 2005.
He also appeared in films including "The Elephant Man," "Time Bandits," "Willow" and "Labyrinth."
Baker's wife Eileen died in 1993. The couple had two sons.
'Star Wars' actor Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2, dead at 81 | Movies | Entertain
may the formaldehyde be with you. :(

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
His mate, C-3PO, is played by a Briton (Anthony Daniels) and so was Darth Vader (David Prowse).

I wish people would stop saying Star Wars is American. It's not. It's British. It's even filmed in Britain.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I guess that when I reach 81, the old NiCads won't recharge anymore either.

His mate, C-3PO, is played by a Briton (Anthony Daniels) and so was Darth Vader (David Prowse).

I wish people would stop saying Star Wars is American. It's not. It's British. It's even filmed in Britain.

Let me guess .... The Millenium Falcon was made by Hillman?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Baker took Randy Newman's advice to heart.

Don't be daft.

Hillman make cars.

... allegedly ...

Fisher Price also makes cars.

Fisher Price makes TOY cars.

Nice little collection of heartless pricks........

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Star wars was filmed all over the world..You don't have sandy deserts in britain...
Britain was just one location...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_filming_locations

Lucas the producer is American
so.....it's an American product
So you can stop your chest thumping you stupid Brit...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Star wars was filmed all over the world..You don't have sandy deserts in britain...
Britain was just one location...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_filming_locations

Lucas the producer is American
so.....it's an American product
So you can stop your chest thumping you stupid Brit...

Most of it is filmed in Britain. And most of the crew is British. George Lucas believes British film crews are the best in the world and likes using them to make Star Wars films.

Unions, eccentrics and alcohol: the Brits who built Star Wars

You are daft.......not to mention miserable.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Star Wars' alum pay tribute to R2-D2 actor Kenny Baker
WENN.com
First posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 12:48 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, August 14, 2016 01:07 PM EDT
Star Wars creator George Lucas has led the tributes to R2-D2 actor Kenny Baker.
Baker, who was just 3 feet 8 inches tall (1.1 metre) due to a form of dwarfism, passed away on Saturday after a long illness.
The filmmaker remembered the late actor in a touching statement following his death. "Kenny Baker was a real gentleman as well as an incredible trooper who always worked hard under difficult circumstances," Lucas said.
"A talented vaudevillian who could always make everybody laugh, Kenny was truly the heart and soul of R2-D2 and will be missed by all his fans and everyone who knew him."
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy added, "We're all saddened to learn of Kenny's passing. There is no Star Wars without R2-D2, and Kenny defined who R2-D2 was and is. He will be greatly missed."
Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars trilogy, wrote on Twitter after news of Baker's death broke, "Goodbye #KennyBaker A lifelong loyal friend - I loved his optimism & determination He WAS the droid I was looking for!"
Born in Birmingham, England, the star's small size saw him cast by Star Wars director Lucas as R2-D2 in the original 1977 film, with Kenny placed inside the robot and operating it from within.
He reprised the role in both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as the Star Wars prequel films, playing R2-D2 for the last time in the 2005 instalment Revenge of the Sith.
Baker also starred in a number of other much loved films, including classic children's adventure comedy The Goonies, Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits and another science-fiction blockbuster, Flash Gordon.
His agent told the Press Association on Saturday, "He will be sadly missed." He added Baker had been ill for a couple of years, and had been cared for by his nephew.
Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the three prequel films of the sci-fi trilogy, wrote on Twitter, "So sorry to hear about this. It was lovely working with Kenny."
Boba Fett actor Daniel Logan said, "So sad to hear one of my dearest friends passed away. Rest in peace Kenny Baker. Love you. Will miss you!" while Lord of the Rings star Dominic Monaghan tweeted, "You left your legendary marks #KennyBaker #rip to a lovely gent and a fantastic legacy. @starwars."
Director Kevin Smith, who is a huge Star Wars fan, paid a touching tribute to the diminutive actor on social media. "Rest in Peace @starwars legend #KennyBaker - whose name I learned at age 7 because he brought #R2D2 to life. Feels like losing family..." he posted on Twitter.
British director and filmmaker Edgar Wright also tweeted, "RIP R2D2. Farewell Fidget, Time Bandit. Goodbye Mister Kenny Baker."
Baker's niece told the Guardian on Saturday, "It was expected, but it's sad nonetheless. He had a very long and fulfilled life. "He brought lots of happiness to people and we'll be celebrating the fact that he was well loved throughout the world. We're all very proud of what he achieved in his lifetime."
Kenny Baker is pictured in this file photo. (Daniel Deme/WENN.COM)

'Star Wars' alum pay tribute to R2-D2 actor Kenny Baker | Movies | Entertainment