Rip ziggy stardust

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
David Bowie has passed away at age 69 Wireimage

David Bowie, the legendary singer-songwriter and actor, has died after a long battle with cancer. He was 69.
Sidebar

10 David Bowie Songs That Paved the Way for 'Blackstar' »
The artist's Facebook page announced the news, with the singer's rep confirming his death to Rolling Stone. "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer," the statement read. "While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief."
One of the most original and singular voices in rock & roll for nearly five decades, Bowie championed mystery, rebellion and curiosity in his music. Ever unpredictable, the mercurial artist and fashion icon wore many guises throughout his life. Beginning life as a dissident folk-rock spaceman, he would become a glam-rock alien (Ziggy Stardust), a well-dressed, blue-eyed funk maestro (the Thin White Duke), a drug-loving art rocker (the Berlin albums), a new-wave hit-maker, a hard rocker, a techno enthusiast and a jazz impressionist.
Along the way, he charted the hits "Space Oddity," "Changes," "Fame," "Heroes," "Let's Dance" and "Where Are We Now?" among many others. Accordingly, his impact on the music world has been immeasurable. Artists who have covered Bowie's songs include Joan Jett, Duran Duran, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Arcade Fire, Oasis, Ozzy Osbourne, Morrissey, Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bauhaus, Nine Inch Nails.

Two days before his death, the singer put out his final LP, ★ (pronounced Blackstar). The record reflected the ever-evolving, chameleonic artist's interest in jazz and hip-hop. "We were listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar," producer Tony Visconti said of the recording sessions. "We wound up with nothing like that, but we loved the fact Kendrick was so open-minded and he didn't do a straight-up hip-hop record. He threw everything on there, and that's exactly what we wanted to do. The goal, in many, many ways, was to avoid rock & roll."

Born on January 8th, 1947, Bowie emerged in the late Sixties as one of the freshest and most singular voices of his generation. Each album he released offered a new glimpse at his genius, whether on the glam-rock of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, the art-rock of Low or the adventurism of his surprise 2012 comeback album The Next Day.
Bowie also enjoyed a long career as an actor, with memorable rolls in The Man Who Fell to Earth, Labyrinth, The Hunger, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and The Prestige, among others. His latest theatrical venture was Lazarus, an off-Broadway musical that continued the story of his character in The Man Who Fell to Earth with songs from throughout his career and originals.
This is a developing story and will be updated frequently.

http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bbJxak64Kr4kEzacwqm_6l&u=rollingstonehttp://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bbJxak64Kr4kEzacwqm_6l&u=RollingStone

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
me neither but rebel rebel is a god-tier tune.

best 'kiss' version:

btw, why are you up at this hour? LOL.

I mean, I start work at 6:30 eastern, you?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh wow. This is completely unexpected. I was not a lifelong fan but he was one of those artists who's catalogue was so prolific, I'm sure almost everyone has at least one song of his in their favorite list somewhere.

RIP

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
David Bowie dies of cancer aged 69 : (oh Official Thread)

David Bowie dies of cancer aged 69

The singer-songwriter and producer excelled at glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during an eclectic 40-plus-year career.

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 69.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

The influential singer-songwriter and producer excelled at glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career. He just released his 25th album, Blackstar, Jan. 8, which was his birthday.

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars,” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

With his different-colored eyes (the result of a schoolyard fight) and needlelike frame, Bowie was a natural to segue from music into curious movie roles, and he starred as an alien seeking help for his dying planet in Nicolas Roeg’s surreal The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Critics later applauded his three-month Broadway stint as the misshapen lead in 1980’s The Elephant Man.

Bowie also starred in Marlene Dietrich’s last film, Just a Gigolo (1978), portrayed a World War II prisoner of war in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983), and played Pontius Pilate in Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ (1988). He also starred opposite Jennifer Connelly as Jareth the Goblin King in the 1986 cult favorite Labyrinth, directed by Jim Henson. And in another groundbreaking move, Bowie, who always embraced technology, became the first rock star to morph into an Internet Service Provider with the launch in September 1998 of BowieNet.

Born David Jones in London on Jan. 8, 1947, Bowie changed his name in 1966 after The Monkees’ Davy Jones achieved stardom. He played saxophone and started a mime company, and after stints in several bands, he signed with Mercury Records, which in 1969 released his album Man of Words/Man of Music. That featured “Space Oddity,” his poignant song about an astronaut, Major Tom, spiraling out of control.

In an attempt to stir interest in Ziggy Stardust, Bowie revealed in a January 1972 magazine interview that he was gay — though that might have been a publicity stunt — dyed his hair orange and began wearing women’s garb. The album became a sensation.

Wrote rock critic Robert Christgau: “This is audacious stuff right down to the stubborn wispiness of its sound, and Bowie's actorly intonations add humor and shades of meaning to the words, which are often witty and rarely precious, offering an unusually candid and detailed vantage on the rock star’s world.”

Bowie changed gears in 1975. Becoming obsessed with the dance/funk sounds of Philadelphia, his self-proclaimed “plastic soul”-infused Young Americans peaked at No. 9 with the single “Fame,” which he co-wrote with John Lennon and guitarist Carlos Alomar.

After the soulful but colder Station to Station, Bowie again confounded expectations after settling in Germany by recording the atmospheric 1977 album Low, the first of his “Berlin Trilogy” collaborations with Brian Eno.

In 1980, Bowie brought out Scary Monsters, which cast a nod to the Major Tom character from “Space Oddity” with the sequel “Ashes to Ashes.” He followed with Tonight in 1984 and Never Let Me Down in 1987 and collaborations with Queen, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, The Pat Metheny Group and others. He formed the quartet Tin Machine, but the band didn’t garner much critical acclaim or commercial success with two albums.

Bowie returned to a solo career with 1993’s Black Tie White Noise, which saw him return to work with his Spiders From Mars guitarist Mick Ronson, then recorded 1995’s Outside with Eno and toured with Nine Inch Nails as his opening act. He returned to the studio in 1996 to record the techno-influenced Earthling. Two more albums, 1999’s 'Hours…' and 2002’s Heathen, followed.

Bowie also produced albums for, among others, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop and The Stooges and Mott the Hoople, for which he wrote the song “All the Young Dudes.” He earned a lifetime achievement Grammy Award in 2006 but never performed onstage again.

Bowie was relatively quiet between the years of 2004 and 2012, re-emerging in 2013 with the album The Next Day. Its arrival was met with a social media firestorm, which catapulted it to No. 2 on the Billboard 200, his highest-charting album.

While demand for a tour by the reclusive rock star has been relentless, Bowie kept a decidedly low profile, maintaining a residence in New York but rarely seen.

In December, Bowie opened the rock musical Lazarus in New York City, in which he revisits the character he played in The Man Who Fell to Earth. The project — directed by Ivo van Hove and starring Michael C. Hall — was initiated by Bowie, who long nurtured the idea of a return to the character he played onscreen in the Roeg film based on American writer Walter Tevis' 1963 sci-fi novel.

A video for the song "Lazarus," which is included on the album Blackstar, was released on Jan. 7.

Survivors include his wife, the model Iman, whom he married in 1992; his son, director Duncan Jones; and daughter Alexandria.

source: David Bowie Dead: Legendary Artist Was 69 - Hollywood Reporter

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Re: David Bowie dies of cancer aged 69 : (oh Official Thread)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXjbI3kRus

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I (we, the crowd I hung out with) spent many hours listening to records of Bowie, Joe Cocker, Led Zep, Black Sabbath etc., during our high school/University years and beyond whilst drinking and smoking pot. Good dazes indeed.

Can't remember the first time I attended his concerts but it was either 73 or 74 at Maple Leaf Gardens (with Iggy Pop opening) and a few more after that time. Was always a good show.

I will say the saddest I ever felt was when John Lennon got killed. I am not a Beatles fan at all but liked Lennon's stuff and I suppose it was the suddenness of his death that hit hard.

And I liked George Harrison (even though some of his religious stuff was kinda uncomfortable) but his death was coming as he had cancer as well.

John Bonham's death was sudden but at that age anyone who dies from drinking too much was considered a champ......

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I didn't know he was sick.

The Glam rock androgyny left me a bit cold but there is no doubt about the quality of his music, which I did enjoy.

69 is too young and cancer is a horrible way to leave. R.I.P.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I could never figure out who he was. It's difficult to be a big fan of someone who tries to be everything.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Was his new single his epitaph?

David Bowie dead: Swansong 'Lazarus' takes on poignant new meaning in lyrics and music video

'Look up here, I'm in heaven'

Jess Denham @jess_denham 51 minutes ago 0 comments

Disturbing: A still from the Lazarus video

David Bowie's unexpected death from cancer at 69 has inspired a flood of tributes from the music world and sparked many to look more closely at his final song, “Lazarus”.

The track's haunting music video was released just last week, showing Bowie hospital-bound, lying on a deathbed with his eyes bandaged, writhing around and singing about being “free just like that bluebird”. So was the “Space Oddity” icon expressing his thoughts on his own imminent death with his swansong 27th album Blackstar?

It seems likely, the opening line of “Look up here, I'm in heaven” taking on poignant new meaning following the sad news confirmed on Monday morning.

Scenes of Bowie frantically writing while clearly heavily tormented are harrowing to watch in the video, which ends with the singer retreating into a wardrobe and closing the door behind him, seemingly bidding farewell as death finally comes for him.

Fans have been sharing the third verse's lyrics “This way or no way, you know I'll be free” in tributes on social media.

Bowie's new album "Blackstar" was released just three days ago on his 69th birthday

The name Lazarus is commonly used in pop culture to refer to the restoration of life and there have been numerous uses of it in art and literature.

Lazarus of Bethany is the subject of one of Jesus's most prominent miracles in the Bible's Gospel of John. Lazarus is brought back to life four days after his burial, proving the power of Jesus over humanity's greatest and most merciless enemy: death.

“This sickness will not end in death,” Jesus tells his followers after learning that Lazarus is ill. “No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies.”

Bowie could easily be describing himself as Lazarus, knowing that his musical legacy will transcend his death. After all, “he's got drama, can't be stolen, everybody knows him now”.

'Lazarus' lyrics in full

Look up here, I’m in heaven
I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
Everybody knows me now

Look up here, man, I’m in danger
I’ve got nothing left to lose
I’m so high it makes my brain whirl
Dropped my cell phone down below
Ain’t that just like me

By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your a ss

This way or no way
You know, I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain’t that just like me

Oh I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh I’ll be free
Ain’t that just like me

Watch "Lazarus" video:

David Bowie dead: Swansong 'Lazarus' takes on poignant new meaning in lyrics and music video | News | Culture | The Independent

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"David Bowie's unexpected death from cancer"...hehehehe...the Brittish are a very silly people.

I think you'll find that nobody, other than himself, his family and closest friends, knew that he had cancer. It is only now that he's died have the media been told about it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
David Bowie street party declared in his hometown of Brixton, south London

His life to fittingly be remembered with Dancin' In the Street

The people of Brixton, London, are expected to gather outside The Ritzy tonight, to celebrate the vibrant life and work of their late local boy, David Bowie.

Flowers and messages have been left in front of the mural that is daubed on a wall of a Morley's store in the district and has led to a Facebook event being set up for a gathering of Bowie fans.

'Bowie's time on this Earth may be over, but he sure left us some great music,' the description reads. 'Today is a day to gather together and celebrate.

'Please share with anyone you think would be able to help with music or any other element of this event - bring instruments, speakers, food and most importantly love.'

David Bowie: 69 facts - BBC News

Follow

Ritzy Cinema @RitzyCinema

Thank you for blowing our minds RIP
11:35 AM - 11 Jan 2016

236 247

Flowers left in front of the mural that is daubed on a wall of a Morley's store in Bowie's hometown of Brixton in Lambeth, south London

David Bowie street party declared in his hometown of Brixton | News | Culture | The Independent